Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT3 center exhaust conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Under car shot while getting loaded into the truck to Smokies!

Old 04-24-2018, 04:25 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajw45
Under car shot while getting loaded into the truck to Smokies!

Can't wait to hear how it sounds!!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:32 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
ajw45,
Looking forward to seeing and hearing your setup in a couple of days. I'm heading out Wed. morning.
Same here! Have a safe drive tomorrow, the NE truck is already on its way
Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speedy974
I noticed the same from one of the pictures you posted.

Edit: Nevermind, I meant to say that to ajw45. It might just be the angle of the picture.
Hah, I hadn't noticed it until you guys mentioned it but it is just a tick over to the right. Will see what happens when we get some longer tips.....
Old 04-24-2018, 04:52 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Hah, I hadn't noticed it until you guys mentioned it but it is just a tick over to the right. Will see what happens when we get some longer tips.....
There's quite a bit of adjustment range on the tip. Just loosen the three nuts and move the tips to where you want (up, down, left, right, twist, etc.) and retighten the nuts when you get the tip where you want it. As long as your muffler was installed somewhere close to centered, you should have no problem centering the tip.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:46 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Quick update:
After a few days in the mountains I'm torn. Car sounds awesome, like the engine got bigger and angrier, way more of a real change in the sound of the car vs more volume. I don't hit the PSE button anymore, not needed. PSE on I got flagged on my 3rd lap out for hitting 106db, PSE off was okay with selective lifting the rest of the day (think AMP is 98db). Oh, and we now have flames out the tailpipe on the overrun

However, the drone under 3k rpm is pretty bad. Any kind of small medium throttle results in a significant resonance in the cabin. No big deal if you're going to rip it everywhere but highway cruising is very compromised. Love the sound, hate the drone, not sure if I'll be able to pass sound at tracks like Tremblant with mid-90db limits, definitely not going to get anywhere near a Limerock friendly volume. This is with an RS titanium box which would naturally be more prone to vibration. Thinking a DMS quiet center will be the way to go....
Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve gotten used to the drone, haha.

so even with the valves it drones badly?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:23 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

I was expecting those results......I have been using the Cargraphics Cup exhaust for so long now that unless it's a lot more it will be Ok
Luckily we don't have noise limits on our tracks.....
My TPC kit is supposed to ship this week so we will see but from your review it looks like it produces the sound tone I'm after.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Quick update:
After a few days in the mountains I'm torn. Car sounds awesome, like the engine got bigger and angrier, way more of a real change in the sound of the car vs more volume. I don't hit the PSE button anymore, not needed. PSE on I got flagged on my 3rd lap out for hitting 106db, PSE off was okay with selective lifting the rest of the day (think AMP is 98db). Oh, and we now have flames out the tailpipe on the overrun

However, the drone under 3k rpm is pretty bad. Any kind of small medium throttle results in a significant resonance in the cabin. No big deal if you're going to rip it everywhere but highway cruising is very compromised. Love the sound, hate the drone, not sure if I'll be able to pass sound at tracks like Tremblant with mid-90db limits, definitely not going to get anywhere near a Limerock friendly volume. This is with an RS titanium box which would naturally be more prone to vibration. Thinking a DMS quiet center will be the way to go....
but wow, your car sounded amazing down shifting after the straight
Old 04-30-2018, 03:32 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Five12Free

but wow, your car sounded amazing down shifting after the straight
Hahaha, thanks! Just wait till you get those headers installed

I do really like the sound, will try to post a video with in cabin audio from my friend in Mexico with an identical car...
Old 04-30-2018, 03:59 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

One of these days it'll show up at my door...
Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Ok...Quick impression....so got mine on the car installed a few hours ago......I did the one without the valves.
Compared to my previous exhaust which was the Cargraphics CUP exhaust it's a different sound....it sounds almost like a Cup Car even at idle....less boomy and more mechanical, I really like it.
I was afraid when I first started the car cold.....it sounds angry and loud but then settles into a very nice idle, not loud at all.
I did a quick around the block drive at all I can say is wow.....there's a little drone but less than my Cargraphics exhaust, but once you get on the gas I'm pretty sure it's a couple dB louder.
Normal cruising is not loud and actually sounds very nice with the windows down.
I'll try to do a few more runs before our next track day on the 12th and report a bit more.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With this conversion, can one still retain the use of catalytic converters?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:54 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ML///
With this conversion, can one still retain the use of catalytic converters?
Yes....actually with cats it would muffler the sound a bit.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Ok...Quick impression....so got mine on the car installed a few hours ago......I did the one without the valves.
Compared to my previous exhaust which was the Cargraphics CUP exhaust it's a different sound....it sounds almost like a Cup Car even at idle....less boomy and more mechanical, I really like it.
I was afraid when I first started the car cold.....it sounds angry and loud but then settles into a very nice idle, not loud at all.
I did a quick around the block drive at all I can say is wow.....there's a little drone but less than my Cargraphics exhaust, but once you get on the gas I'm pretty sure it's a couple dB louder.
Normal cruising is not loud and actually sounds very nice with the windows down.
I'll try to do a few more runs before our next track day on the 12th and report a bit more.
wait til you hear it WOT at a track, it sounds so good....lately I noticed that if I let off throttle in the higher rpms the over run is extremely aggressive and sometimes scary. I downshift and upshift just to hear the exhaust now, it’s so intoxicating

Quick Reply: GT3 center exhaust conversion?