Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Why hasn't my GT4 sold?

Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
GT4s are selling pretty quickly from what I witnessed with a few key caveats. I started my search six months ago and bought mine last month. From my experience, any car that was CPO, were popular colors (SBM, CR, White) and outfitted with these options: LWBs, Chrono, full leather, and PCCBs, sold fast if priced at, near or slightly under MSRP. No car with those specs stayed on the market for more then a month during my search. I was checking cars.com, autotrader and the Porsche car locator daily. A lot of higher optioned cars went over MSRP often. I know everyone says don’t buy for the next owner, but the right specs definitely moves faster.

anything outside of those specs has been on the market for months. Including OP’S car
Maybe it was good that I sold my car on BaT, then? Auction ran six days and the car met reserve on day 2. Was definitely outside the specs above, being Guards Red with 4WSS and just four extra-cost options: dynamic lights, heated seats, gray dash trim, and fire extinguisher. No full leather, no PCCB, no Sport Chrono, and no LWB.

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Price. It's always the price.
Yep. If the price is right—and the exposure reaches the right buyer—a good car will always sell.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:34 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

As a 981 Spyder owner, I'll throw out another possible ingredient to mix into the GT4 resale stew:

When released, the Spyder got very little buzz and recognition due, in large part, to all the attention and overwhelming acclaim the GT4 (rightfully) garnered in the automotive press. To say the Spyder's introduction was dwarfed by the tsunami of positive GT4 publicity would not be an understatement and despite the many similarities the two cars share, the Spyder never rode on the wildly successful coattails of the GT4 for whatever reason. IMO, the Spyder has languished in relative obscurity until most recently. It's only just now starting to get its due and reputation as a canyon carver extraordinaire, perhaps one of the best road-going Porsches -- a real driver's car -- in years, or at least since its wonderful 987 predecessor.

Historically, I don't know how much cross-shopping there has been between the GT4 and the Spyder (certainly little for those who track), but I'm wondering if the Spyder might now be cutting into GT4 resales due to its newfound acclaim. Might it now be an alternative for someone in the market for a GT4 for whom the Spyder wasn't previously on their radar? Might the Spyder's recent emergence from "second-class citizen" status, as compared to the GT4, be giving the GT4 more competition than it once had in the resale market?

Just a possible theory!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

^ A very interesting theory, and could be.

I can't speak to today's 981 Spyder/GT4 market, but I cross-shopped the two when they were new. I was, and am, an ardent fan of the 987.2 Spyder—so I was very interested in the 981 Spyder. Though I had an allocation for a GT4, I thought hard about dumping it for a PTS Brewster Green 981 Spyder after reading PeteVB's review for Panorama. And then...I drove the 981 Spyder at the North American launch. It was great in many ways—and all the ways Pete said it was—but the things that moved my needle in the 987 were gone. It was improved in every way, but, for me, no longer inspired. The top was function following form, and the 3.8 wasn't enough to blow me away (it wasn't in the GT4, either). In the 987 era, I preferred the Spyder to the Cayman R. In the 981 era, I preferred the GT4 to the Spyder. But I am just one guy, and there are some here for whom I have huge respect who LOVE their 981 Spyders. To your point above, I'm not sure how many people are open to coupes AND convertibles…my sense is a lot of car enthusiasts are resolutely one or the other.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:21 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

My theory is, if there is a naturally aspirated 718 GT4, with a 3.8 coming, the bottom will drop out of the used GT4 market. Anything near MSRP won't sell if you can buy a new one. The old GT4s will depreciate like any old model.
Maybe people are waiting for the news to play out?
​​​​​​
Just my theory.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Lightly optioned GT4 without any of the 'hot' options (lwb, pts, pccb, etc)
+ Asking price above original sticker
+ New GT3's are now available with manual transmission
= Your GT4 not selling quickly.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I traded my white GT4 lightly optioned at MSRP for my incoming GT3 eta March. Light option usually = quick sell. I think most people are looking for white and with your silver it has to be a "good" deal for people to take. I'm guessing 90K?

If no more gt4 the value will go up. If next gen have a price adjustment probably still at or slightly above MSRP. If GT3 motor on the 718 for a little more $$ the current GT4 prices will go down. I went GT silver on the touring but if I wasn't getting touring I would go for white again. It's safe to stick with popular colors for the model trim.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

My buddy sold his Sapphire blue over the weekend with low options and LWBS. He received a GT3 allocation and opted to sell his GT4.

He got $95k which was MSRP. On the market for 48 hours.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Lightly optioned GT4 without any of the 'hot' options (lwb, pts, pccb, etc)
+ Asking price above original sticker
+ New GT3's are now available with manual transmission
= Your GT4 not selling quickly.
It does have LWB.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:27 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

It's definitely due to speculation on the new model. If you sell cheap now and the next one's a 4 turbo well.....that sucks.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
It's definitely due to speculation on the new model. If you sell cheap now and the next one's a 4 turbo well.....that sucks.
It won't be a B4T
Old 01-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

I can chime in too. I've been looking for one for more than 3 months and reason for most of the low optioned cars not selling is the high price. There is at least 20 GT4's with low options seating there for more than two months.
A**hole dealers like ones here is So Cal are asking 10k over the MSRP of the low optioned car. Nobody will pay that. Last week I bid on GT4 with MSRP slightly less than 109K. My offer was 106K and they said no way
we'll go lower than 108,500. To make long story short they sold the car on Saturday for 105,800 even I offered 106. Color and interior choice is the important factor too. Also 2014/2015 GT3 prices are down from last year by 10-15k.
If you have low millage clean car you should be able to sell at MSRP or in the worst case scenario few grand under. My Grand Father always said there is a chair for every A** you just have to wait.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Also they are asking 3k over
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Christmas50
To make long story short they sold the car on Saturday for 105,800 even I offered 106.
Huh???
Old 01-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Christmas50
Racer

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Huh???
Yes is true
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
GT4s are selling pretty quickly from what I witnessed with a few key caveats. I started my search six months ago and bought mine last month. From my experience, any car that was CPO, were popular colors (SBM, CR, White) and outfitted with these options: LWBs, Chrono, full leather, and PCCBs, sold fast if priced at, near or slightly under MSRP. No car with those specs stayed on the market for more then a month during my search. I was checking cars.com, autotrader and the Porsche car locator daily. A lot of higher optioned cars went over MSRP often. I know everyone says don’t buy for the next owner, but the right specs definitely moves faster.

anything outside of those specs has been on the market for months. Including OP’S car
^Agree

This is what the ?expert panel said on

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...iscussion.html

Jan - Feb is always the best time to get a great deal on a car. It's mid winter, sales are typically slow, & dealers are hungry to sell, although even very sought after cars are slow to exit the sales lot.
A Porsche sales manager told me a lot of sales fall through b/c customer can't secure financing, or whatever, the deal goes south!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why hasn't my GT4 sold?