Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

some teams ran the pants off the clubsports for the Roar........
Thats fantastic !!!

Well done and congrats to everyone that was involved.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

some teams ran the pants off the clubsports for the Roar........
I saw Nolaport this past weekend at Sebring. The CS is on point. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
Not GT4 specific, but anyone has the basic air-conditioning? I want to go as light as possible with extra's.
I will dissent from other opinions...

I have the basic climate control system in my GT4. I have the automatic climate control in our 981 Spyder and GT3. If I had it to do over again, I would get the auto climate control in the GT4. It's nice to leave the temp at one setting and have the car manage the fan and temp output. The system works great in the Spyder and GT3.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:40 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the auto climate as well and it's kind of worth it because of my wife. It's surprising how effective the dang thing is. She was even complaining how she couldn't put her makeup in the Spyder cause I didn't get the light design package
Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

All this talk of dual zone temp control for the wives and passenger visor mirrors for make up application and you seem to be forgetting another important option, driver side activated passenger ejection seat!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
I have a 987 Boxster S and a 718 CGTS both without climate control. It works fine but certainly not as nice as climate control in my opinion. I didn't really care about zones but a set it and forget it temp would be nice sometimes. I do find myself, turning it on, turning it off, turning it on...sometimes because it doesn't automatically adjust. In some ways, it's like the stereo upgrade. I think you can live with the base stereo but the upgrade is nice. Just a matter of how you want to spend your money.

My 718 CGTS is 90% AutoX and HPDE car. I don't really have a need for a daily driver or even a weekend car. I still spent on full leather and LED lights, and Bose but passed on power seats and climate control. We each have our own idiosyncrasies in what we want in our cars. I ordered it ad wasn't particularly budget constrained but there were somethings I was willing to pay for and somethings I wasn't.

So I wouldn't say the climate control is a waste of money but it just wasn't a priority for me. YMMV.
I have found the fast working system (heats after 1 mile from cold start!) in the 968 needs some adjusting afterwards, while in the 981 I just set the temp and forget about it. But it's not bothersome.

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
With my wife it is necessary, she wants to have heat and at least I can keep my area cool - saves fighting = priceless
I have to admit sometimes that my wife says she's feeling cold in the 981, then I bump her side 2°C while reducing mine the same amount. It does work. Nonetheless, less is more.

Wifey wants standard and heated leather seats, no alcantara anywhere if possible. It's what took her to indulge my craving for the 718 GT4, so I am happily agreeing with her terms...
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Wifey wants standard and heated leather seats, no alcantara anywhere if possible. It's what took her to indulge my craving for the 718 GT4, so I am happily agreeing with her terms...
I need to find me a wife that will buy me cars...

Leather seats... no Alcantara... She is buying you the car right?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte
Goes in line with the general forum consensus with the exception of a few people such as @Lordlucan.,
Shouldn't be too long now.
In his defense, he did say there's a chance the road version will have a different engine, but even a broken clock is right twice a day
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324

Yes she is, with “her” half of his money. Yours is too, except she probably cares little about what you choose for the cars that she buys you. Many have tried to prove otherwise, with sad results.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324

No, I am
After 35 years, I am rather accustomed to her, you see.
I hired a 981 GT4 for 24 hours and she was knackered because of those buckets...
Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 AM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I am
After 35 years, I am rather accustomed to her, you see.
I hired a 981 GT4 for 24 hours and she was knackered because of those buckets...
I dont know but I would never spec a GT car with all sorts of comfort features to please the wife. To me these enthusiast oriented Porsches are supposed to be raw and uncomfortable. But then again I am also not married so maybe my opinion is biased
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ha! My wife WON'T set foot in the GT4. In fact, she's ridden in it once: on my birthday in 2017 she didn't get me a gift (my choice -- I don't want any more stuff) but was going to take me out to dinner. So I asked her to ride there in the GT4 and she agreed, "as an act of love sacrifice." I told her I was going to get my money's worth out of it and turned on the loud button and the rev matcher and even the shock absorbers (which I never use) just to make her enjoy it all the more!
Mine is like this too. She was talking about how she will avoid the car if I get the carbon buckets. Oh well, I guess on my birthday we will maximum attack all the way to dinner. 5 hours away. In the mountains.

Originally Posted by BioBanker
All this talk of dual zone temp control for the wives and passenger visor mirrors for make up application and you seem to be forgetting another important option, driver side activated passenger ejection seat!
Ejecto seato cuz!
​​​​
Originally Posted by toppestofkeks
I dont know but I would never spec a GT car with all sorts of comfort features to please the wife. To me these enthusiast oriented Porsches are supposed to be raw and uncomfortable. But then again I am also not married so maybe my opinion is biased
Eh. Some people just genuinely like automatic climate control and all that stuff. Buy the car that suits you.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by toppestofkeks
Agree totally. I tried, honest I did, with the 991 GTS, pictured to the left. Ordered it with heated/cooled seats, red/black leather, nice stereo, 18-ways, and of course it had all the performance and sound buttons that could be turned off, as well as PDK (my first). So my reasoning went like this: I really want a GT car for me, but because she doesn't like riding in my 997 Turbo and I don't like having to take her Grand Cherokee every single time we go out together, I'll get a wonderful "compromise car." I could leave the performance and sound buttons off, put the PDK in automatic and putter around like I was in a Toyo Avalon when we were together, then push Sport+ and PSE and Manual and rip around like Gilles Villeneuve when I was by myself, in the mountains, or at the track.

Alas, it didn't matter. I disliked driving it with all the goodies turned off (boring) and she still didn't like riding in it because it's low and loud and when I would punch it just a little on an onramp it would open the PSE and roar and I'd get a look. So everybody loses, right? Who needs that?

Granted, that's MY wife. She is outstandingly wonderful in most ways, and works her *** off and makes lots of money and the whole bit, she just doesn't like sportscars. So :shrug: I sold the Carrera and got what I really wanted by that time anyway, a GT4. But if she liked riding in it, and all it took to make her enjoy it more was better (from her perspective) seats, climate and stereo I'd do that.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:09 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

With the wife thing I see it like this: It's good to have a "you only" hobby. Everyone needs solo time periodically. I used to try to get my wife into autox and driving. It's just not her thing.

As for the 718, I'm considering the following best bang for buck build:

Color - One of the free ones - white likely
Options - Extended Fuel Tank, Buckets, Free options like smoking pkg, luggage net, dash trim matched to exterior paint. Leather steering wheel and shifter.

Or maybe a fancier build:

Color - Chalk or Lizard Green if offered. I don't think I can stomach the price for pts.
Options - <same as above> PCCB, Sport chrono, radio upgrade, dimming mirrors, premium headlight config, aluminum pedals, extended leather and fancy stitching

I'm pretty sure in both cases I would do manual. I'm intrigued by PDK if offered but I feel like I might regret it.

I track my car and I've owned both a GT4 with 18 way and one with carbon buckets. Also with steel and pccb.

Buckets - love them in general but are less comfy for longer drives and are silly to get in and out of

18 way - slide around a bit more on track but overall better. I can adjust the tilt and other settings at will which is nice. Also bonus is stated compatibility with boosters and child safety seats so I could buzz the 5 yo around town. (Fwiw I read the child seat thread on buckets - it seems like they work but maybe not officially supported)

I might do a super discount build with the base seat. Had a loaner boxster 718 with them and loved them.

Lots of choices. Most of them will depend on the base msrp and how much current gt4 values take a hit.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Y'all worrying about what the wife thinks have it wrong. Get your wife to drive the cars especially on the track, if you can. She'll then love your cars. My wife drives all of "our" toys on the street going back to our first Porsche, a 964 US Cup Car. She's been in a few green groups on track over the years, too. She doesn't give a hoot about manual vs auto climate control but since she likes the cars I like to make it as easy an experience as possible, so auto climate control for me (although I forgot to spec it in my GT4).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 GT4?