Caster Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:12 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Caster Question

Hey guys/gals,

I recently installed the Tarett camber plates, shims, tie rods, and thrust arm bushings (for caster)

The question I have is I'm getting a bit of rubbing on the front at full lock. I'm guessing its caster, but it seems slightly odd given the caster from the alignment was 8.5 deg. Considering OEM is around 10 deg. I would figure I shouldn't see rubbing. However, the wheel does seem to be pushed a bit forward in the wheel well, which I wouldn't expect for a 8.5 deg caster.

I'm probably missing something. Attached are the alignment specs and a picture of the wheel in the wheel well.

Just wanted to get you opinions before I do COTA in 1.5 weeks.

EDIT: The before alignment was due to parts being installed.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I can't tell why it would rub with those specs as they all look good, but 8.5 caster is not a problem. That being said, don't worry about it if it only occurs at full lock and it otherwise feels good. You'll never need full lock except for parking at very low speed anyway. I had a brake duct setup on a E92 M3 (3" hoses to backing plates) that only allowed a single turn of the wheel each direction without rubbing and even that was fine street/track as long as you didn't go too aggressive getting into parking spots.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:25 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I can't tell why it would rub with those specs as they all look good, but 8.5 caster is not a problem. That being said, don't worry about it if it only occurs at full lock and it otherwise feels good. You'll never need full lock except for parking at very low speed anyway. I had a brake duct setup on a E92 M3 (3" hoses to backing plates) that only allowed a single turn of the wheel each direction without rubbing and even that was fine street/track as long as you didn't go too aggressive getting into parking spots.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm not too concerned about it, just curious why it would be rubbing if the caster was reduced.

Quick Reply: Caster Question