Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 GT4 Side Intake Screens (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/1056524-autoquest-motorsports-981-gt4-side-intake-screens.html)

Autoquest Motorsport 03-13-2018 12:37 PM

AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 GT4 Side Intake Screens

The Issue

The GT4’s side intake ducts have recessed vents that are difficult to see and clean. If not routinely checked, they accumulate large sized rubber/debris blocking the vents. These vents also have relatively large openings that allow a good deal of the smaller rubber/debris to bypass the vents and make their way up the intake to the filters. Both these issues can lead to a significant reduction in airflow over time, reducing the car’s performance.
Our Intake Screens are installed at the entrance of the intake ducts, providing an immediate and significant reduction in the amount of rubber/debris in the intake system clogging the vents and dirtying the filters. Being at the entrance, they are also more convenient to check and clean. This is a great upgrade to the intake system for the street, and very beneficial for those tracking their cars. It also looks fantastic : )
Pricing

$348 per pair

Contact Information

Please feel free to email/call me at my contact information below with any questions or inquiries. It would be a pleasure to work with you to meet your goals, and have you join the growing AutoQuest community : )

speedy974 03-13-2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport (Post 14866279)
The Issue

The GT4’s side intake ducts have recessed vents that are difficult to see and clean. If not routinely checked, they accumulate large sized rubber/debris blocking the vents. These vents also have relatively large openings that allow a good deal of the smaller rubber/debris to bypass the vents and make their way up the intake to the filters. Both these issues can lead to a significant reduction in airflow over time, reducing the car’s performance.
Our Intake Screens are installed at the entrance of the intake ducts, providing an immediate and significant reduction in the amount of rubber/debris in the intake system clogging the vents and dirtying the filters. Being at the entrance, they are also more convenient to check and clean. This is a great upgrade to the intake system for the street, and very beneficial for those tracking their cars. It also looks fantastic : )
Pricing

$348 per pair

Contact Information

Please feel free to email/call me at my contact information below with any questions or inquiries. It would be a pleasure to work with you to meet your goals, and have you join the growing AutoQuest community : )

Looks awesome! What is the install procedure?

speedy974 03-13-2018 01:26 PM

I should also say that I am interested!

Autoquest Motorsport 03-13-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by speedy974 (Post 14866392)
Looks awesome! What is the install procedure?

I haven't yet created the PDF install guide, but it is a relatively quick job. Once the car is in the air the rear wheels come off, followed by the inner fender cover. Then there are a few screws to undo that allow the side panel to move enough to slide them in place from the rear. Pretty painless : )

Alan C. 03-14-2018 12:58 PM

Expanded Aluminum mesh?

DoxCroc 03-14-2018 05:01 PM

A video showing how easy the install is would help me decide whether I was interested.
Mike

Autoquest Motorsport 03-15-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Alan C. (Post 14868928)
Expanded Aluminum mesh?

Indeed, also form fit to the intake opening

Originally Posted by DoxCroc (Post 14869539)
A video showing how easy the install is would help me decide whether I was interested.
Mike

I'll be doing some photo/video documentation on our next installation. That being said, I happened to have a Spyder on the lift yesterday and took a little video explanation for speedy974 with my cellphone of how the install goes. I'll shoot you a PM, perhaps I can email or text that over to you as well.

aryork 03-15-2018 11:31 AM

I cleaned air filters this morning. I could not believe how hard it was to pull them out. I don't have that puller tool I've seen on rennlist, but have a wrench that fits perfectly into the tabs on top and bottom which makes sort of a handle. I actually broke one of the tabs. Ended up having to pry around the edges, pull like heck, and throw some 4-letter words at it. I was thinking someone glued them in as a joke or something. It was cold, so maybe that was the issue. Never been that hard before...
To the point of this thread, I found a pine cone, a lug bolt, about $0.85 in change, and a happy meal toy in the airway. :D

Autoquest Motorsport 03-15-2018 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by aryork (Post 14871151)
I cleaned air filters this morning. I could not believe how hard it was to pull them out. I don't have that puller tool I've seen on rennlist, but have a wrench that fits perfectly into the tabs on top and bottom which makes sort of a handle. I actually broke one of the tabs. Ended up having to pry around the edges, pull like heck, and throw some 4-letter words at it. I was thinking someone glued them in as a joke or something. It was cold, so maybe that was the issue. Never been that hard before...
To the point of this thread, I found a pine cone, a lug bolt, about $0.85 in change, and a happy meal toy in the airway. :D

We find an obscene amount of junk in the airway, but in this particular case I shall quote the Millennials..."pics or it didn't happen" haha

Diablo Dude 03-15-2018 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport (Post 14866475)
I haven't yet created the PDF install guide, but it is a relatively quick job. Once the car is in the air the rear wheels come off, followed by the inner fender cover. Then there are a few screws to undo that allow the side panel to move enough to slide them in place from the rear. Pretty painless : )

Are there any holes that need to be drilled in order for screws to be used to act as attachment points?

Autoquest Motorsport 03-15-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude (Post 14871258)
Are there any holes that need to be drilled in order for screws to be used to act as attachment points?

No holes or any screws necessary, just two little zip ties are perfect and they come with the kit.

Autoquest Motorsport 03-24-2018 04:44 PM

A little adventure off T13 at Sebring led to quite the blockage in the air ducting on this GT4. Intake Screens going in on Monday : )

needmoregarage 03-25-2018 08:00 PM

Is there any data or testing to quantify the reduction of airflow into intakes with screens installed?
My understanding is the airflow is engineered to a specific volume. Would the screens inhibit enough air to be a long term issue (cumulative effects over time)?

I realize debris also inhibits air flow but it can be regularly checked and removed. The screens are there all the time.
They look great and I’m inclined to think they are beneficial.

My conversation about the airflow was with someone I trust who is extremely knowledgeable and technically savvy in the world of Porsche performance.

Autoquest Motorsport 04-04-2018 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by needmoregarage (Post 14895879)
Is there any data or testing to quantify the reduction of airflow into intakes with screens installed?
My understanding is the airflow is engineered to a specific volume. Would the screens inhibit enough air to be a long term issue (cumulative effects over time)?

I realize debris also inhibits air flow but it can be regularly checked and removed. The screens are there all the time.
They look great and I’m inclined to think they are beneficial.

My conversation about the airflow was with someone I trust who is extremely knowledgeable and technically savvy in the world of Porsche performance.

It was great chatting with you today as always : )

To answer this question yes intake screens do logically inhibit airflow, as they do when installed by Porsche as factory equipment on the GT3s. We haven't seen or felt any decreased performance or lap times on track with the intake screens installed, but we certainly have on cars with their intakes/filters clogged full of rubber and various other debris. That being said, these exact screens are being used consistently in Europe on GT4s by race teams such as Manthey-Racing. We have experienced what they have experienced, which is significant blockage of the air intake system by debris not just at the ducting entryway, but all the way up the air ducting and covering/saturating the air filters, and unfortunately a complete intake system cleaning and replacement of the filters is time consuming and necessary to do often, even just to check what you can't see. It happens quickly enough and significantly enough under race conditions and track days (especially in two/four wheel off scenarios and running off line) that it has been a no-brainer to install the screens for more consistent airflow and prolonged intake maintenance intervals.

morjo02 04-05-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport (Post 14917416)
It was great chatting with you today as always : )

To answer this question yes intake screens do logically inhibit airflow, as they do when installed by Porsche as factory equipment on the GT3s. We haven't seen or felt any decreased performance or lap times on track with the intake screens installed, but we certainly have on cars with their intakes/filters clogged full of rubber and various other debris. That being said, these exact screens are being used consistently in Europe on GT4s by race teams such as Manthey-Racing. We have experienced what they have experienced, which is significant blockage of the air intake system by debris not just at the ducting entryway, but all the way up the air ducting and covering/saturating the air filters, and unfortunately a complete intake system cleaning and replacement of the filters is time consuming and necessary to do often, even just to check what you can't see. It happens quickly enough and significantly enough under race conditions and track days (especially in two/four wheel off scenarios and running off line) that it has been a no-brainer to install the screens for more consistent airflow and prolonged intake maintenance intervals.

plastic or aluminum?