Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:57 PM
LordLucan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GP Racing
Well well. There you go.
Originally Posted by LordLucan

You mean it’s not as insightful as your “accurate” prediction at #4673 about the CS?
......... where just a few days before the CS launch, you stated that a 4.0L was “the most logical deduction from the sound of all the test miules (sic) (Road car and CS)”
Old 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that?
he wants the internet to believe that he has the most reliable information pipeline into Porsche.................................
Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

......... where just a few days before the CS launch, you stated that a 4.0L was “the most logical deduction from the sound of all the test miules (sic) (Road car and CS)”
Indeed. Apologies. Strike CS. I was incorrect. Happy to admit my error in race car intel, I can live with that.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4 981
Quite the response... i don’t think you know the posted enough to say something as low as that.

I vote 981 gt4 I’m biased.
I don't think they intentionally meant any malice with their response. If they did, their loss. I'm definitely not bored and have actually signed up for a 2 day PSDS in March to improve my skills, which are obviously the limiting factor. As to the rumored hole in my life, well, umm, really only I can determine that. As to "horsepower being the last thing I need" - sure, from a skills perspective, absolutely. From a fun perspective, though, I respectfully disagree.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
What Yellow Submarine said!

The GT4 is a lot less street friendly than the GTS. So if you love your GTS, you probably should stay put and just add power or change the gearing. I've driven my friends 981S several times on and off the track and it is a fine car, but a lot more civil than the GT4. FWIW, the LWB's are the biggest difference, but all the stuff Yellow Submarine pointed out are a factor also. I could drive a 981s or GTS on a daily basis, minus the practicality, but that is not why I got a Cayman. I bought one because it serves a different purpose. It's my track toy and "just for joy vehicle", and for that the GT4 is perfect. I would not enjoy it on a daily basis.
As always, it is about compromises. I used to have one car that served a multi purpose, which M3's are great for, but if you want the best of both worlds, then you need two cars, one for DD and one for fun/track. Otherwise, pick your poison.
Fortunately the Cayman is not my daily driver - it's my fun car, and that's why I'm thinking about something like the GT4. I can definitely spec out a GT4 that will have very similar creature comforts to the GTS, but will have that little bit more oomph than the GTS.

Originally Posted by mithiral67
I have a 15 gts with 50,000 miles. Bought it a few weeks before they announced the gt4 pricing and have been kicking myself ever since as I expected it to be at least $20-30k more than my car, not $8k (doubtful i would have gotten one, but you know).

I love my gts, been great on the track and a sublime daily driver, but its a pdk and I really want to get back into a manual. I have driven the 981 gt4 and based on the cost hit I would take to upgrade even now for 90% of the same experience, it simply wasnt worth the costs to me when the next one is around the corner. I have a deposit down for the new GT4. That said, if my car was a manual though, I probably would keep the gts and upgrade now that the warranty is up. Then again, I have been buying new sports cars every 2-3 years from age 23 to now at 39 because, while loving my current car, I always looked forward to the next better car.

But having finally bought a new porsche (4.5 years ago), there really isnt anything better for the price than the 981 cayman. Yes, you can move up the Porsche line but the incremental improvement is never near the cost increase.

I say, stay on the list and see if you can get your dealerships last confirmed spot, maybe push out when you might buy to max the value of your car and have the most info if/when you order the new one.

Best of luck.
Agreed on the difference between the 981 GTS and 981 GT4 - the cost to me of switching from a GTS to a GT4 at this stage isn't worth it to me, but the cost of switching to a 718 GT4 may be, depending on the car.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by gt9729b
...or everyone is sandbagging. ...again. Curious as to how the race will go. Should be fun!
Could be although the fastest times were a consistent 2 seconds faster than last year. In fact last years fastest time wouldn't have made the top 35😀

Very encouraging irrespective of BOP. Looks like Porsche did a good job with the 3.8, aero etc.

For the street car I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche reached for a 4l short block - simply because it's a production block - the internals and heads are a different matter.

From my perspective it doesn't really matter if it's a 3.8 or 4.0 - it's the overall performance of an integrated package that matters - at least to me.

Last edited by groundhog; 01-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Not a 4.0L.
Also interested as to why you would say this?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a turbo 4 cylinder is unlikely. Can't be certain about that though.
Sorry, don't agree that the Club Sport is necessarily NA. Certainly not the case that "There cannot be doubt regarding that" as you say above. And neither is it true that the Club Sport has to have the same engine as the road car. It is more likely than not that it will have the same engine, but it doesn't have to have the same engine at all.
Still betting on 3.0 turbo
All of which leaves Porsche with the ability to launch a 718 GT4 Club Sport race car in January with a 3.8 litre normally aspirated engine, then launch a 718 GT4 road car some months afterwards (the order of events is unusual in itself) with (say) a 3.0 litre turbo!
I think it looks great. Sound - not so sure, especially the road car mules which sound really flat (and turbo charged). And no, not all of those recordings have been "just a phone recording from far way".
The odds on the 718 GT4 road car being a turbo F6 have just shot up!
Not a 4.0L.
Those are all of @LordLucan's posts regarding speculation on the 718 GT4 street car's engine.

@LordLucan : It seems like most of what you're saying is speculative. It seems to be based on what you think you've heard on the videos and what you think is right according to your train of thought.

Your last post seems to be the most assertive where it would appear that you seem to know for a fact that the engine will not be a 4.0L NA. This seems to go against what a lot of people have said, some of whom have been directly involved with the development of the race car.

Can you tell us if you're speculating based on what little information we all have available to us or if it's something else. We're all interested to know what engine you think will power the streetcar.

We can all come back to that post once the official announcement is made and see what's what.

Last edited by Gatte; 01-10-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gatte
Those are all of @LordLucan's posts regarding speculation on the 718 GT4 street car's engine.

@LordLucan : It seems like most of what you're saying is speculative. It seems to be based on what you think you've heard on the videos and what you think is right according to your train of thought.

Your last post seems to be the most assertive where it would appear that you seem to know for a fact that the engine will not be a 4.0L NA. This seems to go against what a lot of people have said, some of whom have been directly involved with the development of the race car.

Can you tell us if you're speculating based on what little information we all have available to us or if it's something else. We're all interested to know what engine you think will power the streetcar.

We can all come back to that post once the official announcement is made and see what's what.
Well said. Well LordLucan your assertion of 3.0 liter turbos for the club sport also seem well short of the mark. As enthusiasts we are all "interested" in what you think (or not think, or troll) about the engine in the soon to be released road car. Why not a 4.0L? Tell us your thoughts and inside information? Don't feel like you are "getting backed into a corner" with no intelligent thing to say. Speak freely.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

Could be although the fastest times were a consistent 2 seconds faster than last year. In fact last years fastest time wouldn't have made the top 35😀

Very encouraging irrespective of BOP. Looks like Porsche did a good job with the 3.8, aero etc.

For the street car I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche reached for a 4l short block - simply because it's a production block - the internals and heads are a different matter.

From my perspective it doesn't really matter if it's a 3.8 or 4.0 - it's the overall performance of an integrated package that matters - at least to me.
You have to keep in mind when comparing this data( lack of a better word ) to past GT4 events at Daytona, the cars were running a Continental tire so this is not an apples to apples comparison. Our #28 car set the track record last year in the GT4 / GS class with a 1:55.1 If this car was on a Michelin tire last year, the lap times would have been significantly lower as seen this year.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Ok - are you saying the improvements plus additional HP have made no difference?

If this is the case your logs will show that longitudinal and lateral gs are significantly higher for this years CS relative to last years due to the change in tires. 😀

It would be great if you could do a plot of this years and last years friction circles for DIR 😀👍
Old 01-11-2019, 03:28 AM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
You're just bored. You have a hole in your life and you think more horsepower or winged lava orange is going to fill it. It won't.

You already have the perfect car for your needs. Learn to be as fast in it as possible. Get to Black run group and stay there for a season with this car. On your way to the limit you'll realize that horsepower is the last thing you need..
This rational breakdown of the situation is painful because it's true for many of us!
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Ok - are you saying the improvements plus additional HP have made no difference?

If this is the case your logs will show that longitudinal and lateral gs are significantly higher for this years CS relative to last years due to the change in tires. 😀

It would be great if you could do a plot of this years and last years friction circles for DIR 😀👍
[QUOTE=groundhog;15557613]

Im not saying the new cars additional power and aero have made no difference, however I am stating that the tire is certainly a big cause of the improvement to lap times.

As i said above, the tire has a lot to do with the improvement of lap time but there are other details to the whole picture.
Once we prep all the cars for our next event and get through the race weekend at Daytona I will be happy to allocate the time to make you a pretty graph, that's not a problem. Cheers mate
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

All the HP, aero and handling in the world is useless if you can't exploit it because of a crappy tire.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I know....it's a bit frustrating to be shown something and later everything is changed. I guess we will all have to wait till Geneva....
After over 5,000 posts, we are literally back at where we were nearly a year ago.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?