GT4 vs GT3 on Mulholland's "The Snake"

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:26 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
4:09 was horrendous.
Seriously? You've lived a sheltered life, my friend.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Seriously? You've lived a sheltered life, my friend.
Huh?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:33 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Huh?
If the action occurring at 4:09 was "horrendous" to you, you must not have been exposed to many driving atrocities. There was absolutely zero wrong with what he did in that particular instance, given the sightlines and the speed with which he was back over the line. Against the ordinances of that county/state? Sure. Just like slow-rolling a neighborhood stop sign when sight-lines are long and nobody's coming. Sure, a zealous cop could ticket in either situation, and if he does, we should man-up and keep our mouth shut. But neither action is "horrendous" in my book. YMMV. Skilled, aware, focused drivers in well-maintained competent cars can safely choose to violate rules that were meant for the 99th percentile of drivers without becoming a menace themselves. Of course, prudence, judgement, caution, situational awareness, visibility, and a host of other skills and attitudes are required for safety, whether the GT3 driver stayed on the right side of the double-yellow or crossed over it briefly. But I saw no indication that he had relaxed any of those qualities. A road marking meant to prevent somebody in a 65 Rambler wagon from trying to pass a 37' RV at that point of the highway isn't always applicable to somebody drifting across for one second in a GT3.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

If the action occurring at 4:09 was "horrendous" to you, you must not have been exposed to many driving atrocities. There was absolutely zero wrong with what he did in that particular instance, given the sightlines and the speed with which he was back over the line. Against the ordinances of that county/state? Sure. Just like slow-rolling a neighborhood stop sign when sight-lines are long and nobody's coming. Sure, a zealous cop could ticket in either situation, and if he does, we should man-up and keep our mouth shut. But neither action is "horrendous" in my book. YMMV. Skilled, aware, focused drivers in well-maintained competent cars can safely choose to violate rules that were meant for the 99th percentile of drivers without becoming a menace themselves. Of course, prudence, judgement, caution, situational awareness, visibility, and a host of other skills and attitudes are required for safety, whether the GT3 driver stayed on the right side of the double-yellow or crossed over it briefly. But I saw no indication that he had relaxed any of those qualities. A road marking meant to prevent somebody in a 65 Rambler wagon from trying to pass a 37' RV at that point of the highway isn't always applicable to somebody drifting across for one second in a GT3.
Driving completely on the wrong side of the road like that was pretty bad in my view, it wasn't like he was trying to avoid something. I see this every day and it doesn't make it any less bad. When I have to swerve out of the way because someone errantly crosses into my lane, it is infuriating, especially when I'm on the motorcycle. I am by no means some nanny on the road but I certaintly would not say there is "absolutely zero wrong with what he did." I get what you are trying to say but crossing the yellows is something I prefer to avoid and save finding the optimal lines for the track.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

When I have to swerve out of the way because someone errantly crosses into my lane, it is infuriating, especially when I'm on the motorcycle. .
And I couldn't agree with you more. But that is a straw man argument in this case; the GT3 driver didn't do anything remotely close to what you describe; nobody swerved or braked because nobody was there. You may as well say, "People like that GT3 driver running redlights and discharging semi-automatic weapons out their windows are infuriating to me."

If the GT4 or GT3 driver had caused an oncoming driver to swerve, have to brake, or even just think they might have to do so because he had crossed the double yellow close in front of them, then I'd be totally in agreement and calling for the GT3 asshat driver to be locked up.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

And I couldn't agree with you more. But that is a straw man argument in this case; the GT3 driver didn't do anything remotely close to what you describe; nobody swerved or braked because nobody was there. You may as well say, "People like that GT3 driver running redlights and discharging semi-automatic weapons out their windows are infuriating to me."

If the GT4 or GT3 driver had caused an oncoming driver to swerve, have to brake, or even just think they might have to do so because he had crossed the double yellow close in front of them, then I'd be totally in agreement and calling for the GT3 asshat driver to be locked up.
Both cars crossed over on numerous occasions, many times in tight, nearly blind corners. 4:09 was just one example I pointed out but there were multiple others. Certainly not a straw man argument - if you think that was good, ol' safe driving, then so be it. Getting lucky that nobody was coming in the other direction doesn't make it safe.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

On a more lighthearted note...

Old 02-23-2018, 01:34 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

I found the video amazing yet short
Old 02-23-2018, 05:14 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bicycles, motor bikes, pedestrians, other cars..................
Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

what happened to the video link?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:14 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
what happened to the video link?
I asked the guy who posted the video to take it down from YouTube. It is not listed anymore.

Quick Reply: GT4 vs GT3 on Mulholland's "The Snake"