Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT3 center exhaust conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Well.....I couldn't resist to try the GT3 muffler conversion. Was able to source a used GT3 muffler at a very, very good price and ordered the valve-less kit from TPC.
I currently have Cargraphics Race headers with a Cargraphics Cup exhaust system which is also valve-less. Loud but not super loud...very little drone on the lower rev range with light throttle.
Once I try the new GT3 setup will report back on differences as I think the Carpgraphic option is a very good one...but I can't resist the sound from that last video. I keep coming back every day to hear it!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:07 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Well.....I couldn't resist to try the GT3 muffler conversion. Was able to source a used GT3 muffler at a very, very good price and ordered the valve-less kit from TPC.
I currently have Cargraphics Race headers with a Cargraphics Cup exhaust system which is also valve-less. Loud but not super loud...very little drone on the lower rev range with light throttle.
Once I try the new GT3 setup will report back on differences as I think the Carpgraphic option is a very good one...but I can't resist the sound from that last video. I keep coming back every day to hear it!
I'm about a week away from shipment and I also have CG race headers.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by to_riffic_day
I'm about a week away from shipment and I also have CG race headers.
Nice, please post some pics and video if possible......these kits have a 2-3 week leadtime. So I'm at 3 weeks now!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:16 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I got everything ready...waiting for TPC to finish the kit. Tom from TPC told me that the tips don't end flush with the bumper...just a little bit inward. Can anyone share a photo of their GT3 muffler conversion so I can see if it's acceptable? I don't want problem with my bumper due to excessive heat or exhaust residue. If I need to push them out anyone know of GT3 tips that are a bit longer than stock?
Old 04-13-2018, 02:31 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to pick this mounting bracket from a gt3 because TPC provides the mounting bracket that mounts to the transmission but not the piece that mounts from their mount to hang the exhaust. At least that was my case, so you might want to reach out to Tom to make sure. He sent me photos of the kit mounted up but didn't give me instructions but i noticed this oem exhaust mount so i found it on ebay for cheap.

Also i ended up not trimming my vorsteiner diffuser, the ribs of the exhaust on each end of the exhaust butts up against the diffuser and the heat has basically molded the diffuser around the exhaust a little bit. it's about the size of a quarter on each end. I can post pictures later.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I did get that bracket...had to do a special order from Germany.
According to Tom, The original part number starting 997 has been replaced by one starting 996. Apparently the new part helps in fitting the muffler.
I do need to check that the tips are not too much inboard....
Old 04-13-2018, 03:01 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

It does sit quite a bit inboard, i would say about 1-1.5 inches inboard but can't really say because the vorsteiner diffuser sticks out way more than the stock gt4 diffuser. What bothers me more actually is how far down the tips hang, i pushed the muffler up as far as it can go and there's still a 2-3 inch gap between the tips and the inner top part of the diffuser. Sharkwerks makes a 100mm tip that are longer than the stock tips, im gonna pick that up and see if the larger diameter holes will fill it better or look like poo.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Let me know on those tips....that could be a solution, plus they look very nice!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:45 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by khoahtran
It does sit quite a bit inboard, i would say about 1-1.5 inches inboard but can't really say because the vorsteiner diffuser sticks out way more than the stock gt4 diffuser. What bothers me more actually is how far down the tips hang, i pushed the muffler up as far as it can go and there's still a 2-3 inch gap between the tips and the inner top part of the diffuser. Sharkwerks makes a 100mm tip that are longer than the stock tips, im gonna pick that up and see if the larger diameter holes will fill it better or look like poo.
Doh! I heard my kit should arrive Tuesday. Any idea if the tpc gt4 specific tips help with the gap?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:20 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup. Talked to Tom also, and I thought it was going to be done this week, but now looks like maybe next week. Was hoping to get this done on the weekend I'm actually free, but it is what it is.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:29 AM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by khoahtran
Run 991 cup tips. They're much longer then the street car tips. I have a few sets if your interested send mike@rennsport-one.com and email .
Old 04-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys. Do you think this conversion is possible keeping my Fabspeed sportcats? I dream of those GT3 exhaust notes
Old 04-18-2018, 05:39 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gilou Panizzi
Hi guys. Do you think this conversion is possible keeping my Fabspeed sportcats? I dream of those GT3 exhaust notes
you can use any headers with the conversion because it’s just mid pipes and the muffler behind the headers that change out. I current use fabspeed race headers with mine. The sound will be different though, you’re volume will definitely be lower with the cats. Just like any other exhaust setup.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:40 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
Run 991 cup tips. They're much longer then the street car tips. I have a few sets if your interested send mike@rennsport-one.com and email .
I could be interested, any pics? Tpc doesn't have any of their gt4 tips so another wrinkle in getting this done, looks like the new exhaust setup won't make it to the Smokies event.

Quick Reply: GT3 center exhaust conversion?