Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:06 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
While we wait for more GT4 rumors to surface....... I’m not sure if this adds much to the “list” discussion, but I was on a “MSRP list” at my local dealer for the 991.2 GT3. Was promised an allocation in writing too from the GM; well as it turns out ALL of their GT3 allocations not sold to VIPs or “influencers” were sold with ADMs. I got absolutely nothing.

Now I’m looking in the used Canadian market and asking prices are OVER MSRP for fully loaded $220-$230K cars. Are there a lot of used options..... oh yes, but it would have been actually less expensive for me to just pay $10-$15K ADM and spec the car how I want.

So now I’m in the GT4 forums because I don’t want a fully loaded used GT3 and my wonderful dealership promised me an actual configurable GT4 allocation for $10K ADM. I took the deal and will spec the car I want.

For the record, I absolutely hate the ADM game, but what options do I have? I tried the MSRP only route and failed. I’d rather pay extra & have European delivery on a car I specced exactly how I want instead of buying second hand and compromising. Just my 2c......
And this is why I am a firm believer the 981 GT4 will not depreciate much when the 718 GT4 is released. As with the 991 GT3's, it seems that the prices for the new cars just continue to go up and the outgoing models barley go down.

It pays to get over wanting the latest and greatest. For many years/decades I could not wait for the new model to come out on the cars that I coveted, but as I have gotten older I have lost that desire a bit. Of course I would still love to be one of the first to have a new model, and if I had money to burn I would probably do it, but I honestly don't need it anymore, because it is a never ending chase. It's a short lived high and lasts for maybe a year or two, until they release some upgrades and improvements and the whole things starts over again. I still enjoy watching it play out, but am content riding the wave a few years behind and it saves me A LOT of money ;-)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:14 AM
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
While we wait for more GT4 rumors to surface....... I’m not sure if this adds much to the “list” discussion, but I was on a “MSRP list” at my local dealer for the 991.2 GT3. Was promised an allocation in writing too from the GM; well as it turns out ALL of their GT3 allocations not sold to VIPs or “influencers” were sold with ADMs. I got absolutely nothing.

Now I’m looking in the used Canadian market and asking prices are OVER MSRP for fully loaded $220-$230K cars. Are there a lot of used options..... oh yes, but it would have been actually less expensive for me to just pay $10-$15K ADM and spec the car how I want.

So now I’m in the GT4 forums because I don’t want a fully loaded used GT3 and my wonderful dealership promised me an actual configurable GT4 allocation for $10K ADM. I took the deal and will spec the car I want.

For the record, I absolutely hate the ADM game, but what options do I have? I tried the MSRP only route and failed. I’d rather pay extra & have European delivery on a car I specced exactly how I want instead of buying second hand and compromising. Just my 2c......
WOW. I am sorry to hear that. A real story of being on a MSRP list and getting screwed.
I guess it all comes down to the honor and reputation of the dealership. What they did was dishonorable in order to make a buck.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

"What they did was dishonorable in order to make a buck.[/QUOTE]"
wow how unusual a dealer doing something unethical just to make money. carl
Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Rxpert- you did the right thing. I’d have a problem in principal doing that but the reality is that Canadian 981 GT4s still trade at a premium to list so you’d be paying a premium even if you were buying used. I had a problem paying msrp +15% a year ago for a 981, but couldn’t find a better deal.

What city are you in? $10k ADM is pretty low relative to last car if I recall.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 PM
OpenWheelFan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
And this is why I am a firm believer the 981 GT4 will not depreciate much when the 718 GT4 is released. As with the 991 GT3's, it seems that the prices for the new cars just continue to go up and the outgoing models barley go down.

It pays to get over wanting the latest and greatest. For many years/decades I could not wait for the new model to come out on the cars that I coveted, but as I have gotten older I have lost that desire a bit. Of course I would still love to be one of the first to have a new model, and if I had money to burn I would probably do it, but I honestly don't need it anymore, because it is a never ending chase. It's a short lived high and lasts for maybe a year or two, until they release some upgrades and improvements and the whole things starts over again. I still enjoy watching it play out, but am content riding the wave a few years behind and it saves me A LOT of money ;-)
+1
Old 02-16-2019, 01:09 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
"What they did was dishonorable in order to make a buck.
"
[/QUOTE]

Next thing you know someone will claim water is wet.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

While in Belgium, and probably the same in Germany, everyone who bothered to order a 981 GT4 could do so @ MSRP... Ok, the first batch of 2500 was sold out when the GT4 featured in magazines, but Porsche made 6000 GT4...

I payed my deposit a month ago and I am second on the list, out of 7 allocations in that dealership for the first 3 months of production. Much more will follow there after.

In truth tough, we all pay ADM here in Belgium in the form of a 13000€ tax to get the car registered. That cools down the scam, sorry, business a bit...
Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Hard to believe any dealers having actual allocations at this point... can anyone confirm? I’d like see something other than them just saying they have them.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:09 PM
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
"What they did was dishonorable in order to make a buck.
"

[/QUOTE]

No, not unusual at all. At the same time, it should be called out for what it is. And not all businesses, and people, are like this even though it is so common these days.
With some people, and businesses, even just their word still matters.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Jeez, if I could guarantee the extra funds, I'd put a deposit down for a GT4 Touring tomorrow!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Hard to believe any dealers having actual allocations at this point... can anyone confirm? I’d like see something other than them just saying they have them.
They don't.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
I have it in email and when I went there the salesperson showed me a spreadsheet with 1 slot each for sept and okt 2019 plus 5 in nov. No firm prices obviously but it would be a 4,0 manual costing about 10% more than the first GT4.

This is all differs very much with wat Car UK wrote... Not sure who to believe TBH.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:05 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
I have it in email and when I went there the salesperson showed me a spreadsheet with 1 slot each for sept and okt 2019 plus 5 in nov. No firm prices obviously but it would be a 4,0 manual costing about 10% more than the first GT4.

This is all differs very much with wat Car UK wrote... Not sure who to believe TBH.
It depends where you live, my local dealer takes a 2K deposit and you go on the list. When the car is released they call the people on the list, in order, and ask if they want to take up their allocation. They do it because it works and they know who the long term repeat buyers are. Most have their names down two or more years in advance (and some for multiple models).
Old 02-17-2019, 06:49 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine

If they get actual allocations from PAG they also get their cost (price) in case they refuse (not likely) to take some of the cars and can move the allocations to other dealers worldwide.
They know (PAG) that dealers need pricing once allocations are out so they can go through their list of clients and/or play their ADM game.
Actually on the 981 the pricing was known before the actual allocations were released on March 2015
I remember my dealer getting extra allocations on the 981 because some dealers in the region turn down several cars.
They probably showed you an internal dealer speculation of what they will get to keep track of the number of deposits...once PAG has the initial production set allocations are distributed worldwide.
The 10% increase in cost is pretty close to what PAG increases from generation to generation.....my guess was 8% so pretty close

Old 02-17-2019, 01:05 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by ciscostud
"
No, not unusual at all. At the same time, it should be called out for what it is. And not all businesses, and people, are like this even though it is so common these days.
With some people, and businesses, even just their word still matters.[/QUOTE]

it was a joke I was being facetious . Carl

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?