GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The idea of buying a performance minded car with comfort in mind seems silly to me.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Originally Posted by VLJ
The idea of buying a performance minded car with comfort in mind seems silly to me.
Such a statement means you are likely under 50 and have a good back.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacelle

There is nothing wrong with the sofa seats, they are pefectctly fine for everyday driving and for those who take the car for occasional track use. I had the sofa’s in my 997.2 GT3 and they were great on and off the track, loved the car for five years. Had the buckets in my GT4 and sure they looked good but for me they are not a necessity. Did not make the car look any better or worse. In your opinion they look horrible and feel wrong, maybe even to the majority but not to everyone for their own reasons. Just different opinions.... have them in my 991.2 GT3 and do not miss the buckets and I think the sofa’s look great. Will probably get them again in the GT4.... different strokes that is all. There is no right or wrong.
friends dont let friends ride sofa seats. Lol
I have buckets in my GT3RS and my daily driver 2008 turbo. They look the part and are not bad.
Although they are a pain to get in and out of for daily duty. At some point when im finally ready to admit im too old, the sofas go back in.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Climate control for two days. Clearly Geneva cannot come quick enough.

BTW, there are a couple of threads on single vs duel climate control....
Sorry, my bad!

But I have 2 tickets for the airplane from Brussels to Geneva on Saturday March 16th and return Sunday (cheaper than the first weekend) + hotel + entrance!

Who knows, maybe my wife agrees with the buckets...

But the choice between normal or buckets depends also how you use your GT4. I have only mild interest for the track (never tried it but I wil) and my wife and I actually drive to places together. Last summer, she took the wheel of my 981 2,7 PDK on a Whelsh mountain road and she is now officially a bonafide Porschephile too...

Old 01-24-2019, 02:27 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

My wife insisted on GT4 when I said that’s sold out, how about Cayman S? And it had to be LWB. Glad I listened to her. Still sometimes I think dual climate control would be good because sometimes I like cool air in my face but the passenger might find it too cold.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:50 PM
VLJ
Pro

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
Such a statement means you are likely under 50 and have a good back.
Under 50, yes. Good back? no. Hit by a car in 2014 and had numerous fractures and will never be the same. You know what? These cars are supposed to be performance oriented and not compromising so I let the car tell me how I'm supposed to feel. It's part of the experience IMO.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
Under 50, yes. Good back? no. Hit by a car in 2014 and had numerous fractures and will never be the same. You know what? These cars are supposed to be performance oriented and not compromising so I let the car tell me how I'm supposed to feel. It's part of the experience IMO.
pain and suffering!?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Originally Posted by VLJ
Sorry about your injury, that's awful. I have a GT3T, 991.2 GTS, and Spyder all with sofas. Tried the buckets in Atlanta and hated them. Different strokes for different folks. My cars are for touring, back road fun and daily use. Comfort is as important to me as the NA howl. Porsche is smart to let folks spec them differently. I'm sure my next car will have sofas as well. If I was a track guy I'd probably feel differently.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I get it too (about the buckets) but its hard to deny that its pivotal on this car. When a GT4 sells they demand more. When they are spoke of they are referred to more. When they are sat in they command more. Its undeniable.

Look I am 54, have a replacement hip, two heart attacks, but my Sons GT4 has 'em (he would not accept any other option), my Ferrari has them (their own example), and my daily long-hood 911 has a similar version (of course era correct) and all of them are not easy ingress/egress. Its pretty important to me tho' ~ and I am old with aftermarket parts.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:47 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
Then you must enjoy driving your performance car without poser gear such as windshield, roof, doors, side windows, interior, carpeting, cushioned seats, heat, a/c, and radio. Must be a blast!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:56 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Just got an invitation to the Chicago Autoshow's Porsche First Look right after the press day events are over. Worth attending? I usually do the charity event but was passing this year. Anyone done this before? Think anyone there will have any remote knowledge on the gt4?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:58 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

The buckets confuse me. I sat in them and they don't go any lower than the base seats, so you aren't getting any helmet clearance help. I'm tall though so that is my usual reason to go to a bucket.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
well.. what do you expect it to look like? the only aesthetic changes from cayman to gt4 are bumpers and minor stuff like side skirts.. we already know from mules what front looks like.. add a little raised spoiler and side scoops and.. there is your car no?
It just look wayyyyyyyyy too similar. The front bumper is basically the same front bumper besides the black in the bottom center. The side scoops are exactly the same from that magazine shot. I was just hoping it would look a little more aggressive/different.
It's okay, I'm still getting one lol.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:06 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Then you must enjoy driving your performance car without poser gear such as windshield, roof, doors, side windows, interior, carpeting, cushioned seats, heat, a/c, and radio. Must be a blast!
Sounds like the Caterham lightweight I drove the other day with hard shell buckets. The LWB in a GT4 are sofas in comparison. I think the GT4 is the right amount of comfort and hard edge. Best of both
Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by mithiral67
Just got an invitation to the Chicago Autoshow's Porsche First Look right after the press day events are over. Worth attending? I usually do the charity event but was passing this year. Anyone done this before? Think anyone there will have any remote knowledge on the gt4?
No

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 GT4?