Sponsored by: APR

Bad Timing to Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Imagine opening Porsche.com and seeing "Prices starting at $190,000.00" for a GT3

That's what we see... even in Germany. It's no secret that German cars are much cheaper in the USA.
Thats just crazy, doesn't make sense.
Its even crazier here in Australia, try $280k USD..
Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

You’ve expressed opinions re the the market and its good to know that you know more about the market than a Porsche dealer. And, MSRP for a .2 GT3 (winged or no wing) is a very desirable purchase price as dealers have about zero difficulty selling GT3s right now.
Do you know the market better? Open auto trader cars.com etc. They are not selling.What I wanted to say is h got great price from the dealer for low optioned car.
And maybe i know market better than some Porsche dealers.They have their heads in the sand.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts
Default German Tax

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Imagine opening Porsche.com and seeing "Prices starting at $190,000.00" for a GT3
That's what we see... even in Germany. It's no secret that German cars are much cheaper in the USA.
How much of that price in Germany is due to taxes?
Sorry I'm not familiar with Germany but in the USA every advertised GT3 price does not include taxes.
The final selling price in the USA is well above the advertised price
Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Christmas50
Racer

Originally Posted by Perimeter
How much of that price in Germany is due to taxes?
Sorry I'm not familiar with Germany but in the USA every advertised GT3 price does not include taxes.
The final selling price in the USA is well above the advertised price
German tax is19% and is included in the price of the carr
Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts
Default GERMANY DISPLAYS ALL PRICES UP FRONT /USA HIDDEN FEES - 34% display price difference

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Just to be certain I understand you, in Germany the numerical price advertised in car ads has all costs within it, (car price, taxes, documentation fees, licensing, ect)? If true, Germany has better consumer disclosure than the USA and does not hide anything to consumers (impressive!)

This would be different in the USA as dealers display a price for car only in all the ads and the final price is different & higher (never displayed up front ). Dealers hide the price of taxes, licensing, documentation, etc. until you perform final purchase paperwork. A smart shopper will ask for final price calculation before buying but he will have to ask.
USA buyers are used to this and the final price is dependent on State and Municipal taxes, 15% is a general number for USA that I'll use for example only below, but each State/City is different.

SUMMARY: When you look at adverts in Germany and see ~34% higher prices for the same car in USA adverts, the price of the car could actually be the same - it is the difference in taxation.
USA has about a 15% EXTRA cost to USA buyers that is NOT displayed in the advertised price, while yours below detail the 19% built into advertised German costs can yield a difference of 34%

Originally Posted by Christmas50
German tax is 19% and is included in the price of the car
Old 04-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Christmas50
Racer

I don't know about licensing.
Yes in Germany for the price of BNW 335I you can get M3 here
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to be certain I understand you, in Germany the numerical price advertised in car ads has all costs within it, (car price, taxes, documentation fees, licensing, ect)? If true, Germany has better consumer disclosure than the USA and does not hide anything to consumers (impressive!)

This would be different in the USA as dealers display a price for car only in all the ads and the final price is different & higher (never displayed up front ). Dealers hide the price of taxes, licensing, documentation, etc. until you perform final purchase paperwork. A smart shopper will ask for final price calculation before buying but he will have to ask.
USA buyers are used to this and the final price is dependent on State and Municipal taxes, 15% is a general number for USA that I'll use for example only below, but each State/City is different.

SUMMARY: When you look at adverts in Germany and see ~34% higher prices for the same car in USA adverts, the price of the car could actually be the same - it is the difference in taxation.
USA has about a 15% EXTRA cost to USA buyers that is NOT displayed in the advertised price, while yours below detail the 19% built into advertised German costs can yield a difference of 34%
Do you work for Porsche Marketing Germany? lol Only tax is included, which does not offset exchange rates and is still more than most all states.... I live this everyday. NEVER will the price be offset to just the 19%... NEVER. Chock on exchange rates (The cars are built where?)... and you'll see how silly it is. And why the air-cooled market here is flooded with US-reimports. US cars are cheaper... simple as that... So much so that if they offered the CS package in the USA... You would have seen them come right back here.

BTW your math is a tad off. Once you factor in xrates you will see your 34 percent differential drop to 24 percent (10 diff say 15 vs 25%)... still HUGE offset.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

A bit OT........ but this GT4 is available for $829 per month for a loan term of 12 years assuming you can put almost $21K down.

SMH

https://jalopnik.com/this-insane-loa...ven-1825278525
Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Christmas50
Do you know the market better? Open auto trader cars.com etc. They are not selling.What I wanted to say is h got great price from the dealer for low optioned car.
And maybe i know market better than some Porsche dealers.They have their heads in the sand.
Like I said - you seem to think you know the market (and specifically the market for this particular transaction) better than Porsche dealer(s).

And I haven’t made any claims re the GT4 market...
Old 04-17-2018, 01:53 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious about where you get 15% from. The highest sales tax in the US is 10% ish. Where is the other 5% coming from?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale..._United_States

Old 04-17-2018, 02:10 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman

Curious about where you get 15% from. The highest sales tax in the US is 10% ish. Where is the other 5% coming from?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale..._United_States

Clearly you've purchased a car before.

Tax, registration, and dealer doc fees add up.

In Phoenix the tax is 8.3% registration on my Cayman last year was $1,300 ish, and doc fee was $450 when I bought it. That's $10,000 in fees on a $100,000 car so 10% but other states may vary greatly.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:36 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,185 Likes on 634 Posts

in CA its +10ish % 7.5-8% tax + reg. Also you pay tax on the gross sale not the net lees trade if any. So if you buy a car for 100k less a 50k trade you pay tax on the 100k not the 50k. So you end up paying 10k in tax and fees on a 50k sale or 20%.carl
Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VLJ
Clearly you've purchased a car before.

Tax, registration, and dealer doc fees add up.

In Phoenix the tax is 8.3% registration on my Cayman last year was $1,300 ish, and doc fee was $450 when I bought it. That's $10,000 in fees on a $100,000 car so 10% but other states may vary greatly.
Yes, I understand where you might get to 10% with 8.3% sales tax, but I’d like to understand where 15% comes from.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:00 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
in CA its +10ish % 7.5-8% tax + reg. Also you pay tax on the gross sale not the net lees trade if any. So if you buy a car for 100k less a 50k trade you pay tax on the 100k not the 50k. So you end up paying 10k in tax and fees on a 50k sale or 20%.carl
Okay, but if you leave a trade out of the equation, where does the extra 5% come from?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:23 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman

Yes, I understand where you might get to 10% with 8.3% sales tax, but I’d like to understand where 15% comes from.
Different states have different tax rates, registration fees, and acquisition costs. There might be some under 10% and there might be some over 10%

Quick Reply: Bad Timing to Sell?