Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Old 01-03-2019, 04:51 PM
LordLucan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Please tell me more...! This is a bombshell..!
The bombshell is all the "experts" on here that were swearing blind it would be a 4.0L,
Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CJ rippin it up
Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Bombshell...nothing happened. Back to enjoying my car...
Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really hoping and almost certain that the Clubsport reveal would once and for all end all the speculation about the next GT4 (Street Car). It's just gone and made it worse. I just hope Porsche announces the street car as soon as possible.
It seems like everyone could be right.

BGB and TCS had alluded to a 3.8L with X51 for the clubsport which we now know is true.
Whoopsy and Chris were stating that the street car would get the 4.0L which could also be true.
LordLucan (Troll) was going on and on about the engines in the racecar and streetcar not needing to be the same, which would also be true based on the above.

The only camp that probably go it wrong was the turbo group.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte
I was really hoping and almost certain that the Clubsport reveal would once and for all end all the speculation about the next GT4 (Street Car). It's just gone and made it worse. I just hope Porsche announces the street car as soon as possible.
It seems like everyone could be right.

BGB and TCS had alluded to a 3.8L with X51 for the clubsport which we now know is true.
Whoopsy and Chris were stating that the street car would get the 4.0L which could also be true.
LordLucan (Troll) was going on and on about the engines in the racecar and streetcar not needing to be the same, which would also be true based on the above.

The only camp that probably go it wrong was the turbo group.
no doubt in my mind that the 982 GT4 will use the same engine as the race car. It makes no sense to do anything different. As someone previously stated, if they were going to use a 4.0l in the street car why not use it in the race car. It would be a huge advantage. 425hp is nothing to scoff at.
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If the road car has a different engine, why would it be a 4.0? If they were going to make a 4.0 for the street car why would this also not be used for the race car? I am sure the extra power under the curve across the Rev range would have been useful. I would bet that if it does have a different engine it's the 3.0T from the 911S. This would follow the same formula as the last road car. The engine may not have been used in a race application due to heat management issues from the turbos that could not be easily resolved.
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LordLucan
The road car can (and possibly will) have a different engine to the race car. Rather fishy delay / unusual sequencing of the release of the race car and road car.
Well LordLucan, Chris3963 has now echoed what you have been saying. You might have an interesting point in the timing. Also, just because it was done on the past GT4 street car, does it have to be done on the upcoming street car released significantly later than the clubsport?
Could it be claimed to be a different gen or whatever?
Also why would Porsche make two different NA engines?? I believe it has already technically been established the 3.0T won't fit in the 718. I don't see a turbo.
We may not have the posts and credentials for the highest credibility, but it is hard to completely disregard someone like Chris3963 when they make such a powerful statement, with that many posts, that much contribution to the forums, living in Europe, and on and on.
MAYBE you are not a complete troll after all, Lucan. Who knows.. lol 8-)

US race teams, anyone? TCS, BGB? Whoopsy? Chris3963 seems to know something and be a highly credible source. It almost feels like we are not much closer to ending the debate on the street car engine. I thought we would be today.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:03 PM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Road car Feb reveal and shown in the flesh at Geneva - unfortunately the speculation about engine does not die thanks to ongoing comments from Chris and Whoopsy. The wait continues...
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

With Porsche history of Value Engineering, 3.8L with X51 package is most likely for the street car as well.

Possible for a stroked 3.8L to 4.0L but this cost more than using existing parts and require additional engineering of other components, less likely

a GT3 4.0L - this is not possible as if wont fit in the 718 chassis, look at the PET diagram for a GT3 vs a reg 911, then you can see the difference of the rear end - stop dreaming of unicorns.
Also, this engine cost $60-70k so Porsche wont put it in the 718 for a retail price of $90-95.
Mig9
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

saddest part of it is that the street car won't have that wing. Wonder if I make a case to Porsche that I want to be ecologically conscious and need to have that wing if they'll replace it.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:06 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte
You can't really call him a troll if he is right, can ya? You got to admit; that dude has been sticking his neck out against all the flames. Now, Chris seems to vindicate him. So, is he still a troll?? Now, I really hope that it is NA 4.0!

Old 01-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
You can't really call him a troll if he is right, can ya? You got to admit; that dude has been sticking his neck out against all the flames. Now, Chris seems to vindicate him. So, is he still a troll?? Now, I really hope that it is NA 4.0!
I tend to agree with you!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Five12Free

no doubt in my mind that the 982 GT4 will use the same engine as the race car. It makes no sense to do anything different. As someone previously stated, if they were going to use a 4.0l in the street car why not use it in the race car. It would be a huge advantage. 425hp is nothing to scoff at.
This is what I believe as well. I am hoping Chris and Whoopsy chime in again and tell us why they think otherwise. This whole thing is borderline torture.

Originally Posted by Ryan_G
If the road car has a different engine, why would it be a 4.0? If they were going to make a 4.0 for the street car why would this also not be used for the race car? I am sure the extra power under the curve across the Rev range would have been useful. I would bet that if it does have a different engine it's the 3.0T from the 911S. This would follow the same formula as the last road car. The engine may not have been used in a race application due to heat management issues from the turbos that could not be easily resolved.
The 3.0T will not fit in the Cayman. That was the reason for why the Cayman would not get the 3.0T.

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
Road car Feb reveal and shown in the flesh at Geneva - unfortunately the speculation about engine does not die thanks to ongoing comments from Chris and Whoopsy. The wait continues...
Really waiting to hear from either of them now.

Originally Posted by the_rider
I did not call him a troll. Was just referencing his nickname on here. I hope it is a 4.0L NA too but LordLucan was initially alluding to a turbo and not an NA engine.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:20 PM
blomman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The first 991 cup used the old mezger engine although it was revealed after the 991 gt3 with the new engine.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:21 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

There is another possibility given all the particulate filter issues with the NA engines——turbo 4 w/ 400HP. Nothing is set in stone and what may have been planned for 6-8 months ago may have changed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 GT4?