Tarmac Rally Setup for GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:13 PM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tarmac Rally Setup for GT4

Hey Everyone,

I've got a GT4 and drive mostly in PA & NY. The car is great but the roads around here are so broken up and bumpy. I want to setup my GT4 with a tarmac or forest rally type setup. Get an extra inch or two of ground clearance (lots of very uneven road transitions that I don't want to have to slow down for.) Softer suspension so that the car doesn't skip so much when traveling quickly over really bumpy and undulating surfaces. Also thinking of what tire would make the most sense, I think I'd enjoy something a little narrower so that the overall grip limit is lower and I can enjoy the limits more on the street. I also like to travel down unpaved, gravel roads so I'd want skid pads to cover the entire underside of the car.

If anyone has any links or info to anyone whose done this before, any suspension or suspension components that are made for GT4 rally setup or any info in general about doing this. I've seen the Cayman GT4 R-GT car but haven't been able to find much info on the components they used.

Also please don't post asking why I want to do this, suggesting a different car, etc.... This is what I want to do and I'd appreciate help on how to do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dudical26:
olmy (01-09-2021), TDT (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 06:32 PM
acc_123
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Something like this?

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...ort-rally-car/

The following users liked this post:
olmy (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 236 Posts

Subscribed to this thread.

This would be a cool thing to build. I guess the inspiration comes from the Singer ACS and Safari 911 renaissance.

Trick dampers and chassis strengthening would be the first ports of call, I’d imagine.

Will watch with interest.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:58 PM
Luca Paindelli
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

That's so cool!!! Thanks for sharing...

Carrera and Targa both now part of Porsche branding have a history of rally. OP, Godspeed in your quest!!!!
Old 01-10-2021, 08:01 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I converted my GT4 to a tarmac rally car, suspension and a cage were the biggest challenges. The suspension you are looking for is made by Tractive Tractive Suspension - The Art of Suspension

I have the long travel option with on board cannisters with which you can change the rebound etc. i got alot of wheel travel, like huge, but keep in mind its no good for the track.
The reason so many people go for the Tractive option is that its built for the GT4, pretty much plug and play, and i had the in cabin 2 suspension modes set up for wet and dry conditions in combination with a DSC box in the back which just about everyone has now.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:01 AM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O5C4R
I converted my GT4 to a tarmac rally car, suspension and a cage were the biggest challenges. The suspension you are looking for is made by Tractive Tractive Suspension - The Art of Suspension

I have the long travel option with on board cannisters with which you can change the rebound etc. i got alot of wheel travel, like huge, but keep in mind its no good for the track.
The reason so many people go for the Tractive option is that its built for the GT4, pretty much plug and play, and i had the in cabin 2 suspension modes set up for wet and dry conditions in combination with a DSC box in the back which just about everyone has now.
Thanks for the post, awesome to have met someone who did this already. Did you have to change any of the control arms, uprights, etc? Or just dampers?
What about brakes and wheels and tires?
How about underbody protection?

Do you have any pictures?

Quick Reply: Tarmac Rally Setup for GT4