Sponsored by: APR

Blinking lights or alarm going off while towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:28 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Blinking lights or alarm going off while towing

Was driving back from VIR with the car on an open trailer. It's been towed like this numerous times without any strangeness happening. Three times during the 1 hr 20 min trip the tail lights started blinking (the car is backed onto the trailer so tail lights are easy to see). I did not hear the horn going off. It might have been, but not sure I would hear it given highway speeds and windows down.

I had locked the car originally when it was loaded. The key was in the passenger front seat and was next to my phone - it was just sitting there with nothing on top of it. The blinking happened twice, and then I moved the key away from the phone (thinking "is the phone causing this?"), and it did it a third time. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes between each episode. To get it to stop I believe I had to press unlock and lock again. To be honest I don't recall, but with enough button pressing on the key, the blinking stopped.

Anyone every come across this? This was just yesterday, so have not driven the car since then. It seemed fine when I drove it off the trailer.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:12 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm pretty sure that is supposed to happen when you lock the car and trailer it. Otherwise the car could be towed/stolen.

I alway leave the car unlocked while trailering.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Only had the alarm go off when I hit a pot hole or similar. The car was locked while trailering.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has happened to me a few times as well. Locking the car arms the alarm. Movement from towing triggers alarm. Tow with the vehicle unlocked.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:02 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Okay, thanks!! And thanks for not giving me the RTFM reply. I would hope this info is in the manual.

I must have towed with doors unlocked previously...

Quick Reply: Blinking lights or alarm going off while towing