Sponsored by: APR

GoPro compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default GoPro compatibility

Does anyone know if the GoPro hero 5 and 6 are compatible with the Porsche track precision app as an external camera? The FAQ section within the app says any GoPro labeled Hero 4, but I’m curious if anyone has tried to pair a later model GoPro.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mikey, What model go pro do you have? I can try Allsion's Hero 5 if you want me to if you are thinking of buying one. I have an old one that I do not think is compatible
Old 03-16-2018, 12:19 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drjimh
Mikey, What model go pro do you have? I can try Allsion's Hero 5 if you want me to if you are thinking of buying one. I have an old one that I do not think is compatible
Jim, I’m going to buy one. I’d like to get a 5 but I want to make sure it works with the app first.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike
I looked for it in the Go Pro bag and could not find it. Called Allison, she has it with her at school. Sorry can not help
Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

No problem. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Hibble
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been trying to setup the PTPA with a Hero 5 and haven’t figured it out yet. I can connect to the camera’s WiFi and it’s recognized in the app, but I can’t connect to the car’s WiFi at the same time.

Has anybody had success setting this up?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:12 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Bumping this... MarcD or others... anyone successful in using the app to control a GoPro?

Why is this option in the settings if Id doesn't work?

Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Bumping the thread... can you have both external camera and car connected at the same time? Thanks if anyone has managed to do this..

Last edited by Mcx; 10-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Anyone figured this out yet? I want to get a new GoPro 7 Black but only if it pairs with the PTPA. No one i've asked seems to know
Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM
hugodias
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, have you solve this issue? Thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 01:36 AM
GT4Jayhawk
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the Hero 7 and have been trying to get this to work. If I connect the camera to the gopro app (iphone) and then open the PTPA I can "connect" to my gopro - the app sees it and the camera responds as if it's being connected (and the capture settings change). But that's it - don't get any images or even option to "adjust external camera" - that button is greyed out. It also looks like it locks up the camera. Now, I haven't tried this with the phone connected to the car but I think that will be problematic since I don't see any way to connect the camera to the car's wifi network so that it and the app can be linked at the same time. I'll update this once I can try it in the car but as of right now i'm not hopeful.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 PM
CM Speedster
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gopro hero7

Hi, have you had any luck?, I want to buy one but not sure if its going to work with the app and car!

Clint

Originally Posted by GT4Jayhawk
I just got the Hero 7 and have been trying to get this to work. If I connect the camera to the gopro app (iphone) and then open the PTPA I can "connect" to my gopro - the app sees it and the camera responds as if it's being connected (and the capture settings change). But that's it - don't get any images or even option to "adjust external camera" - that button is greyed out. It also looks like it locks up the camera. Now, I haven't tried this with the phone connected to the car but I think that will be problematic since I don't see any way to connect the camera to the car's wifi network so that it and the app can be linked at the same time. I'll update this once I can try it in the car but as of right now i'm not hopeful.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 PM
GT4Jayhawk
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

I’ve spent some time with the Porsche app and hero 7 in the car and the results were similar to what I reported before - there is no way I can find to get the camera connected with the app on the car’s WiFi. I can connect to the GoPro app via Bluetooth and, as before, the Porsche app can “see” the GoPro but doesn’t allow for any functionality and in some cases locks up the camera.

At this point it’s moot for me anyway. I had a track day yesterday at Thunderhill and had the Porsche app set up for each of five sessions. Set up was normal and everything looked fine. However it only triggered for 1 of the 5 sessions. From what I can see there is no manual way to activate the timer - I thinks it’s GPS driven. So if the app doesn’t trigger for some reason you get nothing. Given that result, even if the external camera option was working, I wouldn’t use the app. Too bad since for the session that did activate it capture each lap really well and the results were great.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 PM
CM Speedster
AutoX

Default SAD

That is just sad, I learned how to use the app and best way I find is to just add the track as a new track and trigger start finish line then it seems to be happy and work the rest of the day. My issue is the video from my iPhone X sucks its shaky and autofocus wont stop messing around thus I am looking at an external video source!

Originally Posted by GT4Jayhawk
I’ve spent some time with the Porsche app and hero 7 in the car and the results were similar to what I reported before - there is no way I can find to get the camera connected with the app on the car’s WiFi. I can connect to the GoPro app via Bluetooth and, as before, the Porsche app can “see” the GoPro but doesn’t allow for any functionality and in some cases locks up the camera.

At this point it’s moot for me anyway. I had a track day yesterday at Thunderhill and had the Porsche app set up for each of five sessions. Set up was normal and everything looked fine. However it only triggered for 1 of the 5 sessions. From what I can see there is no manual way to activate the timer - I thinks it’s GPS driven. So if the app doesn’t trigger for some reason you get nothing. Given that result, even if the external camera option was working, I wouldn’t use the app. Too bad since for the session that did activate it capture each lap really well and the results were great.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:53 PM
CM Speedster
AutoX

Default GoPro PTPA holy grail, figured it out!

OK SO THE PORSCHE APP DOES NOT CONTROL THE GOPRO, YOU RUN THE GOPRO SEPARATELY FROM THE PORSCHE APP, THEN ONCE YOUR SESSION IS DONE YOU HAVE YOUR GOPRO CONNECTED TO THE PHONE THEN OPEN THE SESSION IN THE APP AND TAP EXTERNAL VIDEO AND YOU CAN BROWSE THE GOPRO AND IMPORT THE SESSION VIDEO!!! Mic drop. This is not documented anywhere and that is a huge fail from porsche!
The following 4 users liked this post by CM Speedster:
4seater (02-23-2023), chrisjames654 (10-04-2022), JlewGt3 (03-14-2021), rakh1 (07-15-2020)

Quick Reply: GoPro compatibility