Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone own BOTH a GT4 and a RS? Would You...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Where do you live? Hope you have some great roads, otherwise a shame not to track either car.
GT4 is already more than fast enough for most roads and the RS will feel like it's really straining at the leash if it isn't allowed to run free. And with double the spring rates in the new RS, it really is designed to operate on a track or very special (and smooth) roads.
Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
The RS is a hard car & just too much for the street. The car actually handles better the faster you drive it. The PDKS shifts are intense. I don't think it's even reasonable to compare the two cars. GT4 is junior, a lot of fun on the street, & can go on the track. GT4 is very engaging car to drive & can be driven long distance no problem. I'm not sure the same can be said about the RS.
Excellent real-world points!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:35 PM
okkin
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Glad to see your thread. Im in a similar mental debate.

I was told I have an allocation from my dealer just last week. Admittedly, I’m rather excited to just get an allocation. My build would likely be 220k or so. I’d want WP and PCCB to make the car as light as possible...because RS.

At that price it’s more than 110k more than my PTS GT4. I just installed Dundon headers, ipd plenum/Gt3 TB and Cobb. The car feels noticeably quicker/stronger and of course louder and more fun. If I keep the car, shorter gearing and maybe a 4L/X51 project could be had for less than an RS, possibly even a low spec GT3.

Honestly, I’m wondering if a 718 Spyder or 981 Spyder partnered with my gt4 would be a better combo than just the RS.
Buteo, I researched the USA WP and I can't even justify it...We can't the Titanium Cage and paying for drop links and exposed carbon that's already there with some fancy badging...? Just my two cents.
Do have the race headers from Jamie?
Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 PM
okkin
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Got that covered already...
Please explain this one. over my head I think...
Old 03-27-2018, 04:51 PM
okkin
Instructor

Where do you live? Hope you have some great roads, otherwise a shame not to track either car.

GT4 is already more than fast enough for most roads and the RS will feel like it's really straining at the leash if it isn't allowed to run free. And with double the spring rates in the new RS, it really is designed to operate on a track or very special (and smooth) roads.
That's what I am hearing as well 'Double the spring rates" make is super stiff for the street?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by okkin
That's what I am hearing as well 'Double the spring rates" make is super stiff for the street?
It will be pretty stiff - the current 991.1 RS is pretty comfortable (some say even more comfortable than 991.1 GT3, due to taller sidewalls on the larger tires), but the new one is more purposeful for sure.

Where do you live? How comfortable do you find the GT4?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:59 PM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Guys,

I do own an amazing GT4 that I am very happy with. However, if maybe an opportunity came up for the new .2RS..This has me thinking quite a bit. Is the RS THAT much better for $100K++ more than the GT4? Even maybe spending some $$ for additional headers, tune etc for the GT4? I have never rode in or driven in an RS, and even at that, the new RS will be revised with stiffer springs, more power etc. I can live with the PDK, but I don't intend to track either car at all...

Would you guys do it?
if u dun track ur car, then the RS is pointless purchase. GT4 is a much better all rounder. Dun forget driving dynamics of mid vs rear engine is different too. If u dun have a particular preference for rear engine and u dun track, then forget the RS.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Many RS owners are non-RL’sters and many many don’t ever track their GT# cars.... I do agree that at least even once or twice to try and track it.... the GT car(s) are amazing. Instills confidence too.... GL on your decision OP.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:13 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

If you can afford the RS and are asking the question just go ahead and do it. Otherwise it will always be at the back of your mind. Ask me how I know.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 PM
okkin
Instructor

It will be pretty stiff - the current 991.1 RS is pretty comfortable (some say even more comfortable than 991.1 GT3, due to taller sidewalls on the larger tires), but the new one is more purposeful for sure.

Where do you live? How comfortable do you find the GT4?
I am in Arizona. The ride of the GT4 is perfect for me. I cannot compare to either the .1RS or the.2RS...that's the problem because I haven't been in either car.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 PM
balighshaikh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owned GT4, 991.1GT3 and 991.1RS. No comparison between GT4 and RS. RS is in a completely different league. I would say there is even a HUGE different between a GT3 and a GT4.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I am in Arizona. The ride of the GT4 is perfect for me. I cannot compare to either the .1RS or the.2RS...that's the problem because I haven't been in either car.
Arizona has a good mix of wide open highways and mountain roads. I could imagine enjoying an RS on the street there, but I’d hope you’d entertain the idea of some track time too.

RS will be noticeably stiffer than GT4, but glad you don’t find the GT4 ride stiff - that would be a warning sign.

I’d suggest buying the RS and trying to keep the GT4 also long enough to make an informed choice of which to keep.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:46 AM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I love my GT4 don't own and RS but this past weekend I was at Sebring my friend with his beautiful LO GT3RS took me out for a 30 min session in the advance group, all I can said it's Wow the RS at the track it's just a different animal the PDKs shines at the track this car just want to be driven hard all the time and it rewards you in ways you cant imagine if you dare to drive it the way it was intended to, if money it's not and issue and you can take the RS to the track no question you should get one.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:16 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gac1077
I love my GT4 don't own and RS but this past weekend I was at Sebring my friend with his beautiful LO GT3RS took me out for a 30 min session in the advance group, all I can said it's Wow the RS at the track it's just a different animal the PDKs shines at the track this car just want to be driven hard all the time and it rewards you in ways you cant imagine if you dare to drive it the way it was intended to, if money it's not and issue and you can take the RS to the track no question you should get one.
I was also there for the Chin trackdays event at Sebring.... ewolfpvb's nice Lava 3RS indeed.

Brought my GT4.... Sunday funday it was.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:12 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Getting a lot of responses about tracking GT3 and RS which makes sense.

OP: If you enjoy driving GT Porsches on the road (and it appears you do) then you'll love the RS. The RS is actually quite a reasonable DD. I love PDK so that helps. While I don't esp. miss my RS, they are awesome cars. I'd probably argue they aren't worth the price premium over your GT4 but money is relative to our personal situations.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Ok Guys,

I do own an amazing GT4 that I am very happy with. However, if maybe an opportunity came up for the new .2RS..This has me thinking quite a bit. Is the RS THAT much better for $100K++ more than the GT4? Even maybe spending some $$ for additional headers, tune etc for the GT4? I have never rode in or driven in an RS, and even at that, the new RS will be revised with stiffer springs, more power etc. I can live with the PDK, but I don't intend to track either car at all...

Would you guys do it?
A lot depends on how you’ll use it - and personal preference.

We have a GT4 and a 991RS.

GT4 is my track car and I love and prefer mid-engine. It’s a great “compromise” - awesome on track and civilized/compliant on street - plenty of storage for trips, etc. You know this since you enjoy yours.

RS is stiffer but still do-able for street use. But I agree with all who said it strains at the leash to be driven at “higher levels” and the faster/harder you drive it - the better it is. So you don’t really get to enjoy it on public roads (in the way it’s MEANT to be experienced) without big risk of a ticket or worse. It’s also an attention magnet especially in bright color. Some will tolerate long trips better than others - depends on personal, physical factors.

We took the RS to Treffen Asheville. Long trip and it was fun and reasonably comfortable despite LWB. But 911 + LWB that do not articulate means accessing space behind the seats is inconvenient and limited. We never thought about it before speccing the car (it’s our first 911) so it’s one thing we wouldn’t repeat - especially since it won’t see track time (maybe once or twice under good circumstances but not likely and not more than just a taste).

If I had to keep only one car it would be the GT4.

It’s comparing apples and sneakers. Can’t compare them. Different animals. It’s a thrill owning the RS and it is fun to drive and the rear axle steering is amazing and the engine/sounds are deluxe but it’s overkill for street driving and not as user friendly with LWB and a bit less engaging with PDK but more engaging in a different way because of the dynamics and capabilities.

The GT4 is like a Swiss Army knife - it does SO MANY things. The RS is very nice out of the box except the exhaust which was underwhelming. We don’t like super-loud but still want a good growl. We put a TPC on it (also kept the OEM) and are very happy with the sound. At high RPMs it’s spectacular.

It really depends on how you’ll use it and what makes YOU happy. But if it’s an itch you gotta scratch for yourself - go for it. I doubt anyone ever regrets buying an RS. It’s a cool car and an RS is an RS. You probably won’t regret buying the RS and it’s an experience to be savored - but will it fit your needs for how you like to drive - where you like to go - the roads you have (smooth? Potholes? Tons of LEO?....).

The other factor is that hubby is fairly puckered about cars and doesn’t enjoy taking them places unless parking is perfect, conditions are great, etc. We have turned away from destinations because parking doesn’t meet his requirements. Personally - I’d rather have a car I can enjoy and not worry about as much. I would not squeeze GT4 into a tight space either - but it’s all relative. The GT4 is lower value than the RS and the GT4 doesn’t attract a gazillion lookie-Lou’s whenever it comes to a stop. A purple RS/big wing attracts attention. Period.

The .2 will be better - no doubt - but there will ALWAYS be the next better thing in Porsche’s line-up.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Anyone own BOTH a GT4 and a RS? Would You...