Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:33 PM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbkarter

Ehhhhhhh...you seem to be leaving out, unfamiliar with, what have you, a critical detail- aka- the particulate filter situation. Though it's yet to be fully confirmed (which until a car is built with it and someone else puts it on a lift- nothing is really "confirmed" is it?) all signs point to post Sept '18 and CY '19 Euro RS builds including the new particulate filter. Logic would stand to reason any other application of the 4.0l would also include said filter, thus making it completely plausible the GT4 (and perhaps Spyder) could have the 4.0l.

As for the videos- I've yet to hear one at WOT or even at anything above 4kish RPMs so to try and bet your life on any of those videos conclusively telling you one way or the other would be a risky proposition. Several key RL members who for years have been nearly dead on with every tiny shred of information they're allowed to leak have said- NA. They've also said nearly every combo imaginable has been tested in the car, so there's no way to know which car you're even listening to in those videos. It very may well be a turbo power plant in it- but that doesn't mean it's the final production mule does it?

But to help out HelpMeHelpU (yeaaa see what I did there dontcha!) it's been pretty well noted, hinted at, borderline flat out announced that the Clubsport- which will be released before the street car- will be in the hands of teams for testing very very soon. And as others with their fingers on the pulse of PMNA have noted- it's going to be NA, and 99.9% chance it's going to be the 4.0l. Again, they tested tons of other options, it's come back to the 4.0l. As for actual power levels- who knows; I've heard everything from 420hp (which IMHO would be a mistake) to 450hp (muchhhh better) but short of a complete Grinch stole the whole goddamn Christmas- it's going to be NA. Yes- there's always the chance that Porsche deviates from the Clubsport and puts a different power plant in the street car, and yes, there's always a chance they deviate from the 981 and put a different motor in the Spyder than they do in the GT4.

But really- don't gripe at the people who do have information but can only share so much by belittling them with "THIS VIDEO SOUNDS LIKE THIS TO ME AND YOU'RE TELLING ME I JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT BEING SOMETHING ELSE" because they're just going to stop telling us a damn thing- and I don't blame them. Unless the video also happens to show a Monroney sticker in the window, accept that it's just as incomplete a piece of evidence as the random snippets from members with cleaning ladies.

Let's be respectful to those pointing us in the right direction. It's likely that they are at least correct about a 6-cylinder engine, when most were saying/thinking H4 turbo after the Autobahn clip.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Sigh...and even the "ending euro production in 2018" is itself, speculation. I'm scrolling through Porsche AG press releases (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en.html) and unless I missed it- I don't see one in there approximating "vehicles slated for delivery for the EDM with the 4.0l NA motor will cease production on XX/XX/2018" soooo somewhere you're taking someone else's (speculative) statement as gospel. However, any speculative statement from cleaning ladies regarding a 4.0l being installed in a vehicle PAST 12/31/18- which a GT4 would almost certainly be- is automatically discounted because it contradicts what you already consider (speculative) gospel.

Again, I suggest just accepting that there really are no facts available to us Peons, the best we get are the occasional nuggets that then get twisted, distorted, and lost in 10 million conspiracy theories. Anything and everything is possible at this point- hell, they might just not sell the 718 4.0l NA GT4 in Europe- there's a solution to the problem!
sigh x2... Porsche NA sent letters to dealers saying GT3 production ends 2018. What else do you need as confirmation?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackholescion

You can't confirm speculation. But you also can't say for certain what the next motor is based on a single mule because all the sound bites have been from the same car per number plate. People are all over the place on the sound too. 6 cylinder. No 4 cylinder. No NA because this one part of this one video sounded like it.

People are getting too heated over all this. At the end of the day we have cleaning ladies vs a single sound example at low revs and no GT4 in sight anywhere since November (?). I would suspect the cleaning ladies are more accurate in this case and have proven themselves before.

There zero proof either way. One mule does not a car make. However I'd be inclined to believe the cleaning ladies based on track record.

Over on bimmerpost, there was a similar chain of events over the M2 Competition. The cleaning ladies proved correct 2 years before unveiling. The current owners were in denial or ragging on the car before it was announced. Some founded and some not (S55 sounds like an air compressor choking on concrete (true), price will be 10k more and this will be a new model (false)). Who knows and who cares what happens to the exclusiveness of the current car. It's no less special because a newer model came out.

absolutely right. See my previous posts about the spyder mule. I was very careful to use the right words. I quote myself... ‘that SPECIFIC car sounds turbo’. It could be an aero mule, test car, etc. so who knows what engine the GT4 will have. I am positive that currently the 4.0L from the GT3 isn’t 2019 emissions legal in the EU and that Porsche is ending GT3 production in 2018.
Originally Posted by Five12Free

these specifics videos might be, but that specific car had been video’d multiple times now. So if you start adding these events up, I wouldn’t be out of my comfort zone to say that specific car is indeed turbo’d. A rennlist member at the track while on his euro delivery stated that car sounds turbo’d in another thread. The photographer of those photos and video posted today states he thinks the car Is tubo’d. The video from two months ago of that specific car on the highway sounded turbo’d. Interior photos of that specific car, shows a tach that only goes to 8k. That’s the second set of photos showing the 8k tach on that specific car. Does this mean Porsche plans on going into production with a turbo’d spyder? Who knows... but that specific car is turbo’d in my eyes and ears.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Ehhhhhhh...you seem to be leaving out, unfamiliar with, what have you, a critical detail- aka- the particulate filter situation. Though it's yet to be fully confirmed (which until a car is built with it and someone else puts it on a lift- nothing is really "confirmed" is it?) all signs point to post Sept '18 and CY '19 Euro RS builds including the new particulate filter. Logic would stand to reason any other application of the 4.0l would also include said filter, thus making it completely plausible the GT4 (and perhaps Spyder) could have the 4.0l.

As for the videos- I've yet to hear one at WOT or even at anything above 4kish RPMs so to try and bet your life on any of those videos conclusively telling you one way or the other would be a risky proposition. Several key RL members who for years have been nearly dead on with every tiny shred of information they're allowed to leak have said- NA. They've also said nearly every combo imaginable has been tested in the car, so there's no way to know which car you're even listening to in those videos. It very may well be a turbo power plant in it- but that doesn't mean it's the final production mule does it?

But to help out HelpMeHelpU (yeaaa see what I did there dontcha!) it's been pretty well noted, hinted at, borderline flat out announced that the Clubsport- which will be released before the street car- will be in the hands of teams for testing very very soon. And as others with their fingers on the pulse of PMNA have noted- it's going to be NA, and 99.9% chance it's going to be the 4.0l. Again, they tested tons of other options, it's come back to the 4.0l. As for actual power levels- who knows; I've heard everything from 420hp (which IMHO would be a mistake) to 450hp (muchhhh better) but short of a complete Grinch stole the whole goddamn Christmas- it's going to be NA. Yes- there's always the chance that Porsche deviates from the Clubsport and puts a different power plant in the street car, and yes, there's always a chance they deviate from the 981 and put a different motor in the Spyder than they do in the GT4.

But really- don't gripe at the people who do have information but can only share so much by belittling them with "THIS VIDEO SOUNDS LIKE THIS TO ME AND YOU'RE TELLING ME I JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT BEING SOMETHING ELSE" because they're just going to stop telling us a damn thing- and I don't blame them. Unless the video also happens to show a Monroney sticker in the window, accept that it's just as incomplete a piece of evidence as the random snippets from members with cleaning ladies.
Sigh...and even the "ending euro production in 2018" is itself, speculation. I'm scrolling through Porsche AG press releases (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en.html) and unless I missed it- I don't see one in there approximating "vehicles slated for delivery for the EDM with the 4.0l NA motor will cease production on XX/XX/2018" soooo somewhere you're taking someone else's (speculative) statement as gospel. However, any speculative statement from cleaning ladies regarding a 4.0l being installed in a vehicle PAST 12/31/18- which a GT4 would almost certainly be- is automatically discounted because it contradicts what you already consider (speculative) gospel.

Again, I suggest just accepting that there really are no facts available to us Peons, the best we get are the occasional nuggets that then get twisted, distorted, and lost in 10 million conspiracy theories. Anything and everything is possible at this point- hell, they might just not sell the 718 4.0l NA GT4 in Europe- there's a solution to the problem!
+1

Isn't it amazing that sound files recorded on a phone, played back over computer/tablet/phone speakers trump those that have cleaning ladies. Oh, lets no forget the requests for crawling under a low slung car and taking pictures of engine bays to the mix. I want a video of someone doing that.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 PM
4nroots
Advanced

Over on bimmerpost, there was a similar chain of events over the M2 Competition. The cleaning ladies proved correct 2 years before unveiling. The current owners were in denial or ragging on the car before it was announced. Some founded and some not (S55 sounds like an air compressor choking on concrete (true), price will be 10k more and this will be a new model (false)). Who knows and who cares what happens to the exclusiveness of the current car. It's no less special because a newer model came out.
This thread reminds me a lot of the BMW M2 forum. A lot of the current owners did not/do not want the platform to progress to be a better driver's car (especially for a similar price tag that they paid):

At first, M2 owners were very skeptical to believe BMW would put the S55 ///M engine in the M2. Then when it was pretty obvious that it's happening, they insisted the price increase would be 10%++ - pricing is not officially confirmed, but based on preliminary pricing guide & BMW M CEO's interview the price increase will be modest. A lot of emotion after this info was released on that forum; 10 page+ threads with current owners trying to pick apart the 'flaws' in the new car. The current owners aggressively responded to insiders kindly providing info throughout the car's development, but in the end the insiders were vindicated.

Personally I'm glad that the new car is by objective (and probably subjective) measures better overall and with a very reasonable price increase. BMW will get awesome press for their new M2, and it's great for the community at large. IMO something similar will happen here.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4nroots
This thread reminds me a lot of the BMW M2 forum. A lot of the current owners did not/do not want the platform to progress to be a better driver's car (especially for a similar price tag that they paid):

At first, M2 owners were very skeptical to believe BMW would put the S55 ///M engine in the M2. Then when it was pretty obvious that it's happening, they insisted the price increase would be 10%++ - pricing is not officially confirmed, but based on preliminary pricing guide & BMW M CEO's interview the price increase will be modest. A lot of emotion after this info was released on that forum; 10 page+ threads with current owners trying to pick apart the 'flaws' in the new car. The current owners aggressively responded to insiders kindly providing info throughout the car's development, but in the end the insiders were vindicated.

Personally I'm glad that the new car is by objective (and probably subjective) measures better overall and with a very reasonable price increase. BMW will get awesome press for their new M2, and it's great for the community at large. IMO something similar will happen here.
funny you guys keep bringing up the M2 with the S55, because a large reason for that engine choice was the N55 not meeting new euro emissions standards. Instead of wasting money on bringing the N55 up to standard, it was cheaper to just use one that was already updated to meet those standards.

I want GT3 production to continue cause I want one! I wasn’t lucky enough or special enough to my dealer to get one in 2018. So a 4.0L GT4 would be the next best thing... Anywho, you guys win. I give up

Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

funny you guys keep bringing up the M2 with the S55, because a large reason for that engine choice was the N55 not meeting new euro emissions standards. Instead of wasting money on bringing the N55 up to standard, it was cheaper to just use one that was already updated to meet those standards.

I want GT3 production to continue cause I want one! I wasn’t lucky enough or special enough to my dealer to get one in 2018. So a 4.0L GT4 would be the next best thing... Anywho, you guys win. I give up

Main difference here is that the N55 was EOL whereas the S55 would continue in the M4 until 2020. Porsche still is making the 4.0 and will continue to for the next couple of years. At least until RS and/or speedster production ends.

Time will tell. I want the info now so I know if I should attempt to get a gt3 now while some are available or wait. Bleh.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ExMB
+1

Oh, lets no forget the requests for crawling under a low slung car and taking pictures of engine bays to the mix. I want a video of someone doing that.

Have you ever heard of those little selfy sticks???? no need to throw yourself or crawl under the car.......do a search on them
Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Have you ever heard of those little selfy sticks???? no need to throw yourself or crawl under the car.......do a search on them
Any bets that those, pics on a stick, won't be good enough for RL'ers? And who wants to spent $ on a stick and carry it around all the time to possibly try to satisfy RL'ers?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:52 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Any bets that those, pics on a stick, won't be good enough for RL'ers? And who wants to spent $ on a stick to satisfy RL'ers?

I would Consider it community service and helping some people stay sane for the next year!
...maybe we should close this Thread...it could be hazardous for our health!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4 981
^^ Can you point us to how you are so certain about this?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes- there's always the chance that Porsche deviates from the Clubsport and puts a different power plant in the street car, and yes, there's always a chance they deviate from the 981 and put a different motor in the Spyder than they do in the GT4.
For racing GT4, the street car and race have to be same engine to be homoligated to race.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Originally Posted by GT4 981
^^ Can you point us to how you are so certain about this?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:09 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Main difference here is that the N55 was EOL whereas the S55 would continue in the M4 until 2020. Porsche still is making the 4.0 and will continue to for the next couple of years. At least until RS and/or speedster production ends.

Time will tell. I want the info now so I know if I should attempt to get a gt3 now while some are available or wait. Bleh.

if you’re in NC and trying local dealers, good luck. If you’re willing to pay 30k over, there is a used white GT3.2 at Leith Porsche in Raleigh.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 PM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

Surprised nobody has talked about the burble farting noises on the spyder mule, thats signature turbo. Not a fan of that ridiculous synthetic ricer tune. My buddies new M3 zcp sounds like chinese new year

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 GT4?