Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

If you sold your GT4 to buy a competing car, what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

If i were to sell my GT4 i would consider the following:

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Ford Mustang GT350
Chevrolet Corvette GS

991.2 GT3 at $160k+ doesn't interest me.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:18 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not the Z06? Lot more power than GS...
Old 02-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

"Competing car" ....who wants to move laterally?
Did anyone else notice that the reason the OP didn't say "Upgrade" is because that would be a null discussion?

Last edited by Perimeter; 02-05-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by SJJ28
It was pretty great, but did feel big. It was a buddies car and he had just gotten it...
Exactly.

Curious if you drove it on track or on the street? 991.1 RS is flat out amazing on track...and shockingly comfortable on the freeway schlep to a track day. Where it struggles, for me, is in the middle—on sports car roads. It feels big and anything near its limits feel too distant to me. Bizarrely, the 991.2 Turbo (which shares the basic envelope) manages to feel smaller and more wieldy than the 991.1 RS...in exactly the same way an early Panamera GTS felt about six inches narrower than an early P4S.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:25 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
"Competing car" ....who wants to move laterally?
Did anyone else notice that the reason the OP didn't say "Upgrade" is because that would be a null discussion?
Well, yeah. That's a topic that's been discussed to death "which of the zillion cars that cost many times more than the GT4 are better?"

I like the discussion of "what would you have instead of GT4?"

​​​
Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VLJ
Well, yeah. That's a topic that's been discussed to death "which of the zillion cars that cost many times more than the GT4 are better?"

I like the discussion of "what would you have instead of GT4?"

​​​
^ Agree.

Many of the cars that interested me when it came time to replace my GT4 as a daily driver (needed back seats...) were priced over as well as under the GT4.

-Fiat 500 Abarth 5MT (seriously, I missed mine...but not enough crumple zone to put the kiddo in back)
-VW Golf R 6MT (great package, though a bit "vector-y" in the way it goes around corners for me)
-Ford Mustang GT350 6MT (love these, but awfully big)
-991.2 Carrera 7MT (softer than GT4, a bit too big for me as a 911, but fantastic as a dad mobile)
-991.2 GT3 Touring 6MT (still big, but my perfect modern 911...except no back seats)

To be honest, little else on the new car market interested me as a fun daily. Not sure what that says…

If I was looking to replace a GT4 as my fun car, things that would interest me...

-911 GT3 (996.2, 997.2 4.0, 991.2 6MT)
-Next GT4 or Spyder
-987.2 Spyder
-Alfa 4C (too bad about the transmission)
-Lotus Elise
-Lotus Evora
Old 02-05-2018, 09:13 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Exactly.

Curious if you drove it on track or on the street? 991.1 RS is flat out amazing on track...and shockingly comfortable on the freeway schlep to a track day. Where it struggles, for me, is in the middle—on sports car roads. It feels big and anything near its limits feel too distant to me. Bizarrely, the 991.2 Turbo (which shares the basic envelope) manages to feel smaller and more wieldy than the 991.1 RS...in exactly the same way an early Panamera GTS felt about six inches narrower than an early P4S.
I drove it on back roads, hwy, and surface streets. Haven't driven it on track.

I'm not much for street cars on the track myself, but have always said that the Porsche GT cars work that compromise better than most!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:14 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SJJ28
I have driven it, for about :30
It was pretty great, but did feel big. It was a buddies car and he had just gotten it. While he wasn't too concerned with being nice while breaking it in, I felt I couldn't REALLY wail on it..
It is weird how much bigger the 991 feels over the 981 even though the specs show them to be real close. Even getting in and out of the LWBS seems easier in the 991, almost as if the door opening is taller.....
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

^^^ this, regarding how much bigger the 991 feels relative to the 981. Since I got my GT4, people ask me which car I prefer. The simple reply is that they’re not really comparable. But the truth is that my 991 now feels big. I still love it and love driving it, but I never expected this.

To the OPs question, I’d be flummoxed. If I had to sell the GT4 and replace it with something that made me as happy in roughly the same price range, I have no idea what I’d get. The only other new car that interests me right now is the gt3 Touring. And even though It has my imagination, I wouldn’t give up either current Porsche to get it.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:14 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

^ Agree.

Many of the cars that interested me when it came time to replace my GT4 as a daily driver (needed back seats...) were priced over as well as under the GT4.

-Fiat 500 Abarth 5MT (seriously, I missed mine...but not enough crumple zone to put the kiddo in back)
-VW Golf R 6MT (great package, though a bit "vector-y" in the way it goes around corners for me)
-Ford Mustang GT350 6MT (love these, but awfully big)
-991.2 Carrera 7MT (softer than GT4, a bit too big for me as a 911, but fantastic as a dad mobile)
-991.2 GT3 Touring 6MT (still big, but my perfect modern 911...except no back seats)

To be honest, little else on the new car market interested me as a fun daily. Not sure what that says…
Fun daily — I just bought a Ford Focus RS for a dd. Very fun plus modern tech, AWD, aggressive styling, etc. Haven't owned a Ford (the RS is built in Germany) in a long time but very impressed with this car.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:37 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

^ Nice car!

There's something about a fast, German-built Ford. I dig the Focus RS, and might've gone that way a couple of years ago were I not married. My better half wasn't into it, but it brought back fond memories of my old Xerati—a car I really liked. And I am sure the Focus RS is better in every way. Looks GREAT in white, too.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:09 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

^ Nice car!

There's something about a fast, German-built Ford. I dig the Focus RS, and might've gone that way a couple of years ago were I not married. My better half wasn't into it, but it brought back fond memories of my old Xerati—a car I really liked. And I am sure the Focus RS is better in every way. Looks GREAT in white, too.
Better half —

Blue stitching (standard) and accents inside and out provide contrast and look good with the white.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:06 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Used MP4-12C's are getting close to overlapping a well optioned GT4 in price...

I tried the hot Mustang thing. Performance, yes. In fact HUGE performance, both in a straight line and at the track. But for me, something was missing and I couldn't wait to get out of it.... Zero interest in trying that experiment again.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:51 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Used MP4-12C's are getting close to overlapping a well optioned GT4 in price...

I tried the hot Mustang thing. Performance, yes. In fact HUGE performance, both in a straight line and at the track. But for me, something was missing and I couldn't wait to get out of it.... Zero interest in trying that experiment again.
a friend had one of the first US MP4-12c and it was a maintenance nightmare. Spent more time being fixed than in his garage. I instructed in it for about 30 min. Torque felt nice but sound inside cabin was dull and getting in/out over the WIDE door sill is a pain.

Looks are are subjective and I prefer GT4 over MP4...

i think Mclaren has improved on the reliability front but I’d be skeptical.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
a friend had one of the first US MP4-12c and it was a maintenance nightmare. Spent more time being fixed than in his garage. I instructed in it for about 30 min. Torque felt nice but sound inside cabin was dull and getting in/out over the WIDE door sill is a pain.

Looks are are subjective and I prefer GT4 over MP4...

i think Mclaren has improved on the reliability front but I’d be skeptical.

^ Agree. Keep wanting to like McLarens, but somehow can't. Most of them look like their taillights have been stolen, and the nose is kind of a mess. The GT4 and most 991s look better to me than any of them save maybe one dark blue P1, which had better look amazing at its price point. The "regular" McLarens' exterior details—the little things like sidemarkers, minor trim, etc.— look cheap to these eyes, though I will say many of their interior bits feel far more special than anything Porsche is using. Had a drive in the new GT, and while it impressed me in some ways (steering response, the specialness or everything, the carbon tub being so narrow next to you when you open the door, etc), the engine noise wasn't great and the car felt delicate and showy. No doubt they are great, but they are not for me. And an early MP4 over a GT4? No way.

GT4 is very hard, if not impossible, to replace in its space. Hence this thread...

Last edited by stout; 02-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: If you sold your GT4 to buy a competing car, what would it be?