Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose they cant call it a 718 if it has 6 cylinders
Old 11-05-2017, 11:36 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
The back end of car in photo definitely looks 718, neutered, & very lame. Front aero nothing special for improvements. If a 4.0L NA in car, that will be the highlight. I'm keeping my GT4 b/c it already is something special.

When the overwhelming majority of auto journalists have raved about 981 GT4 along with Evo car of the year 2015, & people continue to refer to GT4 as parts bin GT car , they should watch this PCA video done by someone who knows a thing or two about P cars. S. Merali quote
"proper GT car"

I put parts bin quotes because that’s what has been said before and I know it’s not entirely true. But the truth is for the GT4 to happen some R&D and parts are reused wherever possible.

Now I forgot about the GT4 club sport folks talking about a 4.0. That is a good point so maybe it could be.

Or how about this scenario. GT4 is a base carrera engine tuned between the C2 and C2S spec. Makes logical sense.

Maybe the rumored GT4RS will be the homologation car with the detuned 4.0??

I loved my GT4 fwiw. I’m hoping the next one is the 4.0 GT3 engine.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

The GT4 is a pretty cohesive package and driving experience. As I get more used to driving it, it has only gotten more interesting and I look forward to much more time on track.

I don't care if many of the parts were first installed on other cars because it's a great bin to pick from. We have the front suspension, front and rear brakes, and steering (although revised) from the $130+k (at the time) GT3. Then we have an engine from the $100k 991.1 S (although detuned). And the list was 85k.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:46 AM
Captain racing
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a GTS with a wing. I don't see any aggressive aero on this car.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:44 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know it’s been said it wouldn’t fit, but the Carrera engine would work from a marketing / placement point of view. Did last time...
Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
I’ve got confirmation that this is the real deal and a test mule. GT4 wing, brakes, wheels and diffuser is not just a standard 718 with a bunch of “parts” on it. Lol

Yeah, a real deal test mule. But not a true GT4 chassis. They could not even been bothered to remove the rear logo.

Originally Posted by BryanCO
I’m slow, please explain.

And... the HUGE give away, the emissions stickers!!!!! lol

A 981 GT4 is class 4 (green) ..I know because I had one for the cities.

Once I saw the yellow it was clear that this was nothing more than a 718 test mule.

Because Yellow can only mean one of two things.. Either they tossed in a very old pre-2004 996 motor ... (which would only allow a yellow sticker)

Or

They tested a diesel motor in it. Which gives the normal 2 sticker yellow and green condition. Green gets added if the engine is then fitted with a particle filter.

So, unless they plan on selling a GT4 diesel, which I think we can all agree is not the case.

It is simply a standard 718 test mule. the wing was probably just added for aero testing. This means nothing for the GT4.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 AM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I know it’s been said it wouldn’t fit, but the Carrera engine would work from a marketing / placement point of view. Did last time...
If you are talking about using the old 3.8 again. That worked 2 years ago was because the 3.8L engine was still current then.

It doesn't sound good at all when you have a new GT car using an expired Carrera engine.

If you are talking about the new 3.0 twin turbo, a de-tuned version of the 4.0L of the GT3 which itself is closely resembled to the 911 RSR racing engine looks much better from a marketing standpoint.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:10 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Yeah, a real deal test mule. But not a true GT4 chassis. They could not even been bothered to remove the rear logo.

Once I saw the yellow it was clear that this was nothing more than a 718 test mule.

Because Yellow can only mean one of two things.. Either they tossed in a very old pre-2004 996 motor ... (which would only allow a yellow sticker)

Or

They tested a diesel motor in it. Which gives the normal 2 sticker yellow and green condition. Green gets added if the engine is then fitted with a particle filter.

So, unless they plan on selling a GT4 diesel, which I think we can all agree is not the case.

It is simply a standard 718 test mule. the wing was probably just added for aero testing. This means nothing for the GT4.
seems i'm even slower, so does a yellow sticker also signify a turbo petrol engine
Old 11-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Originally Posted by O5C4R
seems i'm even slower, so does a yellow sticker also signify a turbo petrol engine

No. Unless it was two decades old.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
If you are talking about using the old 3.8 again. That worked 2 years ago was because the 3.8L engine was still current then.

It doesn't sound good at all when you have a new GT car using an expired Carrera engine.

If you are talking about the new 3.0 twin turbo, a de-tuned version of the 4.0L of the GT3 which itself is closely resembled to the 911 RSR racing engine looks much better from a marketing standpoint.
I meant the latter. And yes a 4.0 is better for the marketing of the car itself, but maybe not so good for the rest of the 718, or even the 911, range.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:06 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder Man

He said he knew it wouldn't fit, hence he meant the 3L TT from the 991.2 Carerra

the 3.8L NA should fit as it did in the 981, but as you said they don't manufacture that engine for any current cars, so that won't be the case, IMO
Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324

Or

Its not just the wing though... there are a few clues here that have GT4 DNA in it. Nothing on the GT4 body other than the bumpers, diffuser, brakes, wheels and wing that differentiates it from a standard 981 either... atleast from the outside.

Its all speculation however but considering the response i got from Porsche employees that its leading me to believe that this very well is the next generation GT4.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Viperguy- What sticker does the 991.2 GT3 get (4.0L) ?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Its not just the wing though... there are a few clues here that have GT4 DNA in it. Nothing on the GT4 body other than the bumpers, diffuser, brakes, wheels and wing that differentiates it from a standard 981 either... atleast from the outside.

Its all speculation however but considering the response i got from Porsche employees that its leading me to believe that this very well is the next generation GT4.

All I see is a CS wing on a 718 with GT4 wheels. Nothing more. The stickers say multiple motors or diesel. And the standard badging says stock chassis.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Originally Posted by Buteo
Viperguy- What sticker does the 991.2 GT3 get (4.0L) ?

All modern petrol cars are Euro4/5

I think all GT cars are now Euro5 (Blue)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?