Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   718 GT4? (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/1033199-718-gt4.html)

BA73 04-21-2019 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gorro47 (Post 15787762)
Hello all

After reading about our member´s father loss, i spoke to my father and we went for a afternoon drive in his old amg. Something about cars and relation/bonds that will live forever.

Best regards.

nothing but love and support to everyone. called pops up and went on a different kind of drive today.
cherish this stuff boys.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3f9e55c477.jpg

blackholescion 04-21-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Petevb (Post 15787633)
Or they are in the embargo period? Magazines will get information before an official release so they can have their stories ready to go, but only in exchange for not releasing it early. Last year everyone knew a new GT4 was coming, but nothing was official. I wouldn’t be surprised if this year C&D knows, as in officially, which perversely means they can’t say anything.

The original embargo when the CS released coincided with Geneva. This was directly from CJ. Geneva came and went. Porsche had to have picked Geneva for a reason initially.

VLJ 04-21-2019 12:45 PM

Reading between the lines here do you guys think they planned to reveal the car at Geneva and had to make an engine change or something and that's why it's not happened?

Five12Free 04-21-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by VLJ (Post 15788905)
Reading between the lines here do you guys think they planned to reveal the car at Geneva and had to make an engine change or something and that's why it's not happened?

I think so. Add to that the CS being released many months ago now... some reason prevented them. There has also been pretty consistent testing this spring, which if they had planned to release at Geneva, would’ve been wrapping up. I think they weren’t getting the performance they were after with the GPF.

JCviggen 04-21-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by blackholescion (Post 15788797)
The original embargo when the CS released coincided with Geneva. This was directly from CJ. Geneva came and went. Porsche had to have picked Geneva for a reason initially.

The CS embargo was way, way before Geneva and only because the racing season was kicking off.

I never heard anything about any GT products at Geneva, I did hear that the Cayenne Coupe was supposed to be there but then it wasn't.

I think they just didn't have the production capacity to start building GT4s yet so it had to wait. Nothing more complicated than that.

GoKart Mozart 04-21-2019 01:31 PM

I'm sorry to bring up the turbos again, but I had a thought this morning. I'm curious about the new twin mufflers. I realize the CS has them with the same engine we have in our cars, which ought to make it a lot louder since they are smaller, but on a race car the noise is usually not an issue. That being said, with Porsche going from a big center muffler on the 981 GT4 to smaller twin mufflers ( I assume they are smaller because there isn't much space there) wouldn't that make another case for it possibly being a turbo engine, since turbos act like mufflers already and are quieter to begin with?

ExMB 04-21-2019 01:55 PM

GT4s don't have a big center muffler ala GT3

blackholescion 04-21-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by VLJ (Post 15788905)

Originally Posted by Five12Free (Post 15788944)
I think they weren’t getting the performance they were after with the GPF.

This is my thinking as well.

Originally Posted by JCviggen (Post 15788958)
The CS embargo was way, way before Geneva and only because the racing season was kicking off.

if I wasn’t clear, I apologize. The embargo that I referred to came directly from CJ when someone asked him if he knew about the street car. The embargo obviously was way before that for the CS since the CS was released much earlier. I can dig up the post but I’m on mobile so can’t be bothered. Ha.

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart (Post 15789020)
I'm sorry to bring up the turbos again, but I had a thought this morning. I'm curious about the new twin mufflers. I realize the CS has them with the same engine we have in our cars, which ought to make it a lot louder since they are smaller, but on a race car the noise is usually not an issue. That being said, with Porsche going from a big center muffler on the 981 GT4 to smaller twin mufflers ( I assume they are smaller because there isn't much space there) wouldn't that make another case for it possibly being a turbo engine, since turbos act like mufflers already and are quieter to begin with?

A video was posted a few pages back of the 991.2 Carrera vs 992 and what the GPF does to the noises.

tcsracing1 04-21-2019 03:51 PM

For what it is worth, the GT4 Clubsport production was behind schedule and I would think the GT4 street cars are also behind schedule therefore the delay on a launch venue.

for a .2 car, the anticipation is highest i have seen.

Riz 04-21-2019 04:59 PM

Does it even have to be released at an auto show or will it just pop up on the Porsche website one day?

gt3rs. 04-21-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 15789236)
For what it is worth, the GT4 Clubsport production was behind schedule and I would think the GT4 street cars are also behind schedule therefore the delay on a launch venue.

for a .2 car, the anticipation is highest i have seen.

I am not surprise because the first gen was the most bang for the buck porsche car ever !

Petevb 04-21-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 008 (Post 15787857)
would that mean that you also know something?? 😇

Sorry, I’m not writing these days- back to reading tea leaves like everyone else.

blackholescion 04-22-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Riz (Post 15789345)
Does it even have to be released at an auto show or will it just pop up on the Porsche website one day?

The 981 had a web launch (February) followed up by an auto show (Geneva).

Five12Free 04-22-2019 10:11 AM

Saw this in GT3 forum. Picture of the Speedster exhaust set up. No wonder the 718 GT4 sounds ****ty... those GPF are huge!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7a2367ff1.jpeg

blipit 04-22-2019 11:47 AM

I believe they were caught off guard with the GPF. It was more work than they anticipated developing new exhaust systems for their model range and getting them all approved by Sept 1 2018. They had to enforce a temporary ordering restriction, while phasing in the GPF.