Sponsored by: APR

LWB Feel question clunk / cushion compression

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:41 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts
Default LWB Feel question clunk / cushion compression

Hey guys - I'm new to the light weight bucket seat in my GT4. I had 18 ways before.

I was wondering if a certain feel is normal. I'll try my best to describe it. It feels like over sharp bumps in the car the cushioning in the seat compresses all the way touching the shell.

The way it feels is an abrupt bump / knock when going over sharp bumps.

Does this make sense? Almost like a clunk or something. I've got warranty on the car, I just wondered if it was something I needed to have checked out.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Mine does not feel as though the cushion compresses. It can be described as "stiffly sprung" and not a "soft" riding car - but I don't have a sense of feeling the hard seat bottom, rather than the cushion - over bumps.

If that were my car and I was experiencing what you describe, I'd want my tech to drive it and feel what I'm feeling. I'd also want to drive another GT4 with LWB (if at all possible) to see if my car felt different from another.
Not sure where you are located but if you are in my area you're welcome to drive mine once it comes out of hibernation.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Mine does not feel as though the cushion compresses. It can be described as "stiffly sprung" and not a "soft" riding car - but I don't have a sense of feeling the hard seat bottom, rather than the cushion - over bumps.

If that were my car and I was experiencing what you describe, I'd want my tech to drive it and feel what I'm feeling. I'd also want to drive another GT4 with LWB (if at all possible) to see if my car felt different from another.
Not sure where you are located but if you are in my area you're welcome to drive mine once it comes out of hibernation.
I'm in the bay area california. Yeah I would like to drive another one over regular roads to test it out and see.

Perhaps I'll check the seat bolts to see if they are tight.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
I'm in the bay area california. Yeah I would like to drive another one over regular roads to test it out and see.

Perhaps I'll check the seat bolts to see if they are tight.
Seat bolts is a good thought. They used to come a bit loose in my Z06 every so often (it was race seats I put in - not OEM).
At the very least - if you can't drive another one - if you have a trusted tech with a good "butt-o-meter" they should be able to tell if something is off.
And in that area of the country I'd think there are other GT4's around - maybe someone will offer a test drive or maybe you'd find one used at the dealer that they'd let you take for a short spin.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help. Still hoping someone will chime in.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Check the bolts...
Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Check the bolts...
Bolts were / are super tight. I still feel like it's the cushion or something hitting against the shell. With visual inspection the seat seems tip top.

I'm guessing a little flex / padding compression on hard road bumps is normal. I'm just paranoid because a) never had those seats and b) i'm the third owner.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Bolts were / are super tight. I still feel like it's the cushion or something hitting against the shell. With visual inspection the seat seems tip top.

I'm guessing a little flex / padding compression on hard road bumps is normal. I'm just paranoid because a) never had those seats and b) i'm the third owner.
You may want to pull the seat pads and check ?
Its an easy task... Its just velcroed in
I am local if you want to swing by after the monsoons depart
Regards
Ed
Old 03-20-2018, 02:01 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
You may want to pull the seat pads and check ?
Its an easy task... Its just velcroed in
I am local if you want to swing by after the monsoons depart
Regards
Ed
I might take you up on that! I still need to install my covers!

So your seats don't ever feel like that?

Maybe I'm too much of a lard ***. Lol.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:31 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I might take you up on that! I still need to install my covers!

So your seats don't ever feel like that?

Maybe I'm too much of a lard ***. Lol.
Oh sorry I didn’t know you have covers ?
sure when the weather clears come by and we can kill two birds with one stone ( am I allowed to say that in this state &#128521?
best regards
Ed

Old 03-21-2018, 12:17 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Do you have seat angle adjusters installed? If so they can make the seat drop down too far in the rear and clunk against the seat frames. Try raising the seat up to mid-way through the travel and see if it still happens.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:37 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Do you have seat angle adjusters installed? If so they can make the seat drop down too far in the rear and clunk against the seat frames. Try raising the seat up to mid-way through the travel and see if it still happens.
I never installed one. How do I tell if the car has it? who makes the adjuster so I can see what it looks like?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

I suggest you ditch those LWBs quickly to, say...me!

BTW: where did you get them?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I never installed one. How do I tell if the car has it? who makes the adjuster so I can see what it looks like?
brendan

this is what marty is talking about

http://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-07

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1006...iber-lwbs.html

my 991 buckets in all cars i have them in do not bottom at all - you are heavier than me but not by that much - something is wrong with your seat/cushion... maybe a harness belt or loop stuck down there??
Old 03-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

All bolts? Not just the floor? ...I can promise you, I'm the heaviest GT4 driver there is.. and they do not knock.

Quick Reply: LWB Feel question clunk / cushion compression