Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:43 PM
LordLucan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not at all. Almost everything I dislike about the 718 is styling related, save for the fart can exhaust. Front end is weaker, less vertical depth, and the new headlights are awful IMO, very Japanese anime bug look. And the new taillights/light bar are awful in my opinion. Just my opinion. Styling is obviously subjective.
Have to admit, I like the styling of the 718 a little bit more than the 981. Perhaps it's just because it's a bit more contemporary than the 981. Which will stand the test of time better, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:02 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by toppestofkeks
I agree with the 992, the square hood takes us back several decades. But I can't possibly imagine what criticism one could have against the styling updates to the 718 generation. A rear end with new streamlined and contrasting tail lights. The front mostly reusing the 981 GTS styling. What is there not to like? Sounds to me like bias against the 718 because of the cylinder count rather than styling to be honest. Hating for the sake of hating if you will.
I much prefer the 981 styling in each configuration. And we have a 718 base and a 981 GT4. I also had a 981 GTS prior. The front and rear of the 981 just suit my tastes more and I really dislike the vents inside the 718.

For the 718 GT4, I don't mind the diffuser or the exhaust. I just dislike the taillights and reflectors in the bumper cover.

I'm also not in love with the new wheel design that's on some of the test mules, if those make it to production.

These are all opinion and all down to styling. That said, I don't care about the cylinder count in the GT4 at all. I'm curious, sure. But I hope it drops with an engine and transmission that makes everyone happy. Love my car now, will love my car after.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:16 PM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
I much prefer the 981 styling in each configuration. And we have a 718 base and a 981 GT4. I also had a 981 GTS prior. The front and rear of the 981 just suit my tastes more and I really dislike the vents inside the 718.

For the 718 GT4, I don't mind the diffuser or the exhaust. I just dislike the taillights and reflectors in the bumper cover.

I'm also not in love with the new wheel design that's on some of the test mules, if those make it to production.

These are all opinion and all down to styling. That said, I don't care about the cylinder count in the GT4 at all. I'm curious, sure. But I hope it drops with an engine and transmission that makes everyone happy. Love my car now, will love my car after.
not really liking the non GTS 981 Cayman front bumper design with the fog lamps though...
Old 11-17-2018, 03:20 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm always surprised how picky you folks are. I loves me some Porsches, and I make a living discerning tiny details, but I've gotta say, lots of the things that are pointed out in this forum are lost on me. Loved my 993, Loved my 997 GTS Cab. Love the 991. Probably will love the 992. Loved my 981 GT4, love my 981 Spyder, Love the 718 cosmetically. 996, not so much. Love Ginger, Love Mary Anne. Mrs. Howell, not so much. As long as they keep cranking out some 3 pedal ragtops I'm pretty much good with PCNA.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I'm always surprised how picky you folks are. I loves me some Porsches, and I make a living discerning tiny details, but I've gotta say, lots of the things that are pointed out in this forum are lost on me. Loved my 993, Loved my 997 GTS Cab. Love the 991. Probably will love the 992. Loved my 981 GT4, love my 981 Spyder, Love the 718 cosmetically. 996, not so much. Love Ginger, Love Mary Anne. Mrs. Howell, not so much. As long as they keep cranking out some 3 pedal ragtops I'm pretty much good with PCNA.
lol Love this post! Especially the G.I. reference and agree with 3 pedal ragtops. 😉
Old 11-18-2018, 05:59 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
The current edition of Panorama Street Talk section page 22 say the 718 Spyder version will be the 4.0 GT3 engine. Not sure of their track record but it seems they are usually accurate on upcoming Porsche models.
no way 4.0 Gt3 engine.
Think 3.8 NA carrera engine with filter.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 AM
MilkNCookies
Intermediate

so P medias announced 992 to be presented the 27th of november, at this point i doubt that they will pop a gt4 just 3 days after that
Old 11-19-2018, 10:37 AM
Pcar81
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7

no way 4.0 Gt3 engine.
Think 3.8 NA carrera engine with filter.
And how do you know this?
More speculation?

Predictions are all over the place.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:56 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar81

And how do you know this?
More speculation?

Predictions are all over the place.
To your point that there is lots of speculation - not a GT3 engine is about the only thing that we do know!!!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
To your point that there is lots of speculation - not a GT3 engine is about the only thing that we do know!!!
Do we really know for sure it’s not a GT3 engine? Porsche is instead going to revive an old production line or design a new 4.0L engine just for the GT4/Spyder?

The prototypes still sound near identical to 3.0 turbo motors to me, and nothing like the old NA 3.8 of the previous generation. Maybe they are NA 3.8 or 4L motors with a reduced redline (7.5k-ish it sounds to me), but with very restrictive exhaust and particulate filters to meet euro 5 sound and emission rules.

The only thing I’m confident about is that it’s not 4 cylinder, and probably a flat 6, given that it would have to rev to over 10k RPM to produce the exhaust note it produces with 4 cylinders.

Beyond that, we know essentially nothing. Whoopsy is not god.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:13 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wizee

Do we really know for sure it’s not a GT3 engine? Porsche is instead going to revive an old production line or design a new 4.0L engine just for the GT4/Spyder?

The prototypes still sound near identical to 3.0 turbo motors to me, and nothing like the old NA 3.8 of the previous generation. Maybe they are NA 3.8 or 4L motors with a reduced redline (7.5k-ish it sounds to me), but with very restrictive exhaust and particulate filters to meet euro 5 sound and emission rules.

The only thing I’m confident about is that it’s not 4 cylinder, and probably a flat 6, given that it would have to rev to over 10k RPM to produce the exhaust note it produces with 4 cylinders.

Beyond that, we know essentially nothing. Whoopsy is not god.
It's not just Whoopsy. There are a couple others on here who run the GT4 race cars who have also alluded to the old 3.8L with the X51.
All of these are people who've directly seen the car or have spoken to someone who has seen the car. The clubsport cars are definitely NA based on the exhaust in the videos of the car at Monza. There cannot be a doubt regarding that. Since these need to be based on the road going version of the car, you can safely assume that the road car will also be NA and with the same engine that's in the clubsport car.

Till a little over a week ago, it was all but certain that the car will get the 3.8L X51 but there seems to be a lot of back and forth on the 4.0L vs 3.8L topic. Making it 4.0L might annoy a few GT3 owners and might warrant a higher price as well which kind of goes against what the GT4 is trying to do.

11 more days to the LA auto show.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 PM
LordLucan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gatte
It's not just Whoopsy. There are a couple others on here who run the GT4 race cars who have also alluded to the old 3.8L with the X51.
All of these are people who've directly seen the car or have spoken to someone who has seen the car. The clubsport cars are definitely NA based on the exhaust in the videos of the car at Monza. There cannot be a doubt regarding that. Since these need to be based on the road going version of the car, you can safely assume that the road car will also be NA and with the same engine that's in the clubsport car.

Till a little over a week ago, it was all but certain that the car will get the 3.8L X51 but there seems to be a lot of back and forth on the 4.0L vs 3.8L topic. Making it 4.0L might annoy a few GT3 owners and might warrant a higher price as well which kind of goes against what the GT4 is trying to do.

Sorry, don't agree that the Club Sport is necessarily NA. Certainly not the case that "There cannot be doubt regarding that" as you say above. And neither is it true that the Club Sport has to have the same engine as the road car. It is more likely than not that it will have the same engine, but it doesn't have to have the same engine at all.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte

I am baffled by how much time and energy is wasted debating which engine Porsche will use for the next GT4. At this point, what difference does it make? It'll be whatever they select and you and others can choose to buy or not. While Porsche is not infallible, they're pretty darn smart and run the most profitably auto business in the world.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:37 PM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone encountered (whether speculation or fact) Porsche attempting to run a diversion / push out propaganda?

A lot of what I’ve been reading kind of feels that way...

I’m convinced of a 3.8 X51.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:04 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

It's more than likely that Porsche have tried a variety of engines, hence the various rumours from some very well connected people.

The reality is a a number of people have been invited and shown the GT4 clubsport. These are people that race these cars in class.

In in all likelihood, if they are saying 3.8X51 that's what it'll be - sure not 100% certain but more than likely correct.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?