Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Steering Wheel top spokes, reflection off brushed AL bother anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by greggmorton
Have you or anyone else installed this part DIY? I'm curious on the level of difficulty.
No I haven't.
But the Suncoast Parts website says that you should have a professional do the install.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i've done the switch and it was pretty straightforward. Basically disconnect the battery, remove the airbag, remove the steering wheel, replace the frame, then put everything back together. I did a quick search and these closely match the steps i took:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...val-991-a.html
Old 09-18-2018, 03:18 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

The most critical part on the installation is taking out the air bag so you can then take out the steering wheel, not impossible to do but needs a bit of patience.
Also, you may wind up with an air bag light after you put everything back together so you will need a Durametric or similar OBDII tool.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:14 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Thank you for this guys!
Very cool.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:06 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

i'm more irritated by the reflection of the aluminum surrounds around the a/c vents on the windshield. that stuff looks totally out of place in the GT4 cabin anyway!

nice steering wheels btw. love the level of overkill applied to the problem
Old 09-19-2018, 03:09 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil panda
i'm more irritated by the reflection of the aluminum surrounds around the a/c vents on the windshield. that stuff looks totally out of place in the GT4 cabin anyway!

nice steering wheels btw. love the level of overkill applied to the problem
This is one of the reasons I haven't done the black trim of the steering wheel...I still have some silver left (like the mentioned A/C vent surrounds) that I would prefer to also eliminate. Too bad we can't order some custom surrounds (painted or leather) like on the GT3......
Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 PM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leather AC Vents and slats 981

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This is one of the reasons I haven't done the black trim of the steering wheel...I still have some silver left (like the mentioned A/C vent surrounds) that I would prefer to also eliminate. Too bad we can't order some custom surrounds (painted or leather) like on the GT3......
Many have had issue with sun glare regarding the trim on the AC vents and center console and have chosen to have us, Exclusive Option, provide a Leather option for them. While it is customary to have an option for 991 AC Vents and slats, we have chosen to be creative with our own version and have made many on the request of customers.

Below is an example of AC vents featuring black matte leather with deviated stitching around the perimeter and Acid Green leather slats:

In addition to our Leather AC Vents, we pride ourselves on the quality and attention to detail for every part we make. If you have any questions, feel free to PM us or email us directly.

If you plan on attending Rennsport Reunion, come visit our booth for many product offerings.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Hi Frank...those look beautiful!!!! I can imagine those in Racing Yellow on my car...we need to talk when I get the new GT4 next year.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Great timing.....I just logged in to see if anyone has done this yet. Waiting on my service guru to let me know how much coin to do the swap for me....will order from Suncoast if the labor isn't astronomical.......Phil
Old 09-19-2018, 06:43 PM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 981 AC Vents

Originally Posted by Phil T
Great timing.....I just logged in to see if anyone has done this yet. Waiting on my service guru to let me know how much coin to do the swap for me....will order from Suncoast if the labor isn't astronomical.......Phil
Hi Phil,
You may try to do the removal of the 981 AC Vents on your own as there are a few YouTube tutorials demonstrations, we highly recommend placing tape around the perimeter during removal to avoid any accidental contact. A plastic trim tool will be required.

Our Exclusive Option 981 AC Vents and slats are currently not available from our partner Suncoast Parts' catalog however, they can be ordered directly from us (via email). For further information, please contact us directly via PM or email at info@exclusiveoption.com to request more information.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Hi Phil,
You may try to do the removal of the 981 AC Vents on your own as there are a few YouTube tutorials demonstrations, we highly recommend placing tape around the perimeter during removal to avoid any accidental contact. A plastic trim tool will be required.

Our Exclusive Option 981 AC Vents and slats are currently not available from our partner Suncoast Parts' catalog however, they can be ordered directly from us (via email). For further information, please contact us directly via PM or email at info@exclusiveoption.com to request more information.
I'm talking about the steering wheel trim......but I am considering the vents as well. Got a $150 quote to swap the steering wheel trim so I just need to decide if it's worth the coin......Phil
Old 09-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by hdavidson
i've done the switch and it was pretty straightforward. Basically disconnect the battery, remove the airbag, remove the steering wheel, replace the frame, then put everything back together. I did a quick search and these closely match the steps i took:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...val-991-a.html
Do you need a special Ring Nut socket, tool or wrench to remove the steering wheel?
I can just imagine this task requiring that I buy a tool which I will use once. That goes with my luck

Old 09-20-2018, 05:49 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Do you need a special Ring Nut socket, tool or wrench to remove the steering wheel?
I can just imagine this task requiring that I buy a tool which I will use once. That goes with my luck

The closest thing you need to a special tool is a T55 wrench or socket. That's the size of the bolt that holds the steering wheel to the column.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel top spokes, reflection off brushed AL bother anyone else?