Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:57 PM
balighshaikh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
We shall all know in less than 24 hours... Porsche Geneva live Press Conference at 3:20 am Tuesday morning EST https://newsroom.porsche.com/en.html
Thanks for the link. Lets hope we see the 718 GT4.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have no problem with "market adjustments" etc. For the same reason I have no problem with dealers selling BELOW MSRP. Does anyone ever complain about "that damn dealer knocking 12% off MSRP for a slow selling model and ruining our resale?" The word "SUGGESTED" has meaning.

The reason I'm okay with it (despite wishing I could have waltzed into a dealership and bought a 911R at MSRP), is that I don't think "first to call and get my name on a list" is a better method of allotting limited production than "showing how much I want it by paying more money for it." It is the capitalist free market at work, saying, basically, "Porsche made a pricing mistake -- Demand and supply have balanced out at $125,000 but Porsche only priced this at $105,000, so the dealers are stepping in and correcting that." Which means that if I want one, I have but to open my checkbook and I can buy one. I don't need to have wanted one 18 months ago and called my dealer and jockeyed for a position on some list. That sounds to me like calling shotgun as a 9 year old to determine who gets to ride up front.
This is perfectly stated in my opinion. It should be easy for prospective buyers to re-frame their perspective and just say the car is a $125K car, not a $105K car if they are trading for $125K.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

From the announcement of Porsche's 70th Anniversary info
"The sports car manufacturer from Zuffenhausen celebrates its 70th anniversary with a raft of activities. The first sports car to bear the Porsche name was registered on June 8, 1948 – the 356 “No.1” Roadster. It was on this day that the Porsche brand was born"

Seems like a good reason to reveal the 991 Speedster as a special edition commemorating the 70th Anniversary. Doubt they let the year pass without a special car for the anniversary, it obviously isnt the GT3 RS.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
This is perfectly stated in my opinion. It should be easy for prospective buyers to re-frame their perspective and just say the car is a $125K car, not a $105K car if they are trading for $125K.
Huh? Good luck getting depreciation form 125K when you trade in your car or if you sell it to private party.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have no problem with "market adjustments" etc. For the same reason I have no problem with dealers selling BELOW MSRP. Does anyone ever complain about "that damn dealer knocking 12% off MSRP for a slow selling model and ruining our resale?" The word "SUGGESTED" has meaning.

The reason I'm okay with it (despite wishing I could have waltzed into a dealership and bought a 911R at MSRP), is that I don't think "first to call and get my name on a list" is a better method of allotting limited production than "showing how much I want it by paying more money for it." It is the capitalist free market at work, saying, basically, "Porsche made a pricing mistake -- Demand and supply have balanced out at $125,000 but Porsche only priced this at $105,000, so the dealers are stepping in and correcting that." Which means that if I want one, I have but to open my checkbook and I can buy one. I don't need to have wanted one 18 months ago and called my dealer and jockeyed for a position on some list. That sounds to me like calling shotgun as a 9 year old to determine who gets to ride up front.
You must be working for the dealer.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 PM
VLJ
Pro

Originally Posted by Christmas50
Huh? Good luck getting depreciation form 125K when you trade in your car or if you sell it to private party.
If this is a concern for a potential buyer then I'd argue they are shopping a car they can't afford. The argument I'm making is that it's not a $105K car because you can't buy one for that price, it's a $125K car. If you can't afford $125K for a car then you need to be shopping for the $105K car.

MSRP is just a number the manufacturer says the dealer should mark on the car. Some cars sell poorly (you can buy a Chevrolet Aveo far below MSRP) and some cars sell faster than anyone can make them (GT2 RS sells far over MSRP). If you want all Porsches to be sold at MSRP then I guess that Chevy Aveo should jump in price up to MSRP.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
If this is a concern for a potential buyer then I'd argue they are shopping a car they can't afford. The argument I'm making is that it's not a $105K car because you can't buy one for that price, it's a $125K car. If you can't afford $125K for a car then you need to be shopping for the $105K car.

MSRP is just a number the manufacturer says the dealer should mark on the car. Some cars sell poorly (you can buy a Chevrolet Aveo far below MSRP) and some cars sell faster than anyone can make them (GT2 RS sells far over MSRP). If you want all Porsches to be sold at MSRP then I guess that Chevy Aveo should jump in price up to MSRP.
You do realize that others, in other markets, can buy that car for your quoted $105k. It seems like you've already been conditioned by your market in your area and seem to think that others have to follow.

Maybe your next car should be a Chevy Aveo.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Originally Posted by VLJ

Sorry to tell you this but you got this totally wrong. Is not if someone can afford it is how much they are willing to pay. Including my self. Suckers are born every day and dealers know that.
Nothing to do with you, just my opinion.

Last edited by Christmas50; 03-05-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:43 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
You do realize that others, in other markets, can buy that car for your quoted $105k. It seems like you've already been conditioned by your market in your area and seem to think that others have to follow.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:57 PM
VLJ
Pro

Originally Posted by ExMB

Maybe your next car should be a Chevy Aveo.
Your emotions are getting in the way of logic.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
My emotions are getting in the way of logic.
FIFY
Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 PM
VLJ
Pro

It's not an emotional topic for me.

Free market dictates prices and if sellers are charging an average of $xxxxx for an item then that's what that item is worth at that time. Doesn't matter what MSRP says.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 PM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
Your emotions are getting in the way of logic.
Originally Posted by VLJ
It's not an emotional topic for me.
Weren't you the one hoping for the 718 GT4 to be a 4-Cyl so that you would feel better about your own purchase? This is likely an emotional/personal topic for you in general.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:03 PM
VLJ
Pro

I think a lot of people shared the casual feeling of 'yeah, that'd be pretty cool if the new one is 4 cyl and we got to have a car that's a one year production run and that's it'. I'm not going to be losing sleep over it.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Originally Posted by 4nroots
Weren't you the one hoping for the 718 GT4 to be a 4-Cyl so that you would feel better about your own purchase? This is likely an emotional/personal topic for you in general.
+1. Now lets go back on topic before this escalates to shouting match LOL!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?