Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by flatt6
Top Gear Review... Seems the most honest of the bunch I have seen so far.

Bottom Line: better, more refined then the previous but lacking some of the quirks and charisma that made the 981 so special.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...to/first-drive
Not sure Agree with their own assessment based on their own comments. They said the car is 80 kg heavier when it’s actually only 35 kg heavier (not understanding the change in reporting). They say the new engine has more low end torque, particularly between 2500-3500, and they complained that they preferred the old engine’s torque curve’s with dips in this range and the top - really, are you kidding me? They said the new gear shift mechanism is more slick and precise, but they preferred the sloppier throws of the old GT4 - again, what?

The only arguably legitimate complaint is that they miss the artificial farting noises unique to the 991.1 Carrera S - the new motor farts and burps less, more like the GT3 motors. I think that’s a good thing, less unnecessary artificial non-performance enhancing fuel wasting noise, but I can accept they may prefer it.

Anyway, it seems as if they went into the review with a negative attitude, and made some bizarre conclusions. They went in thinking it’s 80 kg heavier (and themselves failed to feel their misunderstood fictitious major weight gain), and then found bizarre excuses to complain and conclude the old one might be better.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The auto start/stop feature requires the heavy starter.

I think 1.2” is the 30mm lowered stance compared to non-PASM 718. Same height as last GT4...
Right, my point was to not use that feature and run a smaller starter and battery. And yes, that’s the right height, if you look at a 718 spyder it has a shorter front splitter than the GT4 offering better approach angle. They seem like they would be interchangeable.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:39 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatt6
Top Gear Review... Seems the most honest of the bunch I have seen so far.

Bottom Line: better, more refined then the previous but lacking some of the quirks and charisma that made the 981 so special.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...to/first-drive
Not sure I agree with their own assessment based on their own comments. They said the car is 80 kg heavier when it’s actually only 35 kg heavier (not understanding the change in reporting). They say the new engine has more low end torque, particularly between 2500-3500, and they complained that they preferred the old engine’s torque curve’s with dips in this range and the top - really, are you kidding me? They said the new gear shift mechanism is more slick and precise, but they preferred the sloppier throws of the old GT4 - again, what? They say the new car handles better, less limit understeer, and has a smoother ride, but dismiss it at saying it makes the car too easy to drive - what again?

The only arguably legitimate complaint is that they miss the artificial farting noises unique to the 991.1 Carrera S - the new motor farts and burps less, more like the 997 era or 991 GT3 motors. I think that’s a good thing, less unnecessary artificial non-performance enhancing fuel wasting noise, but I can accept they may prefer it.

Anyway, it seems as if they went into the review with a negative attitude, and made some bizarre conclusions. They went in thinking it’s 80 kg heavier (and themselves failed to feel their misunderstood fictitious major weight gain), and then found bizarre excuses to complain and conclude the old one might be better.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:42 AM
Bausse9
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Not sure Agree with their own assessment based on their own comments. They said the car is 80 kg heavier when it’s actually only 35 kg heavier (not understanding the change in reporting). They say the new engine has more low end torque, particularly between 2500-3500, and they complained that they preferred the old engine’s torque curve’s with dips in this range and the top - really, are you kidding me? They said the new gear shift mechanism is more slick and precise, but they preferred the sloppier throws of the old GT4 - again, what?

The only arguably legitimate complaint is that they miss the artificial farting noises unique to the 991.1 Carrera S - the new motor farts and burps less, more like the GT3 motors. I think that’s a good thing, less unnecessary artificial non-performance enhancing fuel wasting noise, but I can accept they may prefer it.

They’re just not suckered into the Porsche marketing nonsense - like most of the other journalists.

Ironic how overly negative your review is of their overly negative review
Old 07-12-2019, 03:49 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bausse9
They’re just not suckered into the Porsche marketing nonsense - like most of the other journalists.

Ironic how overly negative your review is of their overly negative review
Spoken like a true 981 owner. The torque dips, less downforce, rougher ride, understeer, less precise shifter, farting noises, and oddly shaped very red taillights prove my 981 is better. As a 987 owner, I feel free to bash the holy 981 .
Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 AM
GP Racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Seems like a sweet car, as expected but maybe better than a sum of its parts (which were a bit of a let down).

ADMs abound in 3......2........1......

which will drag 981 prices up. Just sayin.

Anyways - we all win. The new GT4 looks like a winner and that doesn’t make the 981 GT4 any less of the same.
The 981 GT4 was always a great car. Incremental changes in all areas have resulted in the 718 GT4 being quite a lot better. Nobody was ever going to loose.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 AM
Bausse9
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Spoken like a true 981 owner. The torque dips, less downforce, rougher ride, understeer, less precise shifter, farting noises, and oddly shaped very red taillights prove my 981 is better. As a 987 owner, I feel free to bash the holy 981 .
Haha, love it

All the best cars in history have their quirks - when things get too polished it loses something, which I guess is where the Top Gear guys were going with their article.

Original is best .

I look forward to 981 GT4 values holding firm
Old 07-12-2019, 04:38 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bausse9
Haha, love it

All the best cars in history have their quirks - when things get too polished it loses something, which I guess is where the Top Gear guys were going with their article.

Original is best .

I look forward to 981 GT4 values holding firm
No doubt the 981 GT4 is a great car. I think the 982 GT4 (and Spyder that I want) are better by most measures, but I agree it might not be enough of a change to justify spending significantly more money for an existing 981 owner, and some may like the quirks of a 981.

I’ll be ordering a Spyder once my dealer has an allocation for me. I don’t already have a 981 (GT4 or Spyder, only my lowly 987 base). The slight (if any) price premium of a new 718 /982 Spyder or GT4 over a used 981 in Canada is well worth it give the upgrades for me. The new red top option and the ability to custom spec it are a plus too. In Canada, 981 Spyders are still selling around 10-15% above MSRP. This is mainly because of the US market - they’re underpriced compared to the US in Canada. 981 prices will probably drop a bit once new 982s become available in Canada, but allocations will probably remain limited. The 981 prices might not drop too much, as used Canadian 981s can be sold to the USA, but new ones cannot.

One dilemma I have is getting the manual or waiting for the PDK. The PDK will no doubt be faster, and Tesla owners may make fun of the manual car’s 0-100 km/h time. However, it should be more engaging, and I plan to keep the car a long time. It may well be the last mid engined Porsche ever, and I’m sure in the future there will be electric cars that handily outperform even the PDK GT4, so I’m leaning towards manual so the car can remain a unique relic in the future.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 AM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

My nomination for Best GT4 pic!

The following 2 users liked this post by AlpineR:
wizee (07-12-2019), works_team (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM
GP Racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpineR

Says it all really. Awesome car!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

That is great - need to find a way to make it an IPhone wallpaper now, hmmm...
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 908 Posts

Need more camber!!!!
Old 07-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Man, that's a lot of body roll through the corner....
Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Need more camber!!!!
That's just the car jumping off the curb, not really putting two wheels up in the air as it's cornering. The outside tires look almost completely unloaded too.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:16 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That's just the car jumping off the curb, not really putting two wheels up in the air as it's cornering. The outside tires look almost completely unloaded too.
I know...just a little bit of fun! But it will definitely need more camber for the use I have plan for the car...hope my 981 suspension parts can be swap with no fuzz over to the 718.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?