Sponsored by: APR

Pilot Sport 4S ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:07 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Pilot Sport 4S ????

Anyone running those? They sound great and I really want to replace the M SP2's on the car. Not a fan with the weather we have here in Seattle. Sure they are great with sunny weather and a track, but yeeesh...daily driving in cold and rain....blah.

The Conti Extreme Contact Sports also sounded pretty good. Couple hundred buck cheaper than the PS4S. Not sure if it's worth the money savings. Wife and I are headed out on a road trip to visit friends next weekend and the forcast is rain rain rain. Not sure I'm thrilled about having the SP2's on the car for that trip.

*Might have a near-new set of SP2's for sale in the near future... #cheap #getoutofmygarage
Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Heard nothing but good review about the 4S especially for rain driving!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:43 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Pilot Sports will match the GT4 better than the Contis. The latter is good but IMHO the tread will be a bit squishy compared to the PS4s.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I have a set of MPS4S on my GT4. North of 8000 miles with plenty of tread left after 2 Smokies events and about 4 track days. Good grip in the dry and great in the rain.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:09 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 173 Posts

I put a set on my Audi S3 for summer use last year and have been very happy. You can't really get much better than Alan C's GT4-specific endorsement above, though.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:47 AM
GT4John
Racer

Thank guys. Much appreciated. Sounds like a phone call to my tire guy is due tomorrow morning.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:35 AM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe a dumb question but: how much worse are Sport 4s than SC2 for track use (huge or ??)? I have 10k on current SC2 with 4 days on track and have been impressed with the longevity and street ride quality. Was planning to replace with same, but if 4s isn't too much slower for lap times maybe they would work for me. VIR ref times are 2:14 +/- a couple of secs. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:03 PM
GT4John
Racer

My understanding is a pretty huge difference. Even this AM, my tire guy I was talking to was laughing at me for driving the SC2's up here in the winter. "Those are track tires," were his words. I think the 4S will make an awesome street tire, but I'm fairly certain they are nothing close to the SC2's on the track. Maybe search YouTube??? I bet someone has done a comparison.

BTW....did end up pulling the trigger on the 4S's this AM. Stoked.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:13 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

michelin CUP tires, old or new versions are primarily track oriented tires that can be driven on the street, as such they are really bad with rain and cold temps

conversely the super sport and 4s successor are sporty road tires that can do some light track duty without chunking tread or embarrassing sidewall rollover

i used to live in seattle... you should go 4s and if you are serious tracker beyond intermediate skill level and speed you should get an extra set of wheels and run cup 2 or re71's for hpde days

gt4 is very capable car and will eat road tires if driven aggressively on track by a good driver
Old 03-31-2018, 06:34 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John

*Might have a near-new set of SP2's for sale in the near future... #cheap #getoutofmygarage
* When will you know if you do or not?
* Do you actually mean "SC2" as in Sport Cup 2?
#WouldLikeToSaveSomeCoin
#ATLisLongWayFromSeattleForShipping
Old 03-31-2018, 09:36 PM
GT4John
Racer

LOL....you're the SECOND person from Atlanta to hit me up.

I talked with Greyhound bus this AM. I didn't know the exact weights of the tires, so I guessed underweight a bit. I would say around $250 for shipping. The Sport Cup 2's will be off my car and available this week. The first guy that PM'd me has first dibs, but if we can't agree on a price I'll update this thread.

I'm going to check with my dealer, but I have a feeling they put these tires on during it's CPO. Which means they have around 200 miles of street-only driving on them. I dont' *know* that...but I will check. They certainly appear very new.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

I talked with Greyhound bus this AM. I didn't know the exact weights of the tires, so I guessed underweight a bit. I would say around $250 for shipping. The Sport Cup 2's will be off my car and available this week. The first guy that PM'd me has first dibs, but if we can't agree on a price I'll update this thread.

I'm going to check with my dealer, but I have a feeling they put these tires on during it's CPO. Which means they have around 200 miles of street-only driving on them. I dont' *know* that...but I will check. They certainly appear very new.
Tirerack will give you weights on the spec sheet. For $250 you are dreaming, expect a big tip for getting them to transport, etc, etc. etc
Old 03-31-2018, 09:51 PM
GT4John
Racer

@ExMB - Not following. Just had four chairs Greyhounded up from Reno. It was super reasonable, considering how bulky they were. And they arrived overnight. Crazy. No issues and no problems. The tires just need to be super-saran-wrapped and dropped off at the station. No fuss. Buyer would need to pick them up at the station on their end. The actual quote was $180....but like I mentioned, I was a bit light on the weights. For reference, last week this same station shipped out a set of tires that were 60 pounds a piece (240lb total) to the East Coast. Cost on that was $410. Takes about a week depending on weather.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:05 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

@ExMB - Not following. Just had four chairs Greyhounded up from Reno. It was super reasonable, considering how bulky they were. And they arrived overnight. Crazy. No issues and no problems. The tires just need to be super-saran-wrapped and dropped off at the station. No fuss. Buyer would need to pick them up at the station on their end. The actual quote was $180....but like I mentioned, I was a bit light on the weights. For reference, last week this same station shipped out a set of tires that were 60 pounds a piece (240lb total) to the East Coast. Cost on that was $410. Takes about a week depending on weather.
I've used Greyhound in the past to ship rollbars. Always much cheaper than UPS OR FedEx.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
* When will you know if you do or not?
* Do you actually mean "SC2" as in Sport Cup 2?
#WouldLikeToSaveSomeCoin
#ATLisLongWayFromSeattleForShipping

@NoGabiker... Guess who's first on the list?

Hope to be with Chin at Road ATL on 4/9.... you should come out!

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport 4S ????