Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   Bad Timing to Sell? (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/1063255-bad-timing-to-sell.html)

VLJ 04-11-2018 02:30 PM

Bad Timing to Sell?

Just curious if anyone knows what the current GT4 market is like from trying to sell recently. My car is a $108K MSRP with CF buckets, chrono, climate control, PCCB, PCM. IMO it's all the good stuff without any of the highly individual, polarizing options like painted interior bits, colored seat belts, or loud stitching.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the car for a few months but if it's bad timing I'm not going to be sad if I keep it, I love this car more than any I've ever owned. Would probably replace it with Exige S240 and keep some cash to invest in my business if I did sell.

Sorry if this question bothers anyone, just hoping to keep from wasting time getting it photographed and ready to sell if it's not the time to sell it.

cox1974 04-11-2018 02:46 PM

i've sold mine to the dealer after 2.5 years and 21.000 km at MSRP (same price of purchase)... bought a gt3 991.2 manual with 7% discount on MSRP ....
a good friend of mine bought a gt4 with 5000 km at 100.000 euro... and sold it after a month at 112.000 euro

ExMB 04-11-2018 02:51 PM

The only one that can make that decision is you. The market is highly location dependent and therefore what goes in one may or may not go in another. You are also dealing with the rumors of a new version to be introduced/released towards year end.
IMHO the chrono is worthless on that car (app issues mostly) since its a fancy clock/timer more or less. The PCM is outdated. PCCBs has its fans but ......
That being said, if the right person came along ..... but how much time and effort are you willing to invest?

Bossing 04-11-2018 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by VLJ (Post 14934715)
Just curious if anyone knows what the current GT4 market is like from trying to sell recently. My car is a $108K MSRP with CF buckets, chrono, climate control, PCCB, PCM. IMO it's all the good stuff without any of the highly individual, polarizing options like painted interior bits, colored seat belts, or loud stitching.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the car for a few months but if it's bad timing I'm not going to be sad if I keep it, I love this car more than any I've ever owned. Would probably replace it with Exige S240 and keep some cash to invest in my business if I did sell.

Sorry if this question bothers anyone, just hoping to keep from wasting time getting it photographed and ready to sell if it's not the time to sell it.

How many miles on yours?

From what I have been seeing, dealers are offering anywhere from 5%-10% below msrp to even as much as 20% below msrp for ones that have some miles. Basically moderate to strong wholesale.... so they can list it above sticker and resell at or near sticker, obviously for profit.... it won't tank like a regular Cayman or 911 but gone are the days to trade-in a GT4, with a few thousand miles on it, for msrp.

Christmas50 04-11-2018 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cox1974 (Post 14934755)
i've sold mine to the dealer after 2.5 years and 21.000 km at MSRP (same price of purchase)... bought a gt3 991.2 manual with 7% discount on MSRP ....
a good friend of mine bought a gt4 with 5000 km at 100.000 euro... and sold it after a month at 112.000 euro

European market is very different. Always was and always will be.

Dr.Bill 04-11-2018 03:46 PM

Right now there are 71 listed on cars.com and 48 on the Porsche pre-owned locator (37 with CPO). Seems like a fair number for a niche car.
Asking price still seems to be at or just over MSRP. Not sure what they actually sell for.

VLJ 04-11-2018 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bossing (Post 14934851)
How many miles on yours?

From what I have been seeing, dealers are offering anywhere from 5%-10% below msrp to even as much as 20% below msrp for ones that have some miles. Basically moderate to strong wholesale.... so they can list it above sticker and resell at or near sticker, obviously for profit.... it won't tank like a regular Cayman or 911 but gone are the days to trade-in a GT4, with a few thousand miles on it, for msrp.

8800 miles. If the dealer offered me 10% back of MSRP I'd probably sell it to them, might drive over there and find out. My guess is, with Porsche Scottsdale, the number would be significantly lower than that. Only one way to find out.

Mr Michael B 04-11-2018 04:19 PM

This is probably the high of the market. When I picked up my Sons GT4 I haggled with the dealer using that theory, and mentioning the possibility of the 4.0 version that could be on its way. They did come super close to my terms after that & shortly after I drove it away.

My thoughts were/are ~ Its a great car, and my Son was ready to enjoy it now. Why wait another day to get one? After the drive home I knew that we wouldn't ever look back & think that we cheated ourselves.

Christmas50 04-11-2018 04:32 PM

I have to disagree with you on high market. Only pristine low miles CPO cars are going for MSRP or slightly below MSRP. IMO times for charging over the MSRP are gone.
I've seen majority of the cars sitting there for months because they are overpriced. If new GT4 is NA I would predict prices will go lower. Again JMO

Dr.Bill 04-11-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by VLJ (Post 14934953)
8800 miles. If the dealer offered me 10% back of MSRP I'd probably sell it to them, might drive over there and find out. My guess is, with Porsche Scottsdale, the number would be significantly lower than that. Only one way to find out.

You could also ask Chandler. And some of the dealers with lots of GT cars - Fresno, North Houston, Colorado Springs, etc. Or try a broker or consignment service.

Christmas50 04-11-2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by VLJ (Post 14934953)

I think they are going to offer you 15% back of MSRP. Selling to them is not the best option.

Perimeter 04-11-2018 05:11 PM

Talk to the GM, AJ (Arthur), at Porsche Chandler

AJ Chacon
Main: 480-994-9000
Arthur.Chacon@porschechandler.com

Please tell him Scott sent you - I have two GT4s, he will know who you are referring to :)

VLJ 04-11-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill (Post 14935138)
You could also ask Chandler. And some of the dealers with lots of GT cars - Fresno, North Houston, Colorado Springs, etc. Or try a broker or consignment service.

Ive talked to CJ, he owns Scottsdale McLaren and Porsche Fresno as well as Ryan Woon at DDW. Neither of them sounded too excited.

Thanks for the Chandler referral perimeter.

Mr Michael B 04-11-2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Christmas50 (Post 14935055)
I have to disagree with you on high market. Only pristine low miles CPO cars are going for MSRP or slightly below MSRP. IMO times for charging over the MSRP are gone.
I've seen majority of the cars sitting there for months because they are overpriced. If new GT4 is NA I would predict prices will go lower. Again JMO

I think we are saying the same thing Christmas. If you were referring to my post that is.

When I said:

Originally Posted by Mr Michael B (Post 14935021)
This is probably the high of the market. When I picked up my Sons GT4 I haggled with the dealer using that theory, and mentioning the possibility of the 4.0 version that could be on its way. They did come super close to my terms after that & shortly after I drove it away.

I meant that these current prices are representitive of the high of the market. Its not going to go up from here. Then going on to say that I used that theory at the dealer myself. Again, it seems as we are saying the same thing.

Christmas50 04-11-2018 05:51 PM

Ha ha ha .Seems like it. LOL!