Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Default 981 Spyder Crash

Did any follow this story for the final outcome ........I hope there was no loss of life. Also what happen to the driver .....these cars still have plenty of power.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Foolish and Reckless! The driver should have had his *** pulled from the car and kicked. I'd say he was fined pretty hard once the police had time to review and if someone was injured, possibly brought up on more substantial charges.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:23 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I hope that there was no fatality or serious injury.

A dark line can be seen on the lane he was on. That might be oil. When he accelerated hard and possibly hit the continuous line of dark patch, he seemed to have lost the rear end and went side ways, turning one full circle and facing the right way. He seemed to have lost traction right after clearing the intersection. So, it is likely that he was not at fault. Possibly cold tires (and low ambient temp) could have been contributing factors as well. Even moderate acceleration in those conditions can be problematic. Investigators will determine that. Still difficult to rationalize given the outcome. He may still be accountable regardless.

Last edited by spyderphile; 03-18-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I would say fully at fault ......cold tires with possibly no TC activated, and high rate of speed on a public road. What a shame I just hope all injured were ok was my only reason for posting as this died sometime ago.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I think this was posted a while back although from a different camera. Seeing this view puts me into total shock, why would anyone be so foolish?? I can only hope those that were hit are fully recovered. Sad
Old 03-18-2018, 06:29 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Wow.....my first thought was a cars and coffee type of event. I just don't get why fools like this want to show off leaving parking lots. No matter the circumstance (oil, cold tires, etc.) he will pay a hefty price for failure to control the vehicle. If he has the stones to drive again maybe he'll get a car that seems to set the standard for C&C wrecks.......a Mustang.........Phil
Old 03-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

This is the incident that happened this last year in Boise, ID at a C&C. It's a reckless unnecessary accident that left a number of people in the hospital.

There's another much longer thread buried somewhere here with more of the details.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:10 PM
PRNDL
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Spider Crash

Happened back in September 2017 in Boisie. 11 people, may of them children, were injured and taken to hospital but I don't believe anyone died. There have been lawsuits filed.
DON'T BE THIS GUY.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I can’t see anything at all conclusive that he did anything stupid. The video that I’m seeing doesn’t show much, so why are we assuming the driver was an idiot? Is there a written account of what went down?

Hydroplaning makes people look stupid too.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
I can’t see anything at all conclusive that he did anything stupid. The video that I’m seeing doesn’t show much, so why are we assuming the driver was an idiot? Is there a written account of what went down?

Not making assumptions.

Long story short, the guy was leaving Cars & Coffee and tried to do a burnout. Lost control. Hit pedestrians.

Full RL thread here.

Just the Jalopnik article here.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Not making assumptions.

Long story short, the guy was leaving Cars & Coffee and tried to do a burnout. Lost control. Hit pedestrians.

Full RL thread here.

Just the Jalopnik article here.
Ahh, so more to the story then!

Old 03-19-2018, 01:45 PM
PRNDL
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

More information with a diagram of the scene.
http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...d-coffee-crash
Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Never really thought of a Porsche as a burn out car. I just see douchey mustang people do that. I once had a mustang something or other stop short in front of me, right before a round a bout, and do a burnout before entering the roundabout, only to almost cause an accident.

I like swift take offs from lights from time to time, but never would think of doing something like a burnout anywhere. Can’t be good for the car.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow...feel bad for those people and kid who got hurt. Spyder isn't even a torque monster, takes special skill to really loose it like that.

Legally, unless this guy opted for the highest liability on his insurance, he's probably toast. 11 people injured, 11 lawsuits, it's going to hurt no matter how you slice it. Plus there's video evidence showing intentional high speed reckless driving. Here's Idaho's general stance on it below, but I bet special circumstance lands this guy more than 6 months in jail given the injuries involved.

Penalty for Reckless Driving

Idaho defines "reckless driving" as:
  • driving “carelessly and heedlessly or without due caution and circumspection, and at a speed or in a manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property,” or
  • passing another vehicle when there is a line in the lane indicating a sight distance restriction.
First-time offenders face up to six months in jail and/or a maximum $1,000 in fines. The motorist's driver's license will also be suspended for 30 days. (Idaho Code Ann. § § 49-326(f), 49-1401 (2017).)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D

I really can't understand how anyone can see this video and feel like the driver is defensible in any way whatsoever.

It was a clear day, what circumstances do you think would have led to how he could have "hydroplaned"? ANY reasonably capable driver traveling at a normal rate of speed should be expected to be able to control a car well enough to not go veering off into a crowd.

Unless you are really stretching the limits of imagination to invent some sort of context as to why he may have had to swerve INTO A CROWD to avoid a collision with an unstable nuclear reactor, I'm really curious as to how you came to this conclusion.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Crash