Sponsored by: APR

New and Considering 981 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Adam Chambers
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and Considering 981 GT4

Looking to get into a GT4 and will be selling a 2014 C63 AMG, and a 2007 SL65 AMG. They are both huge power houses but I am wanting to get into a more all around vehicle instead of just a quarter mile monster. What would you consider must have options on the GT4? I am seeing most are pretty well optioned but the one thing I can not decide on are the seats. A must have for me will be the dealer installed child seat (3 y/o) but haven't found info on if that will work with the race seats. This will not be a daily driver but on the rare occasion I am at work and get the call from my wife stating I need to pick up our 3 year old from daycare I will need to be prepared for that. On that point, will the dealer child seat fit in either trunk when not in use? Thanks for any info you may have!

Last edited by Adam Chambers; 03-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM
pcolony
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 03-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Adam Chambers
5th Gear

perfect... luckily the one I am most interested in has the 18 way seats.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

How do you plan on getting one?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Adam Chambers
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Pointbye
How do you plan on getting one?
sorry, fat fingered. 981 GT4. 2016
Old 03-21-2018, 09:49 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

If the car does not come with LWBs it is nearly impossible to get them...I.E., if you think you will ever want harnesses, get the LWBs.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
If the car does not come with LWBs it is nearly impossible to get them...I.E., if you think you will ever want harnesses, get the LWBs.
not nearly impossible....

just very very expensive.

but i agree with the sentiment. if you ever want to put in harnesses, LWB are the way to go for ease of installation.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

I wonder how the cost of a GT4 with LWBs typically compares to a same-spec/same-condition GT4 with sofas? Normally you would assume all options depreciate much more heavily than the surrounding car, so buying a used car optioned the way you want it is cheaper than having to source the option separately, even if it's an easily installed option like seats or wheels.

But with the GT4 I wonder if actual aftermarket LWB cost is baked into the used market? What are they, 7 or 8k on the aftermarket now? I have no idea -- maybe they're 15k.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

The GT4 is a fantastic all around sports car.

I speced mine and it’s lightly optioned: LWB, leather, red accents, the darker al trim, black wheels. I’ve owened it for over two years and wouldn’t change the spec.

re the LWB’s - lots of opinions re comfort, values, etc. If you really want the LWB’s, get them and consider a replacement passenger seat which would accommodate a child seat. If you don’t want the LWB’s, then it’s easy...
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Adam Chambers
5th Gear

honestly not seeing much of a price difference in the used arena between LWB spec and non-LWB spec cars. I will need to try the LWB seats though. Ive been in the 2 way and 18 way and they seem good. Ease of entry and exit is something I will consider too.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:58 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 666 Posts

Re the seats - of course a lot depends on your mobility and how easily you can “fold” yourself (and how tall you are, etc...)
For about 7-8 months we owned two GT4’s - one with LWB (my track car) and one with 18 ways (hubby’s preference). I’m 5’4” and have no mobility constraints. I have no difficulty getting in/out of the LWB but I found the 18 ways infinitely easier to negotiate.

It’s partly that I take a lot of care to ‘hoist” myself over the bolster of the LWB to avoid wearing it (through abrasion) as much as possible - even though I have Eddie’s bolster protectors which look OEM and are a great option for anyone wanting to protect their LWB bolsters. With the 18 ways I just slide in/out of the car and don’t worry about seat wear. I make the entry/exit of the LWB a bit more involved than it has to be - and everyone must decide how much “work” they wish to do to avoid wearing the seat. But even if you don’t care about wearing the bolsters - it’s definitely more “work” getting in/out of LWB as opposed to 18 way (or stock) seats.

I find the LWB very comfortable as long as my lumbar pillow is in position. I can do a 10-11 hour road trip (in one day) without a problem.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 04-02-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Adam Chambers
5th Gear

Thanks, I am 6’5 and have decided against the LWB. 2 reasons, comfort and child seat. Although if I find a great deal on a car with them I will buy it and possibly trade + cash with someone who wanted them and didn’t get them. As long as they can be programmed to work.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:18 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It is easier (but not cheaper) to put in lwbs into a stock 18-way seats GT4. Since the wiring harness present has the occupancy sensor (plus the unused heating and power connections) ready to go.

If you do the reverse, I'm pretty sure you will also need the harness to achieve full seat functionality. However, you will likely net positive on the lwb sale, as they will garner a premium on the after market.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:19 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Chambers
Thanks, I am 6’5 and have decided against the LWB. 2 reasons, comfort and child seat. Although if I find a great deal on a car with them I will buy it and possibly trade + cash with someone who wanted them and didn’t get them. As long as they can be programmed to work.
I am down to make a trade with you if you end up with LWBs... I dropped a few pounds and can fit the LWBs now BTW, keep the C63 if you can.. We have a 14' C63 507 edition sedan as our baby seat hauler.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:19 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,126 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by benben01
I am down to make a trade with you if you end up with LWBs... I dropped a few pounds and can fit the LWBs now BTW, keep the C63 if you can.. We have a 14' C63 507 edition sedan as our baby seat hauler.
Put me on this list as well in the event Bens deal doesn't happen if you end up with LWB's!

Quick Reply: New and Considering 981 GT4