Sponsored by: APR

PSDS - 2-Day Course (Feb 15-16)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking PSDS - 2-Day Course (Feb 15-16)

I am headed to the 2-Day Porsche Performance Driving Course at the Birmingham Alabama facility in February (15-16). Any other GT4 people going?

Has anyone else ever gone and can share with me any pointers or suggestions? I'm very excited.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Roadster08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the course back in July, it is an absolute blast. I didn't want to leave. The instructors were great, you spend majority of the time in a car, and the instructors really know how to push you. By the end of the 2nd day you will be amazed at how quick and comfortable you feel at the track! Have fun and don't forget to take pictures!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

Search is your friend
Old 01-27-2018, 08:29 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Been there twice in the last year:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9702...torsports.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...torsports.html

well worth it to do the Masters and RS courses....Barber MP is a beautiful track and top notch facility...having instruction by and lunch and dinner with Hurley Haywood is icing on the cake!

Last edited by kfmcmahon; 01-27-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Originally Posted by ExMB
Thanks, but I did search. I did not find anything about the upcoming event on February 15-16 and who was going.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roadster08
I went to the course back in July, it is an absolute blast. I didn't want to leave. The instructors were great, you spend majority of the time in a car, and the instructors really know how to push you. By the end of the 2nd day you will be amazed at how quick and comfortable you feel at the track! Have fun and don't forget to take pictures!
That's what I need; to be pushed. All HPDE events I seem to be pushing it hard for me, but apparently never nearly hard enough.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:28 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

You won't be disappointed. It's a first class event. And it will improve your track driving.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Went last year and just missed GT4s being there. Drove the 718 for a bit and it was nice on the track. Agree with prior posts - a first-class event.

One of the attendees was a 918 owner - there with his two young(er) female traveling companions from Miami. Very interesting to say the least.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Cool video! I'm even more excited after watching it.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Corrado79
Cool video! I'm even more excited after watching it.
As I recall I do not believe they allow you to do your own video from the car (they have a pretty slick system where they give you a thumb drive and you take it from car to car to capture your own video using their system), but I brought up Harry's LapTimer, threw the phone in the glove box, and it recorded lap times. I should have taken my precision GPS...
Old 01-28-2018, 12:49 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I think that course is just lead / follow on track. Its good if you have little or no track experience. If that is your level, have fun!

I skipped that one and jumped to the Masters 2 Day and Masters R 1 Day back to back. I had done Bondurant 4 Day GP, BMW, and had a few years of tracking under my belt so was able to talk my way into the higher program. I was surprised even at that level there were some guys with basically no track experience and had just done the 2 day course (one guy did it like 5 years previous.)

Thus there was a wide gap in skills on track and that created a good deal of traffic for the faster drivers.

About half of the day was spent on track, the other half exercises. The exercises are frustrating since you barely get enough time. I don't agree that you spend "most of the time in the car" ... there is not enough cars for everyone to have their own like Bondurant, so you wait while other students complete exercise and then you get 5 minutes or less to try it yourself.

You cycle between different cars, so you get 1 session per day in one of the hotter cars like Turbo or GT3RS. Then you will be in Boxter, Cayman, 911 GTS on the other sessions. I was a bit annoyed that they did not pay attention to things like tire pressure. Its great jumping in a GT3RS but then you realize by the afternoon the tires have 55+ PSI and you aren't getting the full experience of what the car can do performance wise.

The facilities are amazing especially the museum. The impression walking around that place leaves on you cannot be overstated. The track is very challenging and beautiful, it will keep you on your toes and gives you a lot of chances to build skills like trail braking which the instructors will push you to do nearly all the time.

If you ever consider another school check out Bondurant. The main advantage is you get assigned a car for the entire course and you spend all non classroom time in the car. When you do an exercise like heel/toe you spend 20-30 minutes doing the same thing again and again in the car until it becomes second nature. Thus its much easier to actually build skills.

PDS has superior cars and facilities, and has a nice social setup with lunch / dinner provided and you eat with instructors. Besides that I like Bondurant, just too bad they don't use the Viper anymore.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:25 AM
Corrado79
Advanced

Thanks for the excellent and candid review. Sounds like I should give Bondurant a shot next time. It's much closer to me anyway.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Just arrived in Birmingham. Can't wait for tomorrow morning!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going in April so would love to hear how it goes.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Barber Motorsports Pictures

Barbers is a cool place. Love that place. Also the hotel Porsche uses is called the Grand Bohemian, very nice. Here are some pics of this super interesting place.

Monkey climbing up the scoreboard.

Panthers strolling the infield.

Giant spiders looking to eat drivers.

A guy holding the bridge up.

A little more green in this paddock.

Quick Reply: PSDS - 2-Day Course (Feb 15-16)