Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

If you sold your GT4 to buy a competing car, what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:04 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

I sold my GT4 to raise some funds, and leased a 2016 Jaguar F-Type R short term.

Being a Cayman guy, the GT4 was special. I was surprised how much I like the Jag. If I made a list of the things the F-Type does better, they would be:
1. I get many many more compliments on the look of the Jag - its just pretty.
2. The sound of the Jag is simply intoxicating. It wins the Oscar for Best Sound hands down.
3. The power is immense with its supercharged low profile V8 engine, and linear.
4. The all-wheel-drive of the Jag makes driving in the rain effortless, even with Cup 2s installed.
5. The computer aided traction controls are really really smart in the Jag.

On the track, the F-Type runs in the pack with the Mustang GT350 / Corvette Grand Sport / and Cayman GT4. But, that really says a lot for the 380hp Cayman GT4!

My advice to those thinking of selling your GT4, DONT! Just because other cars my have more power, more room, more newness - the GT4 as a package is one of kind.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by SJJ28
You'll love the GolfR. I've had 2 of them in the last year and a half. Hope you got the dct, do stage one apr software and trans software....transforms the car and it's legitimately fast!
I have a 2004 VW-R32 and it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face!
One of the best manual transmission and all-wheel drives ever for only $30,000.
Essentially stock, except for some Koni FSD's.
I will never sell it.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I sold my GT4 to raise some funds, and leased a 2016 Jaguar F-Type R short term.

My advice to those thinking of selling your GT4, DONT! Just because other cars my have more power, more room, more newness - the GT4 as a package is one of kind.
Well said.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:11 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

You'll love the GolfR. I've had 2 of them in the last year and a half. Hope you got the dct, do stage one apr software and trans software....transforms the car and it's legitimately fast!

That is the plan - DCT, and stage 1 motor and trans.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:37 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

I traded mine for an F430 and don't regret it one bit. I loved my Gt4 but it was just to good for its own good. Became boring (for me) to drive around town. The Ferrari is an event every time you jump in and you don't have to be going fast to enjoy it. Now I'm sure the Gt4 is an absolute joy on the track but just that's not where I drive my car the majority of the time.

Now for a new car swap I'm really not sure in that price bracket. The GT really stands alone in its segment. I would however get a alpha 4C in lieu of a Gt4 if your looking for a very raw driver involved experience.

Last edited by CarAholic; 02-05-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
I traded mine for an F430 and do regret it one bit. I loved my Gt4 but it was just to good for its own good. Became boring (for me) to drive around town. The Ferrari is an event every time you jump in and you don't have to be going fast to enjoy it. Now I'm sure the Gt4 is an absolute joy on the track but just that's not where I drive my car the majority of the time.

Now for a new car swap I'm really not sure in that price bracket. The GT really stands alone in its segment. I would however get a alpha 4C in lieu of a Gt4 if your looking for a very raw driver involved experience.
I assume you “don’t regret it one bit”. Typo? It’s great that you made the right move for your needs.

As for Alpha - I think they’ve done a brilliant marketing campaign, and maybe the car drives/handles well (haven’t test driven) but for me the looks fall FAR short, and their reliability used to be awful. Not sure if they’ve made strides in the service record. I just can’t get past the styling.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:13 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Yea that was a typo. The alfa is way more of a handful then the GT4 and to be honest I don't really think they compete with each other. The Alfa is a straight toy. While the GT4 is the full package.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

The only two cars that have my attention is the AMG GTR and 991.2 GT3. A Performante would be nice as well however that's out of my tax bracket, and I wish RWD. Not to mention at that 300k point I would rather buy a R8 GT4 or AMG GT4 and a truck/trailer

edit: At 100k the only other car I would maybe consider is a C7 GS. However I think as a sum of it's parts the GT4 is kinda hard to match.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

skip the mustang and camaro.

2019 GT4
Old 02-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I just pre-traded my GT4 on a new GT3 order. I loved the idea of the gt4. I love the Caymans mid engine dynamics. I was the first person EVER to take the green flag in a professional motor race in a Cayman. I ran the shop that built the Cayman Interseries Cars, and raced in that series very successfully, and had a ton of fun in them.

My GT4 street car was just underwhelming. Whether the gearing, the lack of the high compression gt motor, the weight and size of the 981 chassis, or a combination of all of those, it just didn't do it for me.

I AM nervous that the 991.2 Gt3 will also feel large, heavy and disconnected, however my hope is the engine and gearing will make it a better car over all for me.

I'll never get rid of my 987 Spyder or 997 GT3RS
The .2 will feel large but it does not feel heavy nor disconnected if you got the Manual. It even looks large, in comparison to the GT4, but funny because the GT3 is actually not that larger than the GT4 if you look at all the measurements on paper
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I just pre-traded my GT4 on a new GT3 order. I loved the idea of the gt4. I love the Caymans mid engine dynamics. I was the first person EVER to take the green flag in a professional motor race in a Cayman. I ran the shop that built the Cayman Interseries Cars, and raced in that series very successfully, and had a ton of fun in them.

My GT4 street car was just underwhelming. Whether the gearing, the lack of the high compression gt motor, the weight and size of the 981 chassis, or a combination of all of those, it just didn't do it for me.

I AM nervous that the 991.2 Gt3 will also feel large, heavy and disconnected, however my hope is the engine and gearing will make it a better car over all for me.

I remember when Ernie Jakubowski (Mantis Sport) raced a 2006 Cayman S in Feb 2006 and had a win in May 2006. (PCA club race however, not pro).

The GT4 was slightly underwhelming out of the box. The smaller throttle body clipped its *****. But compared to a 997 GT3, it was respectable on track in terms of lap times.
If it had the X51 power kit like the 997 GTS, it would have been proper. (great mod to wake these cars up FWIW).

I drove the 997.2 GT3 manual last week. Fantastic road car that you can take to the track on occassion. (I rather PDK on the track) Yes, the first thing you feel when seated in the car is that it is much larger then 997. But you quickly forget and enjoy the refinement. Back up camera. Excellent steering. Buttery soft clutch pedal and super smooth shifter. The ride is also very compliant. High rev is great but speeding ticket bait.
In all, it is a fun stick shift 911 with warranty. (Much more fun then a Carrera S stick shift...)
I think i would take it in a "touring" model if in the market.

The 987 Spyder is a classic and the 997RS is the last factory "hotrod feel" 911 IMO. Both are keepers.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:09 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Those were the days! SJJ28 is a trusted source as he has owned all sorts of GT style Porsches AND was there at the beginning of the Cayman race car revolution! He's also pretty good behind the wheel too and one hell of a nice guy!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Those were the days! SJJ28 is a trusted source as he has owned all sorts of GT style Porsches AND was there at the beginning of the Cayman race car revolution! He's also pretty good behind the wheel too and one hell of a nice guy!
Awww shucks Tesh....
Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you driven/tracked the 991.1 RS too?
Whats your opinion about it?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:21 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
Do you driven/tracked the 991.1 RS too?
Whats your opinion about it?
I have driven it, for about :30
It was pretty great, but did feel big. It was a buddies car and he had just gotten it. While he wasn't too concerned with being nice while breaking it in, I felt I couldn't REALLY wail on it..

Quick Reply: If you sold your GT4 to buy a competing car, what would it be?