Sponsored by: APR

GT4 warranty questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Default GT4 warranty questions

I recently discovered that two ceramic pucks on my GT4's brake calipers are failing (one front and one rear). I asked my dealer to replace the affected calipers under warranty, but just got an email from the service manager denying warranty coverage because I track the car. This seems like total BS, since the GT4 (and GT3) are designed and marketed to be tracked and I am using the car as intended. I seem to recall that there was an exception for the "tracking voids warranty" issue for GT3s and GT4s, but can't find it in my paperwork. Could someone please point me to the right location(s)? Or, provide me with info I can use to challenge that decision?

Several people have posted here that their dealers replaced their calipers under warranty. How can I convince my dealer to do the same?

P.S. I thought there was a thread or two on RL that covered this, but I couldn't find them (yes, I did search before making this post).

P.P.S. Yes, I know about the AutoQuest titanium pucks. I actually already have a set, sitting on the shelf, waiting for the factory warranty to expire. However, while the car is under warranty, I would like to have the dealer fix the car with factory parts.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

IIRC, the GT4 manuals state that using slicks *may* void the warranty, and the car came with a track use owner's manual supplement, so it seems unreasonable the dealer would take that position. Try warranty at another dealer.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:03 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Open a ticket with Porsche at 1-800-PORSCHE about your dissatisfaction with them not replacing their defective calipers under warranty.

They will typically get back to you within 24 hours.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

So I talked with the sales manager at the dealership, and he did some checking around. He said I could pursue the claim with Porsche, but the local Porsche rep has a habit of red-flagging warranties on track-driven cars. Apparently this rep has done that to a couple of dozen cars in the local area over the last couple of years. Sounds like complete BS, but also sounds like it's not worth pursuing at this point -- I still have nearly 2 years left on the warranty and I already have superior replacement parts in hand.

Just seriously disappointed that Porsche sells cars for the track but won't stand behind them when used as intended.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:42 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I had multiple warranty claims and all were well taken care of with the dealership going out of their way to get Porsche to approve them

( they detailed the track rubber marks of my car after asking my permission as I dropped it of straight from track)
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your dealer sucks, it’s not Porsche’s fault. I had the gearbox replaced under warranty and another warranty claim (engine related, some magnetic valves), both sorted under warranty with no questions asked. And my dealer knows that my car is heavily tracked, his view is that this is most probably the reason I bought a GT car.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:52 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

Almost the same thing just happened to me, today. My claim for warranty repair of my calipers due to cracked ceramic pucks was denied by my local dealer because I used aftermarket AP Racing rotors! I talked to the service manager and he said that Porsche would likely deny the claim because of the presence of aftermarket parts, and then the dealer would be on the hook for the repairs; and he wasn't willing to take that risk. I explained that a) the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act essentially says that the dealer or manufacturer must show that an aftermarket part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage, and b) it would be hard to prove that the superior AP Racing rotor would elevate caliper temperatures leading to ceramic pucks breaking. My persuasive arguments fell on deaf ears. :-)

It should be noted that on pages 8-9 of the Warranty and Customer Information booklet, Porsche states that This Warranty Does Not Cover: Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing, track use, or other events. It goes on to say that: Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) may not be covered by the new car Limited Warranty. Seems like Porsche has an out if they want to use it, which is BS for a GT car.

At this point I'm contemplating whether to try to resolve this via the PCNA Customer Commitment department (1 800 PORSCHE), or just pull the trigger on a more permanent solution - e.g. the RacingBrake stainless steel rebuild kit or the AutoQuest titanium pucks.
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (05-10-2024)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear this the lack of warranty replacement is becoming so prevalent, it all seems to depend on the subjective decision of the individual dealer. Just keep in mind that the calipers you get under warranty are going to end up having the same issue, and at some point they're not going to be too fond of replacing them multiple times. We do have our titanium piston pucks in stock and would be happy to send them out for a conclusive solution while maintaining a similar thermal barrier to the factory ceramic pucks.
Vernin (05-10-2024)
Old 12-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

The more folks warranty their pucks through the dealer, the more likely Porsche will actually fix this design flaw in a future model, hopefully!

Please complain about your cracked pucks at 1-800-PORSCHE
Vernin (05-10-2024)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

^+1
Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
The more folks warranty their pucks through the dealer, the more likely Porsche will actually fix this design flaw in a future model, hopefully!

Please complain about your cracked pucks at 1-800-PORSCHE
+2
Vernin (05-10-2024)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:56 AM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How does one know that the ceramic pucks have failed? What are the signs ?
Vernin (05-10-2024)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
When you change the brake pads inspect the pucks. You'll be able to see if they are cracked or not.
Vernin (05-10-2024)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:06 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
Originally Posted by Yargk
When you change the brake pads inspect the pucks. You'll be able to see if they are cracked or not.
I posted some pictures at the link below of some of the different stages of failure we've seen the pucks go through. Anywhere from cracks to breaking into pieces unfortunately.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1020...-ceramics.html
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

RB has been helping hundreds of Porsche owners rebuilding their calipers to "simplify" the components from original and after rebuilt you can be assured your brake will perform better and last much longer than original calipers.

1. Less component is better, so our one-piece piston can eliminate the "Puck" a term that you don't have to know.
2. RB pistons are machined from solid stainless steel bar, with thin wall cut to reduce the weight. They never corrode, always strong and stiff under any high braking temperature.
3. Piston barrel is precisely ground before receiving chrome plating.
4. Chrome plating provides extreme hard and "mirror" like finish to assure ultra smooth piston movement, provides quick brake release save pad wear and extend the seal life.
5. One-piece piston will not have the issue of cracking, separation or malfunction caused by two-piece construction (OE or Aftermarket) due to different heat expansion ratio.
6. Stainless steel piston transmits much less heat (~10% of aluminum.) which helps to improve your braking efficiency and reduce the frequency of brake fluid replacement.

RB Stainless steel piston

Section view of piston

Piston material comparison

Chrome plating

Blue silicon boots for high temperature application

Replacing to RB rebuilding components is a good alternative to solve the problem once and for all.
http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7501.htm

Quick Reply: GT4 warranty questions