Sponsored by: APR

Thank You Porsche for Hanging On To The N/A Platform

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 03:40 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thank You Porsche for Hanging On To The N/A Platform

First off HUGE Congrats to Porsche for the win! I have never seen a car pushed so hard past the limits to make up the obvious power advantage of the BMWs. Major, major kudos to the P1 and P3 finish!
That being said, there are a few things that I noticed while at this event. I was woken up by two distinguishable sounds in the morning...that of the C7 Corvette and the Porsche RSR. And no matter where I was on the track, I could hear them coming from a mile away. Obviously I was much more partial to the sound of the RSR. While watching the race, every time those RSR's came flying by, the emotion and excitement in everyone's faces was noticeably enhanced versus when the turbocharged Ferraris, BMWs, etc came "whooshing" by. I couldn't help but thank Porsche (and in part Chevrolet) for keeping the excitement via sound alive, as that is a massive part of the experience for me. I can barely remember the sound of proper F1 cars from when I watched the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal when I was younger, and now that the F1 sound has gone I certainly don't want to lose that experience in GTLM or on our street cars any time soon. That being said, hats off to Porsche for sticking to the N/A platform not only in Motorsports but in the GT street cars for another generation!

Old 03-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I just hope they can hang on a bit longer, N/A 718 GT4 please!!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:38 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Macduff
You and me both. So far it's rumored to be true so I'm going to visualize to win : )
Old 03-19-2018, 05:09 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Hey don't forget the Audi V10's. More screaming N/A engines!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Have to agree with you on this one. Owned several M & Porsche(in early 90's) cars and nothing sound like those two. Music to my ears.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I take it you have not yet seen the video floating around of the next gen spyder sounding like a turbo 4?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
You and me both. So far it's rumored to be true so I'm going to visualize to win : )
I'm visualizing it as well, lol, and actually I already drive a 4.0 N/A car to work every day so it isn't too hard. No not a 991.2 GT3 or a 997 GT3 RS 4.0, it's an e92 m3 and it sounds fantastic!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I take it you have not yet seen the video floating around of the next gen spyder sounding like a turbo 4?
Oh I have, but am going to be optimistic on this one. That is not a GT car so the philosophy does not apply right? In AP we trust.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

I'm visualizing it as well, lol, and actually I already drive a 4.0 N/A car to work every day so it isn't too hard. No not a 991.2 GT3 or a 997 GT3 RS 4.0, it's an e92 m3 and it sounds fantastic!
I miss my M3 too even though I sold it to get my 981 Spyder. I am bummed that they went turbo. Was looking forward to either the next gen Spyder or GT4 with that 4 L detuned motor as was rumored.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

First off HUGE Congrats to Porsche for the win! I have never seen a car pushed so hard past the limits to make up the obvious power advantage of the BMWs. Major, major kudos to the P1 and P3 finish!
That being said, there are a few things that I noticed while at this event. I was woken up by two distinguishable sounds in the morning...that of the C7 Corvette and the Porsche RSR. And no matter where I was on the track, I could hear them coming from a mile away. Obviously I was much more partial to the sound of the RSR. While watching the race, every time those RSR's came flying by, the emotion and excitement in everyone's faces was noticeably enhanced versus when the turbocharged Ferraris, BMWs, etc came "whooshing" by. I couldn't help but thank Porsche (and in part Chevrolet) for keeping the excitement via sound alive, as that is a massive part of the experience for me. I can barely remember the sound of proper F1 cars from when I watched the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal when I was younger, and now that the F1 sound has gone I certainly don't want to lose that experience in GTLM or on our street cars any time soon. That being said, hats off to Porsche for sticking to the N/A platform not only in Motorsports but in the GT street cars for another generation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZgz6XHY24
Perfect stated.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

I miss my M3 too even though I sold it to get my 981 Spyder. I am bummed that they went turbo. Was looking forward to either the next gen Spyder or GT4 with that 4 L detuned motor as was rumored.
Hey if we cross our fingers really hard, maybe someone overlaid a different sound onto the video or it just wasn't clear enough footage to make a true determination....

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Perfect stated.
Thank you : )
Old 03-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,089 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Oh I have, but am going to be optimistic on this one. That is not a GT car so the philosophy does not apply right? In AP we trust.
It's not like AP hasnt been wrong in the past.
lol

PS. Thanks for the racing clip John!
Very cool. Its the primary reason why I find it most difficult to be such a loyal F1 fan these days.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:29 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Hey if we cross our fingers really hard, maybe someone overlaid a different sound onto the video or it just wasn't clear enough footage to make a true determination....

Thank you : )
If I cross them any harder they are gonna break!!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
It's not like AP hasnt been wrong in the past.
lol

PS. Thanks for the racing clip John!
Very cool. Its the primary reason why I find it most difficult to be such a loyal F1 fan these days.
I have a few more i'll be uploading onto youtube soon. Wishing I was born about 20-30 years earlier...

If I cross them any harder they are gonna break!!!!
Lol well said!

Quick Reply: Thank You Porsche for Hanging On To The N/A Platform