Sponsored by: APR

Questions on two GT4s I'm looking at - AC & Radio Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 01:21 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions on two GT4s I'm looking at - AC & Radio Delete

Hello Everyone - recently sold my 993 track and starting to look at GT4s. Found two cars that I'm considering and had a few questions:

1. Yellow GT4 with 3K miles at Porsche of Austin. MSRP of $90K asking $99K with CPO warranty
* What is the average cost to CPO a car at dealership? $3-$4K? Trying to understand value of the CPO in price?
* The car has the radio delete, but it doesn't show up on the build sheet. Does this mean the previous owner removed it on their own?
* Car has tow hooks, harness bar and belts on it. I'm assuming this means it was tracked. Any specific items I should ask dealer for, aside from a over rev report?
** Any thoughts on price for this car? At first glance seems high. Their selling point is that its the "cheapest" CPO GT4 on the market.

2. Blue GT4 with 1,165 miles. MSRP was 100K asking $89K no CPO
* Has PCCBs, with are nice but not needed for track use - too expensive
* Radio delete, which is something I want
* AC delete
* No buckets

The question I have is on the AC delete. The car still has some ventilation controls. Does this mean it will blow out some sort of cold and hot air? Any insight from someone who ordered a car with AC delete? Lastly, how much of a discount would apply to a car with no AC? At $89K, its about 11K below MSRP, which is hard to find in today's GT4 market.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

On car 2 it will only blow as cool as outside at best. It will heat.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SINY993er
Hello Everyone - recently sold my 993 track and starting to look at GT4s. Found two cars that I'm considering and had a few questions:

1. Yellow GT4 with 3K miles at Porsche of Austin. MSRP of $90K asking $99K with CPO warranty
* What is the average cost to CPO a car at dealership? $3-$4K? Trying to understand value of the CPO in price?
* The car has the radio delete, but it doesn't show up on the build sheet. Does this mean the previous owner removed it on their own?
* Car has tow hooks, harness bar and belts on it. I'm assuming this means it was tracked. Any specific items I should ask dealer for, aside from a over rev report?
** Any thoughts on price for this car? At first glance seems high. Their selling point is that its the "cheapest" CPO GT4 on the market.
$90k car is a pretty low spec car. if it has lwbs, then that really was the only cost option that was 'checked', as it's was a 5k option. and the GT4 base price was around $85k. the radio delete should just look like cubbies where PCM would normally be. it was a zero cost option, so I can't imagine that the owner would have done it after the fact. and it seems like the point of the car was to be a track stripper, so the radio delete makes sense.

I would not pay much more than a grand over MSRP for this CPO car. Yellow, although the launch color, isn't that popular. And the radio delete will be a negative to the majority of buyers. I think if you pay your cards right, you should be able to get under MSRP, even CPO, AND, it's winter.

Yes, I would ask for the DME report. I would test drive and assess clutch functionality. Also during the drive, listen carefully for squeaking coming from the rear. Rear struts have been know to go bad and manifest themselves as squeaking when driving over small to medium size bumps.

* AC delete
* No buckets

The question I have is on the AC delete. The car still has some ventilation controls. Does this mean it will blow out some sort of cold and hot air? Any insight from someone who ordered a car with AC delete? Lastly, how much of a discount would apply to a car with no AC? At $89K, its about 11K below MSRP, which is hard to find in today's GT4 market.

The reason why it's that much below MSRP is expressly partly due to the ac and radio delete. I would ask about why it's not CPO'able, or if it can be added.

Again, a DME report and rotor life reading/inspection would be needed. I know it's ceramic, and it has only 1100miles, but the no CPO status does raise some flags. Do your due diligence, check carfax, check the database here, and see if you can get some sort of user history about the car.

Best of luck.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:07 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Right - car #1 seems ambitiously priced

Car #2 - I'd ask about the DME report (and I bet there are over revs)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Buy one with ac delete and be prepared to keep it a long time
Old 12-09-2017, 01:25 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. Did a little more research on AC Delete...Craig was right. Only blows outside air and heat. So definitely not an option. The car is listed at an MB dealer, so no CPO certification yet. Customer traded in a GT4, GT3 RS and Mclaren 570S all at once. They have all three cars for sale at the moment.

Decided I'm going to wait a bit for the asking prices to adjust to where I think the true market is on these cars, which should be below MSRP. Or low bid a few dealers over the next few months. Don't want to turn this into a GT4 prices thread, but seems like all dealers still listing GT4s at over MSRP. Doesn't seem to make sense given the amount of GT4s on the market (at least 90 for sale on Autotrader), potential announcement of new GT4 and general depreciation.

Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

I would never consider a car with ac/radio delete.

Unless you plan on stripping it out to a complete track car.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:14 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the info. Did a little more research on AC Delete...Craig was right. Only blows outside air and heat. So definitely not an option. The car is listed at an MB dealer, so no CPO certification yet. Customer traded in a GT4, GT3 RS and Mclaren 570S all at once. They have all three cars for sale at the moment.

Decided I'm going to wait a bit for the asking prices to adjust to where I think the true market is on these cars, which should be below MSRP. Or low bid a few dealers over the next few months. Don't want to turn this into a GT4 prices thread, but seems like all dealers still listing GT4s at over MSRP. Doesn't seem to make sense given the amount of GT4s on the market (at least 90 for sale on Autotrader), potential announcement of new GT4 and general depreciation.

Thanks again!
if you are ready to pull the trigger, i will bet those dealers will be willing to deal.

regardless of what ever the 718 GT4 will be, if you wanna buy, I'd do it before the winter is over. Just the nature of seasonal fluctuations due to weather.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

* AC delete
* No buckets

Regarding a car with A/C delete. A year or so back a special car came up for sale at a Porsche dealer I visit once in a while. I can't recall the exact model now but I think it was a Cayman. It had been ordered with track duty foremost in mind and the buyer opted for A/C delete. The car came in and in practically no time the owner decided he didn't like the car and traded it in. The car had very low miles and was in great condition. I don't think it ever saw any track time.

But the no A/C just put me off and I said no thanks, not interested.

More recently got exposed to a GT4. A pretty tricked out car with the big fixed wing, roll bars, heavily bolstered seats with little adjustment, a 6-speed, a fire extinguisher just ahead of the passenger seat, and I hate to admit it but I didn't even notice if it had iron or PCCB brakes. But I noticed right away the car had A/C.

Was talking to some dealer people about this GT4 and that car I looked a year ago came up and I was told the dealer had a tough time moving the car. A/C delete reads good on paper but kills the resell value of the car.

As someone said in this thread if you get the A/C delete car be prepared to own it a long time.

As for what it costs the dealer to CPO a car I don't care. It might cost $4K. It might cost $1K. Generally dealers cherry pick cars so they don't have spend much if any money bringing the car up to some sellable level of condition.

I lump CPO cost in with all the other things and just focus on what I'm going to pay for the car out the door. I note back in 2009 when I went shopping for a used 996 Turbo with a CPO warranty the price was listed at $61.9K. I started out negotiations at something under that price and got the car for $57.7K.

Because I got exposed to a GT4 I did a bit of research. There are a number of these cars available. Surprisingly the prices are high with prices for used ones -- admittedly low miles used ones -- at or above new MSRP. Strange.

I'm not GT4 savvy having never really looked into buying one of these cars but with the large number of cars being offered were I in the market for one I'd certainly be very agressive in my negotiation. I mean one would use the fact there are a number available and if one was not able to make a suitable deal for the one he was currently considering he would just move on to the next car and keep going until he bought a GT4.

This makes it clear to the seller that if he sees one walk away without buying the GT4 he's lost a sale. Going to be a long winter and having to look at that GT4 every day and pay the flooring costs every month until better weather comes back and then have to try to sell an even older GT4 burdened with more flooring costs is not going to be to a pleasant welcome to spring.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:25 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Did a little more research on AC Delete...Craig was right. Only blows outside air and heat. So definitely not an option.
I don't know how to say this without sounding like a smartass, so I apologize in advance.

What other definition of "AC Delete" did you think there could possibly be, such that when you learned the real definition it took that option off the table for you???
Old 12-09-2017, 10:13 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure the blue car in TN at Mercedes dealership was one of the Porsche driving school cars from Alabama. There was about 10 with this spec, who gets a leather dash with no radio?? The one I drove had buckets and silver wheels though. Sure its low miles but i would bet they are about 100% rental track miles.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:47 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

If you fancy yellow, there's one in marketplace that's a heck of a deal.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 AM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a smartass, so I apologize in advance.

What other definition of "AC Delete" did you think there could possibly be, such that when you learned the real definition it took that option off the table for you???
To be honest, I agree its pretty obvious what AC delete means, but when I looked at pictures of the car, it still had all the AC controls for cold/hot. Was hoping it had a some semblance of cold air once I saw that. Unfortunately, as I've learned...it doesnt. =(.

I am pretty sure the blue car in TN at Mercedes dealership was one of the Porsche driving school cars from Alabama. There was about 10 with this spec, who gets a leather dash with no radio?? The one I drove had buckets and silver wheels though. Sure its low miles but i would bet they are about 100% rental track miles.
Thanks for this insight. Makes more sense now.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Sent you an email

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...clear-bra.html
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Nothing to add but just good luck with the hunt. SINY, are you local to Staten Island? It would be nice to see another GT4 here. I'm know to have taken a picture or two of them over the years...

Quick Reply: Questions on two GT4s I'm looking at - AC & Radio Delete