Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   718 GT4? (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/1033199-718-gt4.html)

Viperguy324 11-06-2017 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 14585323)
So you think they put GT4 brakes on a 718 test mule? Why would they do that? Those calipers and rotors are definitely not 718S/GTS, nor are the wheels or the aero. It's definitely a mule but everything points to it being a GT4 mule.

Again, why the badging and why the Euro 3 sticker? The front aero sure looks pretty subtle.

Archimedes 11-06-2017 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Viperguy324 (Post 14585340)
Again, why the badging and why the Euro 3 sticker? The front aero sure looks pretty subtle.

It's just a mule. The bumpers on a mule rarely make it to the actual car, so I wouldn't read anything into it.

What else would they be 'mule-ing' in the 718 line? You think they would go through the trouble of putting a GT4 wing, diffuser, wheels and brakes on a regular 718? For what purpose?

And what badging are you talking about? The only badging I see is the PORSCHE across that rear deck, which is almost certainly going to be on the GT4 and the Spyder.

ralphmusic 11-06-2017 04:24 PM

I think the only odd thing is the rear wing. If they are testing fit and operation of 4.0L engine and electronics then the body is largely irrelevant in the early stages.

Viperguy324 11-06-2017 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 14585371)
It's just a mule. The bumpers on a mule rarely make it to the actual car, so I wouldn't read anything into it.

What else would they be 'mule-ing' in the 718 line? You think they would go through the trouble of putting a GT4 wing, diffuser, wheels and brakes on a regular 718? For what purpose?

And what badging are you talking about? The only badging I see is the PORSCHE across that rear deck, which is almost certainly going to be on the GT4 and the Spyder.

Aero.. that's why.

Archimedes 11-06-2017 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Viperguy324 (Post 14585402)
Aero.. that's why.

Aero for what? The GT4? So they would change out the exhaust, and add GT4 brakes and wheels just to test aero, but then not change out the front splitter and hood? That makes no sense, as there is 100 percent chance that the front end on that car will not be on the GT4.

Also, if this was not a GT4 mule, why would Porsche ask the OP to take the picture down?

We can never be sure, but the preponderance of the evidence says that this is the GT4. Still doesn't tell us much of anything though.

vantage 11-06-2017 05:08 PM

Recall when we first starting seeing GT4 mules back in 2014, the car was very unfinished too. So the fact that they haven't started testing a more final front bumper yet doesn't mean anything. Hell, I heard Porsche even tested PDK for the 981 GT4, so things change.

https://www.vwvortex.com/wp-content/...an-GT4-960.jpg

PS: I suspect we will eventually call it the 982 GT4, since a 718 should have a 4-banger by Porsche tradition.

Viperguy324 11-06-2017 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 14585422)
Aero for what? The GT4? So they would change out the exhaust, and add GT4 brakes and wheels just to test aero, but then not change out the front splitter and hood? That makes no sense, as there is 100 percent chance that the front end on that car will not be on the GT4.

Also, if this was not a GT4 mule, why would Porsche ask the OP to take the picture down?

We can never be sure, but the preponderance of the evidence says that this is the GT4. Still doesn't tell us much of anything though.

I think they were just playing with 718 aero.. As for the brakes, no idea..

The pictures are all over the place... and so far the only one asked was this guy... who cares about that. Like I said car that are important do not sit in the open like this.

Anyways, a lot does not add up in this picture.. so I'm not going to the bank with it.

Viperguy324 11-06-2017 05:18 PM

Great picture... explains what looked like a Euro3 sticker.. I retract the diesel bit... made zero sense, but with those pictures it sure looked the same. The only take away is that it's still euro4 and not euro5.

Diablo Dude 11-06-2017 05:40 PM

If this is in fact a GT4 mule, when might this car debut?
Next March in Geneva?

Shockwave 11-06-2017 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude (Post 14585594)
If this is in fact a GT4 mule, when might this car debut?
Next March in Geneva?

That is typically when the big Porsche announcements take place. It would set it up for a Late 2019 Release for a 2020 Model.

Shockwave 11-06-2017 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Viperguy324 (Post 14585518)
I think they were just playing with 718 aero.. As for the brakes, no idea..

The pictures are all over the place... and so far the only one asked was this guy... who cares about that. Like I said car that are important do not sit in the open like this.

Anyways, a lot does not add up in this picture.. so I'm not going to the bank with it.

I posted these same pictures all over multiple Facebook groups. It might have been spread by me and I was quickly PM'd via Facebook regarding them.

switchface 11-06-2017 06:09 PM

...Like I said car that are important do not sit in the open like this...

In Stuttgart they do.

When I was doing the factory tour during my GT4 ED, we couldn't see the 'marrying' room because something was in there that had yet to be announced. I guessed that it was a GT3 variant with a manual and asked our guide to wink if I was right. He's German, so he only smiled, but did say that very often when the group walks outside from building to building, the same secretive car could be spotted outside if the timing was right.

It seems to me this is a test car of sorts for the next GT4. I still think the our best clues will come from the race teams as the street GT4 needs to be in line with the GS class GT4.

vantage 11-06-2017 06:21 PM

Alan, if you got the pictures from a public source, then I don't see how it is your problem. If however, someone sent you these pictures in confidence, then that's probably the situation I would pull them down.

Too late now of course.

Archimedes 11-06-2017 06:53 PM

I think they were just playing with 718 aero.

Again, what purpose would there be for testing a winged 718 other than the GT4? There are no other new 718 Cayman variants coming. Also, that exhaust doesn't appear on any of the 718s.

This is obviously a GT4 mule and it's not at all surprising that a pic was caught, particularly because it doesn't appear to be 'out in the open' so to speak. Given all the Porsches around it, I'm guessing it's a street at/right next to the factory.

d00d 11-06-2017 07:10 PM

I'll add my opinion that the 781 is ugly, chunnel air vents (can't unsee), corporate head and tail light design with tacky molded name in an unnecessary trim panel.
So if it's just another 3.8L 9A1 with X51 I'll gladly pass, but if it's a 4L MDG.G I'll have to reevaluate.