Sponsored by: APR

Daily Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:31 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

It wasn't the movie. It was my daughter's friend's eyes, followed by a memory from long ago of a dad sitting across the intersection at a stoplight in an SC Targa with two little girls in the back—smiling and jabbering away as besties—and he just had this grin.

The GT4 didn't stand a chance.
The riches gained from an experience like this is worth more than any GT car could ever provide you..
You're at superdad status now..
Old 11-16-2017, 03:54 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

It wasn't the movie. It was my daughter's friend's eyes, followed by a memory from long ago of a dad sitting across the intersection at a stoplight in an SC Targa with two little girls in the back—smiling and jabbering away as besties—and he just had this grin.

Just pretend it's 1982 and double-buckle.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Good decision.
Now that my youngest has just hit 50, it's not a decision I have to make.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Alas, yes. 14,500 incredible miles later, the spot it holds in our fleet (my daily) requires back seats.

GT4 outgoing, 991.2 Carrera MT incoming.
Any regrets on it not being a Carrera T?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Any regrets on it not being a Carrera T?
Good question, and haven't answered that one for myself. Mixed feelings.

Heard inklings of "911T" (separate from GT3 Touring) only after my car was in paint, and didn't know the Carrera T would break with 20 years of Carrera model strategy until after I took delivery. The T is an appealing offering, with SPASM, short-shifter and lower gearing, LSD, aero stuff, cloth interior, lightweight glass, etc. Downsides are limited colors, I'd also prefer no PSE, forced gray wheels + mirrors, and then the two options I like most on my Carrera (PTS and PCCB) are either unavailable or push an otherwise lightly optioned T into .2 GTS money.

991.2 Carrera 7MT is great (really underrated, to the point I almost canceled my GT4 order after testing them), but I'd probably choose stripped T in hindsight. I think. I'll know more when I drive a T.

Last edited by stout; 11-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:21 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

What color PTS are you going with Pete?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by switchface
What color PTS are you going with Pete?
He has an Oak Green Metallic Carrera 2.

Pete - I’m about to lock my PTS build, do you mind posting up some pics of your car? Currently going Brewster Green, but Oak still a possibility.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

He has an Oak Green Metallic Carrera 2.

Pete - I’m about to lock my PTS build, do you mind posting up some pics of your car? Currently going Brewster Green, but Oak still a possibility.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9987...-911-a-13.html

Post #187 and #192

Tough call between Brewster and Oak. Those were my two finalists. I probably like Brewster better, but I hear it may as well be black when it comes to upkeep. Oak is lighter than I expected, and roughly analogous to Agate Gray in terms of upkeep.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9987...-911-a-13.html

Post #187 and #192

Tough call between Brewster and Oak. Those were my two finalists. I probably like Brewster better, but I hear it may as well be black when it comes to upkeep. Oak is lighter than I expected, and roughly analogous to Agate Gray in terms of upkeep.
Thanks, and agree on the 911T, don’t know why the added those agate highlights and restricted the colours. Every time porsche get close to making the ‘ideal’ spec they whiff it for one reason or another.

btw - saw you went the pccbs to help keep your wheels clean. Does it really make a difference?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Thanks, and agree on the 911T, don’t know why the added those agate highlights and restricted the colours. Every time porsche get close to making the ‘ideal’ spec they whiff it for one reason or another.

btw - saw you went the pccbs to help keep your wheels clean. Does it really make a difference?
Yeah, a T in GT Silver or White is probably the way I'd go—but bummer no Agate, Night Blue, or Graphite. Maybe PTS will be unlocked at some point, but the T's value goes out the window very quickly with the $6-8k options. A stripped GTS with maybe $3-4k in options starts looking a lot smarter, even though I like the narrow body 991.

PCCB really does make a difference. In 500 miles, the only appreciable dirt on the wheels is the tire gunk the dealer applied to make the sidewalls shiny. I also like the brake pedal better with PCCB, and I like the tech and appearance. Kinda neat to have 918 brakes on a Carrera. I mainly wished I'd gotten PCCB on the GT4 because it was a daily car and I like silver wheels and can't be cleaning them multiple times a week (or daily) like I did back in high school—keeping them clean would've been 40-60 minutes a week, or 45-52 hours a year. And while I like washing cars, I hate cleaning wheels—especially since AP infected me with his (the wheels must be clean...inside and out!" On the Carrera, that's a nice benefit, but I ran into brake smell on one closed-road rally section and felt the twin-turbo 3.0's torque is maybe pushing the base car's braking capability in repeated cornering. They didn't fade, but they smelled a LOT. And that wasn't the longest run by any means.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I'm at about 15,500 miles. Picked it up during the Spring '16' Smokies event. If the weather is decent I drive the GT4. No regrets logging miles on mine
Old 11-25-2017, 09:25 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

I had a nice drive back and forth to my bro’s house in Carmel for Thanksgiving (btw, happy belated Thanksgiving everyone). For those of you who aren’t in the Bay Area and / or don’t know the roads, I had the choice of highways or a route over the mountains. The route over the mountains can either be fantastic or completely tedious, depending on who’s in front of you and what you’re driving. Since I left sort of early on Thanksgiving day and early-ish on Friday morning, I rolled the dice and took the mountain route.

For those of you who either live in the Bay Area, or know the roads, this was 92 to 35 (Skyline) to Highway 9, to Scotts Valley, to 17 to Highway 1.

If I’d still been driving my 435, I probably would have opted for the highway route, as the reward of potentially driving on great mountain roads in that car would have been way less than the risk of getting stuck behind multiple cars going well below the speed limit on fantastic roads. Even with a clear road, the current 3/4 (non-M) BMW’s just aren’t up to the opportunity. Too much weight, understeer and general compliance built in to the driving experience to be any real fun in the twisties...at least in my experience.

BUT, in the GT4, the gamble was well worth it. Without being anti-social, I enjoyed relatively clear, great roads in a very capable car. Although the champagne would have been much less disturbed in the 435, the fact that it was tossed around in the back of the GT4 was a small consequence for the fun I had making the drive down. And the way back was even less impeded by other cars on the fun parts of 9 and 35, and the whole drive turned out to take less time than the highway would have. So, not really a choice, in hindsight.

The point being, I’m continuing to find that the GT4 is a perfectly suitable daily-driver, but also a fantastic tool when the roads get good and traffic thins out. Pretty great combination. Oh, and it’s not hard to look at either.

As to PCCB’s, now that I have them, it’s going to be hard to spec a new Porsche without them. Not only is the pedal feel and stopping performance great, they end up leaving very clean wheels. I’m shocked at how clean they are after over 200 very spirited miles.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:00 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
As to PCCB’s, now that I have them, it’s going to be hard to spec a new Porsche without them. Not only is the pedal feel and stopping performance great, they end up leaving very clean wheels. I’m shocked at how clean they are after over 200 very spirited miles.
Sounds like you had a great drive, John.

I think it's great that you got a GT4 with PCCB—it was my one regret in my GT4 spec, and a source of pleasure every time I apply the brakes in the 911 (which is...every time you drive the car, no matter what you're up to) or look at its continuously clean silver wheels. The 410/390 setup may be the best set of brakes currently available at any price, and are simply stunning on a lightweight car wearing the best tires to date. Might not feel as strongly with gray or black wheels, but the dividends with silver wheels are a very nice bonus.

Originally Posted by RealityGT
The riches gained from an experience like this is worth more than any GT car could ever provide you..
You're at superdad status now..
The first of those riches already seen last Saturday, with a daughter who was clearly thrilled by the 911's rear interior—which must feel to a kid like it was designed for a kid after all of the cavernous couches in SUVs and sedans and wagons. Made a day around San Francisco just really, really special.

btw - saw you went the pccbs to help keep your wheels clean. Doe it really make a difference?
With silver wheels, the difference is night and day. Without PCCB, my wheels needed a light cleaning within a few hours and looked awful within 2-3 days of use. Guess what? They rarely looked silver. With PCCB, the wheels remain silver even after being driven in the rain, and then only a light cleaning is required. I wouldn't say there is zero dust in daily use, but it's pretty darn close. Some say that isn't worth the money, but while I enjoy washing cars, I hate cleaning wheels—and figure it would take 40-60 hours per year to keep them clean week in and week out. What's your time (and exposure to brake chemicals?) worth?

For a track car, the costs/benefits would probably change and I'd skip PCCB and get gray wheels.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:44 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds like you had a great drive, John.

I think it's great that you got a GT4 with PCCB—it was my one regret in my GT4 spec, and a source of pleasure every time I apply the brakes in the 911 (which is...every time you drive the car, no matter what you're up to) or look at its continuously clean silver wheels.
Pete - yeah, totally. The Santa Cruz Mountain roads never get old. And this car is a fantastic thing on them. I seriously wish for the powerkit 3.8, but that would just be gilding the Lilly.

When did you get your 991.2? Sounds like you’re digging it. Good for you!
Old 11-28-2017, 06:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Pete - yeah, totally. The Santa Cruz Mountain roads never get old. And this car is a fantastic thing on them. I seriously wish for the powerkit 3.8, but that would just be gilding the Lilly.

When did you get your 991.2? Sounds like you’re digging it. Good for you!
About a month ago...went into deadlines and put everything to the side. Drove it down to Palo Alto last night and what a perfect do-everything Porsche. I'll miss the GT4, but still have an old hot-rod for that hot-rod thing. You're in good shape with one of the best 991s in your garage alongside a GT4.

Quick Reply: Daily Drive