Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Why hasn't my GT4 sold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:35 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok full disclosure my GT4 is RH45 (Rhodium) and I love it over GT silver, funny the color is/was partially blamed on sale. In 10-15 years ppl will be praising the Rhodium because its the 3rd most rare color behind only PTS and Blue metallic, only 3.75% were Rhodium. I think its more than that, very low option over MSRP etc. Plus the time of year, even the all mighty spyder that everybody raves about is sitting when priced at or above MSRP just look at the classifieds here.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:44 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Color certainly does impact (as well as spec and asking price) the car in the original post.

Its silly to say RS is rare. The take rate for RS was low because it was an unpopular color. Color is very subjective but don’t confuse unpopular with unavailable (PTS and DBM).
Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Color is very subjective but don’t confuse unpopular with unavailable (PTS and DBM).
Exactly. At least for 25 years or so.... But some of the pre 1980 really funky, highly unpopular (then) 911 colors now pull the biggest bucks!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So why all the SBM, SY and even a couple GR sitting for several months? its PRICE #1 the VAST majority of buyers (not on RL) would not be able to name which was which between RH and GT silver in person. I do not believe the extended time frame was color, and even if it was mine is still "rare" lol
Old 01-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 06C2s
So why all the SBM, SY and even a couple GR sitting for several months? its PRICE #1 the VAST majority of buyers (not on RL) would not be able to name which was which between RH and GT silver in person. I do not believe the extended time frame was color, and even if it was mine is still "rare" lol
I disagree. There are many sub-MSRP GT4s on the market. There is a white one that has two range 4 over revs, a GR that was a Porsche factory demo, a SBM that was also a factory demo, a SMB with a drilled front plate mount.... those are four cars that immediately were out for me. They are still on the market even though priced 5-10k under MSRP. However, there were several GT silver, multiple white, and tons of RY under MSRP as well. Most of those are still for sale too. RY cars seem to not sell much, most of the cars I’ve seen for sale are still for sale even with aggressive pricing. I can tell you I saw OP’s car for sale on cars.com and didn’t once click on the ad cause RS was my last choice.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

edit: already said 100x times. I think the dealer likely knows we won't see a ton of depreciation more than what has hit until the 718 is decided on... many flooded market at same time to get into GT3s. Probably not in a huge rush to sell, and people are not in a huge rush to buy.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
As a 981 Spyder owner, I'll throw out another possible ingredient to mix into the GT4 resale stew:

When released, the Spyder got very little buzz and recognition due, in large part, to all the attention and overwhelming acclaim the GT4 (rightfully) garnered in the automotive press. To say the Spyder's introduction was dwarfed by the tsunami of positive GT4 publicity would not be an understatement and despite the many similarities the two cars share, the Spyder never rode on the wildly successful coattails of the GT4 for whatever reason. IMO, the Spyder has languished in relative obscurity until most recently. It's only just now starting to get its due and reputation as a canyon carver extraordinaire, perhaps one of the best road-going Porsches -- a real driver's car -- in years, or at least since its wonderful 987 predecessor.

Historically, I don't know how much cross-shopping there has been between the GT4 and the Spyder (certainly little for those who track), but I'm wondering if the Spyder might now be cutting into GT4 resales due to its newfound acclaim. Might it now be an alternative for someone in the market for a GT4 for whom the Spyder wasn't previously on their radar? Might the Spyder's recent emergence from "second-class citizen" status, as compared to the GT4, be giving the GT4 more competition than it once had in the resale market?

Just a possible theory!
Eh, Spyders are sitting on the market for months right now too. I really just think most people are either in "I'm buying a GT3 and dumping my other car" mode or "I'm waiting until the next 718 is revealed to decide what to do." Also, winter.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

Funny the comments about the color. I got more complements on the RS GT4 than I have the GT Silver Carrera GTS
Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Funny the comments about the color. I got more complements on the RS GT4 than I have the GT Silver Carrera GTS
LOL, as the former owner of a GT SIlver Carrera GTS let me just tell you -- it's the "GT4" part, not the "Rhodium Silver" part that's causing that.

Cheers!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

we flip flopped ownership
Old 01-24-2018, 09:44 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Not an expert only owned a dozen or so P cars over my adult life. My guess is like the stock market and housing we are close to a top in P car values. Too many cars too many flippers and not enough enthusist to keep it flying high. Combined this with continuing new car entries from Porsche and the rediculess cost of parts for these cars a great rotation is occuring and prices for all but truly collectible P cars have topped.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:15 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Full disclosure: I own a Rhodium GT4 and GT Silver 991.1 C4S. Color wise, I'd take R-S over GT-S all day long, no questions asked. I recognize I may be in the minority here but to me R-S has so much more to it than GT-S.

I spec'd/built the GT4 and one key reason I selected R-S was its rarity. I wasn't looking for another "silver" car, as I'd had many, but I also wasn't interested in what everyone else had. (I bought the C4S and knew the color was desirable for many.)

Bottom line on GT4 colors: I've (almost) never seen a GT4 in a color that didn't make the car look great. (The exception was a PTS in olive/army green--puke.)

Originally Posted by 06C2s
Ok full disclosure my GT4 is RH45 (Rhodium) and I love it over GT silver, funny the color is/was partially blamed on sale. In 10-15 years ppl will be praising the Rhodium because its the 3rd most rare color behind only PTS and Blue metallic, only 3.75% were Rhodium. I think its more than that, very low option over MSRP etc. Plus the time of year, even the all mighty spyder that everybody raves about is sitting when priced at or above MSRP just look at the classifieds here.
Originally Posted by BryanCO
Color certainly does impact (as well as spec and asking price) the car in the original post.

Its silly to say RS is rare. The take rate for RS was low because it was an unpopular color. Color is very subjective but don’t confuse unpopular with unavailable (PTS and DBM).
Not silly but correct. Rare doesn't necessarily make it desirable...but it might. (One's wife is rare--one of a kind--but doesn't necessarily make her desirable...but it might.)

Originally Posted by dmk2
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, as the former owner of a GT SIlver Carrera GTS let me just tell you -- it's the "GT4" part, not the "Rhodium Silver" part that's causing that.

Cheers!
Not when it's sitting next to a half dozen other GT4s of various colors, as mine has at the track or C&C events.

BTW, my GT Silver 991 C4S is available for sale. My GT4 will never be for sale.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

I too prefer to RS to GT Silver. It is a much brighter color that catches the eye
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

At the end of the day, it's just a Cayman. That's why. Right or wrong, it is what it is.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:58 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Ouch.

Quick Reply: Why hasn't my GT4 sold?