GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Old 01-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

So nobody here seems to believe in a 718 GT4 touring?

I am guessing it will become reality. Just like the 718 T is a trickled down idea from the 911 T. Hence I think the wrongly labeled 718 T test mule with GT4 diffuser is actually the GT4 touring.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I think you will find that Manthey is owned 50% by Porsche and 50% by Olaf. So strong factory connections but independent. like a way to have a skunkworks.
Actually Porsche had own 51% of Manthey since back in 2013
Old 01-06-2019, 10:03 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greggmorton

In the world of Porsche, GT is the ‘equivalent’ of the AMG or M moniker.

MR would be closer to DINAN for BMW or BRABUS for Mercedes. It is over and above the Motorsport treatment from the factory.

What makes Manthey Racing slightly different is it is owned by Porsche which adds an additional layer of complexity when trying to compare. However, MR is definitely more than AMG or M.
Nah. Dinan and Brabus are 2 bit after market tuners. very different than Manthey.

Manthey is Porsche's racing arm.

Weissach, i.e. Porsche Motorsport ran the LMP program, and soon the Formula E.

Manthey runs the Sports Car side for Porsche. They wear the official Motorsport attire at the track instead of Manthey gear. Manthey also do races under their own banner too.

When we did the Porsche Racing Experience last summer, competing in the Sport Cup Deutschland, we were training at Manthey's HQ and the crew wears Porsche gear instead of Manthey gear at the track.

That alone make them way above Brabus and Dinan.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 PM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Nah. Dinan and Brabus are 2 bit after market tuners. very different than Manthey.

Manthey is Porsche's racing arm.

Weissach, i.e. Porsche Motorsport ran the LMP program, and soon the Formula E.

Manthey runs the Sports Car side for Porsche. They wear the official Motorsport attire at the track instead of Manthey gear. Manthey also do races under their own banner too.

When we did the Porsche Racing Experience last summer, competing in the Sport Cup Deutschland, we were training at Manthey's HQ and the crew wears Porsche gear instead of Manthey gear at the track.

That alone make them way above Brabus and Dinan.
Thanks for the insight, Whoopsy. I tried to draw a comparison, but probably too different to do so.

I guess with that being said, does AMG or M have a Manthey equivalent?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Dumb question - what's the difference between the "GT4 MR" and the "GT4 Clubsport" - is that denoting "Manthey Racing" as in the equivalent of an "AMG" or "M" moniker?
The GT4 "Clubsport" is the track only car.
The "MR" option is that car but with additional parts developed by Manthey Racing for Porsche Motorsports. (lightweight headlights, carbon fenders, bumpers, hood, hatch, hemp doors, splitter and wing etc)
Old 01-07-2019, 12:10 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greggmorton

Thanks for the insight, Whoopsy. I tried to draw a comparison, but probably too different to do so.

I guess with that being said, does AMG or M have a Manthey equivalent?
In a way, AMG is Mercedes' equivalent. AMG runs Mercedes' racing program, be it F1 or Sports Cars.

BMW M also. M Motorsport runs all their factory racing efforts.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The GT4 "Clubsport" is the track only car.
The "MR" option is that car but with additional parts developed by Manthey Racing for Porsche Motorsports. (lightweight headlights, carbon fenders, bumpers, hood, hatch, hemp doors, splitter and wing etc)

Buddy, thought they did away with the MR name this time around? Just a Trackday and a Competition model?
Old 01-07-2019, 01:07 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
Cross drilled tend to crack around the holes after being beat on for a bit.
Thanks. After posting that question I realized that drilling holes through the rotors will impact the structural integrity. Road cars wouldn't see as much stress.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:46 AM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the emission regulation change dates are known way ahead of time so manufacturers can plan for it. That makes me think these "last minute changes" are not some emissions restriction that has to be met.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
So nobody here seems to believe in a 718 GT4 touring?

I am guessing it will become reality. Just like the 718 T is a trickled down idea from the 911 T. Hence I think the wrongly labeled 718 T test mule with GT4 diffuser is actually the GT4 touring.
There is no obvious reason for a touring and seeing a weird mule doesn't mean much. The GT3 touring was made after the 911R success (or debacle depending on your perspective) to satisfy the manual or death crowd. There is no indication that GT4 will not have a manual (on the contrary, PDK is the unlikeliest of options still) so there is no point in a GT4 touring. If you want a road car sans wing they will make a Boxster Spyder for you. No point to make a hard top version of that and make their lives more difficult.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
There is no obvious reason for a touring and seeing a weird mule doesn't mean much. The GT3 touring was made after the 911R success (or debacle depending on your perspective) to satisfy the manual or death crowd. There is no indication that GT4 will not have a manual (on the contrary, PDK is the unlikeliest of options still) so there is no point in a GT4 touring. If you want a road car sans wing they will make a Boxster Spyder for you. No point to make a hard top version of that and make their lives more difficult.
I agree, no point in doing specific touring or R version of the gt4.

Better to just offer a wing delete option.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0

I agree, no point in doing specific touring or R version of the gt4.

Better to just offer a wing delete option.
You might want the non-GT speed sensitive spoiler or duck tail on the back to balance out the extra downforce from the front GT4 PU and splitter.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Buddy, thought they did away with the MR name this time around? Just a Trackday and a Competition model?
I wondered the same thing. But the MR name is back.
So the options are a trackday car with street car brake booster, then a competition car with dual master brake system and then the MR car with brake bias ****, bladed sway bar and carbon/hemp panels.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I wondered the same thing. But the MR name is back.
MR car with brake bias ****, bladed sway bar and carbon/hemp panels.
Surely theres got to be more to it than this? plastic doors (ok not hemp), brake bias adjusters and adjustable anti-roll bars are standard stuff as are a lot of the KW suspension components seen in Manthey cars and many, many others or am I missing something??
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 AM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Surely theres got to be more to it than this? plastic doors (ok not hemp), brake bias adjusters and adjustable anti-roll bars are standard stuff as are a lot of the KW suspension components seen in Manthey cars and many, many others or am I missing something??
There's a lot of mis information in these posts. The car that some members are calling "MR" is actually called the SRO car and this is different then the competition version by means of the Carbon Body work. This includes ( hood, Front fenders with GT3R Style head lamps, front bumper and rear bumper ) these light weight pieces of body work allow the car to go on quite the diet. The press car that you see in the Youtube Porsche short film is a competition version. If you guys have any detailed questions, please feel free to posted them here for us to answer or email us at info@rennsport-one.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 GT4?