Sponsored by: APR

DSC Sport & Windows 10

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Default DSC Sport & Windows 10

I had been using the SilLabs Virtual COM Port (Windows 7/8/8.1/10 - v6.7.5) successfully on a new Win 10 laptop to connect to the DSC box. On Feb 15 the laptop auto downloaded MS update KB4087256 and since then I have not been able to WRITE, but can still Reset Board, Read and Log. The WRITE process (1899 cells to be populated) stalls at a different point each attempt (rarely more than 35%) and the error message is basically that the process has "timed out"

I have an old XP laptop with which I can access the device (using the same Virtual COM port software and same cabling) to read and write data to and from.

So my issue seems to be limited to my Win10 machine and the only change between fully functional pre-Feb 15 and now partially functional state seems to be the MS update referred to above.

I have reached out to SilLabs who are fairly unresponsive but note one SilLabs forum poster that reported:

QUOTE:
When windows 10 is updated the usb driver is changed from 6.7x to 10.1x which prevents the usb devices from working correctly......This is a complete breakage for many users. The guidelines for driver download on your web site are correct, that 6x must be used, but someone needs to tell Microsoft update to ignore 10.x
END QUOTE:

SilLabs responded by opening a Support Ticket 8 days ago

Looking at my Win 10 laptop's Device Manager shows for the currently installed USB Bridge:
* device is working correctly
• driver file details show as
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\silabser.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\WdfCoinstaller01009.dll"
• but confusingly Events information says "Device USB\VID_10C4&PID_EA60\0001 requires further installation"

So..
anyone else with recent Win 10 updates running into the same problem WRITING to the DSC box, and
are other Win10 Device Managers showing the same file details and Events information as in the italics above?

Any experiences/help appreciated...
Old 03-15-2018, 02:51 PM
larrynic
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm the exact same experience encountered this morning. I'm unable to communicate with in the tuning software via Port 3 (which is where the device manager says the DSC Sport is communicating from).

Oddly enough, I did update my firmware successfully via the same connection, via the firmware update utility. SO, there is some communication able to happen.

I have a Win10 device for my work that does not have that KB installed on it yet (corp Admin managed). I'll see if I have better luck with that this evening, and report back.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

I am not sure why I seem to have been the only Win10 user with this problem other than it might have been a particular combination of OS build and Updates.

Anyway after absolutely no help from SilLabs I had a MS Certified guy check the Laptop and interface but he was unable to determine the root cause. So I had Win7 installed on the laptop and low and behold it all worked again - so no more MS updates destabilising third-party drivers/devices... it is my only MS laptop and will remain lonely and unconnected to my network.

I have a possible cause in mind however.. a developer posted on the SilLabs help forum that he had observed the baud rate being changed on the SilLabs interface by a Win10 update forcing it to communicate at 9600 rather than the 57600 his target device was expecting - the effect was to stop communication. SilLabs said they would look at it but if a valid issue it would likely be addressed with a bunch of other fixes as and when.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport & Windows 10