Sponsored by: APR

Black fluid from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Dpm7471
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black fluid from exhaust

Hey folks, today I backed my GT4 out of the garage for the first time in about a week. I never noticed this, but there was some moisture dripping from the exhaust that was black in color. After touching it, I found it was very thin and had no oil odor or any other odor.

Can anyone give my some input on what this might be from? From sitting a bit? The last time I drove it, it was a “spirited drive” at higher RPM’s (not redline). Could this be the reason?

Any info appreciated.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:18 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

DFI engines have carbon build up on the exhausts. It's probably just the normal accumulation of expelled water vapor mixing with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by CardiffDweller:
Fullyield (12-12-2020), Pmorritt (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 02:52 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Same experience with me. I am amazed by the amount of soot and, as water always builds up in your exhaust it can cone out as black sooty water. Even worse on my old classic Triumph TR5.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowy999
Same experience with me. I am amazed by the amount of soot and, as water always builds up in your exhaust it can cone out as black sooty water. Even worse on my old classic Triumph TR5.
+1

It is amazing how some things remain unchanged even with the advances in technology. I have the same thing happen with my 63-year-old Mercedes with direct FI - it's just not as bad as on the GT4.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:45 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpm7471
Hey folks, today I backed my GT4 out of the garage for the first time in about a week. I never noticed this, but there was some moisture dripping from the exhaust that was black in color. After touching it, I found it was very thin and had no oil odor or any other odor.

Can anyone give my some input on what this might be from? From sitting a bit? The last time I drove it, it was a “spirited drive” at higher RPM’s (not redline). Could this be the reason?

Any info appreciated.
Normal as others have stated. Just a mix of exhaust byproduct and moisture build up in the exhaust that blows out on startup. I had to stop backing my car into the garage as it was spitting all over the wall on start up. I also keep a small rug under the back to capture the droplets that go on the floor
Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 AM
chaos2984
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

As being a previous dealer auto tech, I can confirm that this is normal. As water is a by product of combustion, sometimes if you have a little excess carbon (soot) in the exhaust it will mix it with and come out as a black watery liquid. If you get under your car or any car and look at the mufflers, they all have small pin holes in the bottom of them to let water drip out. Almost always you will see black stains around that hole where soot is coming out with the water.

The only time you need to worry about a black liquid coming out is if your getting an oily black build up on the rear bumper of your car while driving and it happens after a highway run.

Quick Reply: Black fluid from exhaust