Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone using Rennline tie down points on GT4?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Anyone using Rennline tie down points on GT4?

I am considering buying a set of the tie down points that Rennline sells (both front and rear parts). I have been connecting my ratchet straps to axle straps that go through the wheels but I cannot seem to avoid the D rings on the axle straps or the axle straps themselves rubbing on the upside down scoops on the underbody in front of the front wheels. I would have bought the Rennline tie down points already but I have a set of Jackpoint jackstands with the flat adapters they offer, and I don’t think the the Rennline front tie down points would sit flush on top of the Jackpoint stands, as the RL parts are held in place with a bolt. Anyone tried this? Also just looking for general thoughts on using the Rennline tie down points on the GT4. If anyone uses them, even if you don’t have jackpoint jack stands I would still like to hear what you think of the RL parts.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:55 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
I am considering buying a set of the tie down points that Rennline sells (both front and rear parts). I have been connecting my ratchet straps to axle straps that go through the wheels but I cannot seem to avoid the D rings on the axle straps or the axle straps themselves rubbing on the upside down scoops on the underbody in front of the front wheels. I would have bought the Rennline tie down points already but I have a set of Jackpoint jackstands with the flat adapters they offer, and I don’t think the the Rennline front tie down points would sit flush on top of the Jackpoint stands, as the RL parts are held in place with a bolt. Anyone tried this? Also just looking for general thoughts on using the Rennline tie down points on the GT4. If anyone uses them, even if you don’t have jackpoint jack stands I would still like to hear what you think of the RL parts.
I use the front and rear chassis tie downs from Rennline. They work well and we're easy to install. The fronts were a little tricky at first. You insert a metal bracket into the jackpoint and you have to align the hole in the bracket blindly with the hole in the tie down, then gently begin to turn the bolt get it to catch and engage the bracket so you can secure the tie down. You'll see what I mean. I also found it helpful to trim some of the rubbery stuff that's sprayed on the jackpoint with a razor blade so the tie down sits flush on the jackpoint.

I use quickjacks to raise the car which use rubber blocks placed at the jackpoints. There have been no issues with tie downs in place.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Rennline jackpoint tie down anchors up front, and the Fabspeed anchors on the rear. I like using these over the axle straps since there's less tie down equipment to lug around and attach. I also like the "positive" clip-in sound and feel when using the MAC Tie down straps and ratchets. No problems when using a jack, just need to be careful not to put the jack under the "ring" portion of the anchor. It will bend. Even though the bolt protrudes from the anchor, I haven't had any issues placing the jack directly under the bolt.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
I use the Rennline jackpoint tie down anchors up front, and the Fabspeed anchors on the rear. I like using these over the axle straps since there's less tie down equipment to lug around and attach. I also like the "positive" clip-in sound and feel when using the MAC Tie down straps and ratchets. No problems when using a jack, just need to be careful not to put the jack under the "ring" portion of the anchor. It will bend. Even though the bolt protrudes from the anchor, I haven't had any issues placing the jack directly under the bolt.
Do the straps you are using have snap hooks or the so-called "wire hooks"?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:29 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
I'm using the Rennline hooks. Very convenient and have towed for hundreds of miles.

These for the front

These for the rear

I'm also jacking up the front directly on the bolt. Is there a hockey puck or something similar that would allow the jack to sit flush on the plate, rather than the bolt? Probably no big deal to jack on the bolt, but seems like it could be more of a solid connection.

Attachment 1346367
Old 11-11-2017, 02:42 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Do the straps you are using have snap hooks or the so-called "wire hooks"?
I use the snap clips. I would recommend these over the hooks.

Last edited by pvgolfer; 11-11-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone using Rennline tie down points on GT4?