AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 GT4 Side Intake Screens - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 987 - 981 Forum > GT4
Reload this Page >

AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 GT4 Side Intake Screens

Notices
GT4 For the Cayman GT4 and the similar to come Boxster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 GT4 Side Intake Screens

Reply

Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM
  #1  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 239
Default AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 GT4 Side Intake Screens

The Issue


The GT4’s side intake ducts have recessed vents that are difficult to see and clean. If not routinely checked, they accumulate large sized rubber/debris blocking the vents. These vents also have relatively large openings that allow a good deal of the smaller rubber/debris to bypass the vents and make their way up the intake to the filters. Both these issues can lead to a significant reduction in airflow over time, reducing the car’s performance.
.


.
.
.
Our Intake Screens are installed at the entrance of the intake ducts, providing an immediate and significant reduction in the amount of rubber/debris in the intake system clogging the vents and dirtying the filters. Being at the entrance, they are also more convenient to check and clean. This is a great upgrade to the intake system for the street, and very beneficial for those tracking their cars. It also looks fantastic : )
.
.

.
.
Pricing

$348 per pair

Contact Information

Please feel free to email/call me at my contact information below with any questions or inquiries. It would be a pleasure to work with you to meet your goals, and have you join the growing AutoQuest community : )
__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
484-883-6197 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports “Trust the Kiwi”
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM
  #2  
speedy974
User
 
speedy974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport View Post
The Issue


The GT4’s side intake ducts have recessed vents that are difficult to see and clean. If not routinely checked, they accumulate large sized rubber/debris blocking the vents. These vents also have relatively large openings that allow a good deal of the smaller rubber/debris to bypass the vents and make their way up the intake to the filters. Both these issues can lead to a significant reduction in airflow over time, reducing the car’s performance.
.


.
.
.
Our Intake Screens are installed at the entrance of the intake ducts, providing an immediate and significant reduction in the amount of rubber/debris in the intake system clogging the vents and dirtying the filters. Being at the entrance, they are also more convenient to check and clean. This is a great upgrade to the intake system for the street, and very beneficial for those tracking their cars. It also looks fantastic : )
.
.

.
.
Pricing

$348 per pair

Contact Information

Please feel free to email/call me at my contact information below with any questions or inquiries. It would be a pleasure to work with you to meet your goals, and have you join the growing AutoQuest community : )
Looks awesome! What is the install procedure?
speedy974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 PM
  #3  
speedy974
User
 
speedy974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 79
Default

I should also say that I am interested!
speedy974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:49 PM
  #4  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by speedy974 View Post
Looks awesome! What is the install procedure?
I haven't yet created the PDF install guide, but it is a relatively quick job. Once the car is in the air the rear wheels come off, followed by the inner fender cover. Then there are a few screws to undo that allow the side panel to move enough to slide them in place from the rear. Pretty painless : )
__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
484-883-6197 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports “Trust the Kiwi”
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 PM
  #5  
Alan C.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Alan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,413
Default

Expanded Aluminum mesh?
Alan C. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:01 PM
  #6  
DoxCroc
User
 
DoxCroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 33
Default

A video showing how easy the install is would help me decide whether I was interested.
Mike
DoxCroc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 AM
  #7  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
Expanded Aluminum mesh?
Indeed, also form fit to the intake opening

Originally Posted by DoxCroc View Post
A video showing how easy the install is would help me decide whether I was interested.
Mike
I'll be doing some photo/video documentation on our next installation. That being said, I happened to have a Spyder on the lift yesterday and took a little video explanation for speedy974 with my cellphone of how the install goes. I'll shoot you a PM, perhaps I can email or text that over to you as well.
__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
484-883-6197 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports “Trust the Kiwi”
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:31 AM
  #8  
aryork
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
aryork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: where it gets hot in summer
Posts: 509
Default

I cleaned air filters this morning. I could not believe how hard it was to pull them out. I don't have that puller tool I've seen on rennlist, but have a wrench that fits perfectly into the tabs on top and bottom which makes sort of a handle. I actually broke one of the tabs. Ended up having to pry around the edges, pull like heck, and throw some 4-letter words at it. I was thinking someone glued them in as a joke or something. It was cold, so maybe that was the issue. Never been that hard before...
To the point of this thread, I found a pine cone, a lug bolt, about $0.85 in change, and a happy meal toy in the airway.
aryork is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:35 AM
  #9  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by aryork View Post
I cleaned air filters this morning. I could not believe how hard it was to pull them out. I don't have that puller tool I've seen on rennlist, but have a wrench that fits perfectly into the tabs on top and bottom which makes sort of a handle. I actually broke one of the tabs. Ended up having to pry around the edges, pull like heck, and throw some 4-letter words at it. I was thinking someone glued them in as a joke or something. It was cold, so maybe that was the issue. Never been that hard before...
To the point of this thread, I found a pine cone, a lug bolt, about $0.85 in change, and a happy meal toy in the airway.
We find an obscene amount of junk in the airway, but in this particular case I shall quote the Millennials..."pics or it didn't happen" haha
__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
484-883-6197 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports “Trust the Kiwi”
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 PM
  #10  
Diablo Dude
User
 
Diablo Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 427
Default

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport View Post
I haven't yet created the PDF install guide, but it is a relatively quick job. Once the car is in the air the rear wheels come off, followed by the inner fender cover. Then there are a few screws to undo that allow the side panel to move enough to slide them in place from the rear. Pretty painless : )
Are there any holes that need to be drilled in order for screws to be used to act as attachment points?
Diablo Dude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 PM
  #11  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude View Post
Are there any holes that need to be drilled in order for screws to be used to act as attachment points?
No holes or any screws necessary, just two little zip ties are perfect and they come with the kit.
__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
484-883-6197 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports “Trust the Kiwi”
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 PM
  #12  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 239
Default

A little adventure off T13 at Sebring led to quite the blockage in the air ducting on this GT4. Intake Screens going in on Monday : )
.


__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
484-883-6197 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports “Trust the Kiwi”
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:00 PM
  #13  
needmoregarage
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
needmoregarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western PA
Posts: 2,081
Default

Is there any data or testing to quantify the reduction of airflow into intakes with screens installed?
My understanding is the airflow is engineered to a specific volume. Would the screens inhibit enough air to be a long term issue (cumulative effects over time)?

I realize debris also inhibits air flow but it can be regularly checked and removed. The screens are there all the time.
They look great and I’m inclined to think they are beneficial.

My conversation about the airflow was with someone I trust who is extremely knowledgeable and technically savvy in the world of Porsche performance.
needmoregarage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:19 AM
  #14  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by needmoregarage View Post
Is there any data or testing to quantify the reduction of airflow into intakes with screens installed?
My understanding is the airflow is engineered to a specific volume. Would the screens inhibit enough air to be a long term issue (cumulative effects over time)?

I realize debris also inhibits air flow but it can be regularly checked and removed. The screens are there all the time.
They look great and I’m inclined to think they are beneficial.

My conversation about the airflow was with someone I trust who is extremely knowledgeable and technically savvy in the world of Porsche performance.
It was great chatting with you today as always : )

To answer this question yes intake screens do logically inhibit airflow, as they do when installed by Porsche as factory equipment on the GT3s. We haven't seen or felt any decreased performance or lap times on track with the intake screens installed, but we certainly have on cars with their intakes/filters clogged full of rubber and various other debris. That being said, these exact screens are being used consistently in Europe on GT4s by race teams such as Manthey-Racing. We have experienced what they have experienced, which is significant blockage of the air intake system by debris not just at the ducting entryway, but all the way up the air ducting and covering/saturating the air filters, and unfortunately a complete intake system cleaning and replacement of the filters is time consuming and necessary to do often, even just to check what you can't see. It happens quickly enough and significantly enough under race conditions and track days (especially in two/four wheel off scenarios and running off line) that it has been a no-brainer to install the screens for more consistent airflow and prolonged intake maintenance intervals.
__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
484-883-6197 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports “Trust the Kiwi”
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:37 PM
  #15  
morjo02
User
 
morjo02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 293
Default

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport View Post
It was great chatting with you today as always : )

To answer this question yes intake screens do logically inhibit airflow, as they do when installed by Porsche as factory equipment on the GT3s. We haven't seen or felt any decreased performance or lap times on track with the intake screens installed, but we certainly have on cars with their intakes/filters clogged full of rubber and various other debris. That being said, these exact screens are being used consistently in Europe on GT4s by race teams such as Manthey-Racing. We have experienced what they have experienced, which is significant blockage of the air intake system by debris not just at the ducting entryway, but all the way up the air ducting and covering/saturating the air filters, and unfortunately a complete intake system cleaning and replacement of the filters is time consuming and necessary to do often, even just to check what you can't see. It happens quickly enough and significantly enough under race conditions and track days (especially in two/four wheel off scenarios and running off line) that it has been a no-brainer to install the screens for more consistent airflow and prolonged intake maintenance intervals.
plastic or aluminum?
morjo02 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 GT4 Side Intake Screens


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: