718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 PM
ShinAsurada
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Everyone was asking!
Sorry for asking if it is obvious but is it a plastic version of the X51 intake manifold and a larger TB?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by bk_911
Values yeah blah blah - What engine is in the 718 GT4 street car?
Ah. yes getting back to what the forum was all about. Lols from the distractions though.

The road car shares the capacity of the 991.2 GT3 but is not a GT3 motor, with manual and PDK options.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinAsurada
Sorry for asking if it is obvious but is it a plastic version of the X51 intake manifold and a larger TB?
Looks more like a plastic version of an IPD to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 190 Posts

Hmm, so here's an idle question for everyone, and it's actually somewhat related to the 718 GT4...

I've got a 2016 Cayman GTS with about 12,000 miles on it. Warranty will be done in February - i.e., next month. I've been drooling after a 718 GT4 ever since I heard they were going to make one, because I'd really like more power and the various other performance-enhancing goodies that come with it. However, I love my GTS.

So, given the high probability that there will be ADM over and above the MSRP, and that I've no guarantee of getting an allocation (although my dealer tells me I'm on the "list"), do I:
  1. Get a 718 GT4 and eat both the depreciation on my GTS as well as the combination of the inevitable price increase of the GT4 plus the ADM.
  2. Keep the GTS, but do some upgrades - like the @BGB Motorsports 3.8L X51 conversion, possibly some kind of brake upgrade.
  3. Look for a good 981 GT4, but I'm not convinced that it's really worth it for me to go from GTS --> GT4
  4. Keep the GTS as is, and go spend my money on something more sensible
Fire away with your thoughts!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:06 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a Neon SRT4
Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Hmm, so here's an idle question for everyone, and it's actually somewhat related to the 718 GT4...

I've got a 2016 Cayman GTS with about 12,000 miles on it. Warranty will be done in February - i.e., next month. I've been drooling after a 718 GT4 ever since I heard they were going to make one, because I'd really like more power and the various other performance-enhancing goodies that come with it. However, I love my GTS.

So, given the high probability that there will be ADM over and above the MSRP, and that I've no guarantee of getting an allocation (although my dealer tells me I'm on the "list"), do I:
  1. Get a 718 GT4 and eat both the depreciation on my GTS as well as the combination of the inevitable price increase of the GT4 plus the ADM.
  2. Keep the GTS, but do some upgrades - like the @BGB Motorsports 3.8L X51 conversion, possibly some kind of brake upgrade.
  3. Look for a good 981 GT4, but I'm not convinced that it's really worth it for me to go from GTS --> GT4
5. BGB 4.0 X51
Old 01-09-2019, 07:43 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Deman 4.25 liter upgrade...on a GT4!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Smile

Mmmmm interesting dilemma. Very familiar situation. The GTS is a special car that will viewed as that for some time to come by Porsche enthusiasts.
If you plan to do track days as well get the 718 GT4 (1). This is an upgrade in every possible way. Its built to do the job.
If not keep the GTS it is a very special car.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:08 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinAsurada
It's essentially a 991 GT3 intake manifold and throttle body revised for 981 fitment on a Cayman/Boxster!

I know what my vote would be!

Originally Posted by JAhmed
5. BGB 4.0 X51
Yes!! Or even bigger displacement X51!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:12 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by GP Racing
Mmmmm interesting dilemma. Very familiar situation. The GTS is a special car that will viewed as that for some time to come by Porsche enthusiasts.
If you plan to do track days as well get the 718 GT4 (1). This is an upgrade in every possible way. Its built to do the job.
If not keep the GTS it is a very special car.
So I've been doing both autocross and track days with the car - it's amazingly good at both, and I love the car. It's spec'd perfectly for me in terms of creature comforts and pretty much everything else - GTS interior package, 18 way power seats, alcantara pretty much everywhere, manual transmission and X73 sports suspension make for a super fun ride. The X73 suspension on the track seems very nailed down to my (admittedly just past beginner) skills - blue run group. The one area I feel I'd *like* more is in the power department. I haven't (yet) hit any limitations with braking or suspension, but I've been running at the limit of street tires, so I need to change to semi-slicks for track days.

Thing is, all of this is discretionary "fun" stuff - there's no compelling *need* for me to change other than a little bit of new toy envy if I'm honest with myself, and a desire to have more power, which almost certainly isn't necessary. And then of course I'd want to have a lava orange version with a nice obnoxious rear wing. But I can quite happily live with my Carrara White color, or I could get it wrapped if I really wanted.

I've actually no idea how much a BGB 4.0L X51 upgrade would cost, I've no real clue what I'd get for my car, and of course we don't yet know the price of the 718 GT4, so I can't really assess the financial implications of the choices, but this thread made me start thinking about those options as an alternative to a 718 GT4 and whether it really made sense or not.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:58 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTEOriginally Posted by enzotcat

2. Keep the GTS, but do some upgrades - like the BGB Motorsports 3.8L X51 conversion, possibly some kind of brake upgrade.
Fire away with your thoughts![/QUOTE]

I had similar issues with my GT4, I went option #4 and bought a clean 1974 targa for the price of what the upgrade to the 718 GT4 would be and have been loving it!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

So I've been doing both autocross and track days with the car - it's amazingly good at both, and I love the car. It's spec'd perfectly for me in terms of creature comforts and pretty much everything else - GTS interior package, 18 way power seats, alcantara pretty much everywhere, manual transmission and X73 sports suspension make for a super fun ride. The X73 suspension on the track seems very nailed down to my (admittedly just past beginner) skills - blue run group. The one area I feel I'd *like* more is in the power department. I haven't (yet) hit any limitations with braking or suspension, but I've been running at the limit of street tires, so I need to change to semi-slicks for track days.

Thing is, all of this is discretionary "fun" stuff - there's no compelling *need* for me to change other than a little bit of new toy envy if I'm honest with myself, and a desire to have more power, which almost certainly isn't necessary. And then of course I'd want to have a lava orange version with a nice obnoxious rear wing. But I can quite happily live with my Carrara White color, or I could get it wrapped if I really wanted.

I've actually no idea how much a BGB 4.0L X51 upgrade would cost, I've no real clue what I'd get for my car, and of course we don't yet know the price of the 718 GT4, so I can't really assess the financial implications of the choices, but this thread made me start thinking about those options as an alternative to a 718 GT4 and whether it really made sense or not.
You're just bored. You have a hole in your life and you think more horsepower or winged lava orange is going to fill it. It won't.

You already have the perfect car for your needs. Learn to be as fast in it as possible. Get to Black run group and stay there for a season with this car. On your way to the limit you'll realize that horsepower is the last thing you need..
Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 PM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

Quite the response... i don’t think you know the posted enough to say something as low as that.

I vote 981 gt4 I’m biased.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Everyone was asking!

It fits..it fits....we 'll make it fit!!!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
You're just bored. You have a hole in your life and you think more horsepower or winged lava orange is going to fill it. It won't.

You already have the perfect car for your needs. Learn to be as fast in it as possible. Get to Black run group and stay there for a season with this car. On your way to the limit you'll realize that horsepower is the last thing you need..
Couldnt agree more. Suspension, brakes and tires....more to be gained there than power mods. Look at the times of the GTB1/b2/b3 cars, B1 being the old 987.2s. A set of good tires will do more for you than almost anything.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?