Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 PM
matthewlesko
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I have no idea what you are writing an "essay" about.

No one that I know of ever bought this car (GT4) because they thought it would be a "collectible".
They bought it to drive on the road . . . and at the track, at much lower expense than what it costs to maintain a GT3.

As for "historical" importance... I never thought that my air-cooled 964 would ever be worth anything given that it was practically a "lemon".
63,000 vehicles later...… we are now watching people pay more for them used, than what they cost new 28 years ago.

Perhaps the same thing will happen years from now for the GT4 when everything Porsche makes is PDK, looks like it was designed for the Asian market in mind, and is turbo or electric.
NA motors are a dying breed.

But do I see anyone on Rennlist "crying and whining" about GT4's having depreciated like just about any other sports car?
No, I don't.
Hey man, your use of quotes is insanely confusing. Anyway, NA motors are a dying breed and will be extinct before we know it. CAFE standards and whatnot. Soon almost everything will be PDK or equivalent. And after that it's just a matter of time til no one drives themselves any more and the only driving humans do is on a track. And after that people just stop giving a crap about cars. Car ownership might not exist. Just a fleet owned by Ford or GM, driving around constantly, 24/7. Hop on, hop off. Those companies are preparing for it.

I don't think anyone is doing too much whining about it either.

Re: your 964. Air cooled cars are historically significant.

And yes, some people definitely bought these as collectibles. It's why there are cars like the GT4 at Sloan w/ 115 miles on it. Parts of it prob still wrapped in plastic.

Originally Posted by Gatte
+1

I personally do not worry too much about appreciation/depreciation but definitely do think that a few years from now, a NA car with a manual transmission will be extremely rare.
However, looking at how folks I work with rave about Teslas and how pretty much every intern we get wants to get a Tesla in the future, I seriously think about whether or not these will be in demand a few years from now.

I do sometimes worry about what cars I can buy new in 10-15 years time.
Millennials (broadly speaking) don't even want to own cars. Probably the way of the future tbh. Kind of a bummer. I guess this is what happens when you take bullying out of schools.

The NA manuals will be rare, no doubt. I do wonder like you do about where the demand will be. That sorta stuff has been pretty devastating to Harley-Davidson. I also wonder who will want Duesenbergs, Packards, etc.

In 15 years, you will be cruising around in an Amazon Primemobile my fellow Primecitizen.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 PM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

those that either don’t own a GT4 or can’t really afford it are the ones who care about values
Depending on the definition of ‘able to afford’, I probably can’t really afford it. But, it’s so good that I bought it anyway

Last edited by greggmorton; 01-08-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:29 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I absolutely KNOW I can't afford one. It makes no financial sense whatsoever. But I'm doing it anyway. Because Porsche.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
or want a touring

Watch me

I am no boy-racer who gets a hard one from rear wings on cars. Not interested in racetracks, I just want a sensational car for the road.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
More spy shots...14. More 4.0 rumour.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/spie...urce=instagram
Old photos from winter 2017/18.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
Watch me

I am no boy-racer who gets a hard one from rear wings on cars. Not interested in racetracks, I just want a sensational car for the road.
+ 1 billion !!!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:48 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

My deposit has left my account!

Wing or no wing, my GT4 should be delivered around Christmas as my dealer tells me they get 7 cars with build slots in sept (1) okt (1) nov (5) and delivery the next month. There will be a lot more than 7 of course, but for now that's what they get and one is for me!

Now excuse me while I work my but off till the end of the year!
Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
My deposit has left my account!

Wing or no wing, my GT4 should be delivered around Christmas as my dealer tells me they get 7 cars with build slots in sept (1) okt (1) nov (5) and delivery the next month. There will be a lot more than 7 of course, but for now that's what they get and one is for me!

Now excuse me while I work my but off till the end of the year!

Hmmm...your dealer already have allocation for the 718 GT4?
Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Hmmm...your dealer already have allocation for the 718 GT4?
Quite a few dealers take a refundable ~2K deposit to be followed by a larger deposit when they have a lock on availability - depends where you live. The initial deposit is in effect registration of serious interest but no guarantee of an allocation. In my experience the dealers know who's who in the zoo.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:54 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Quite a few dealers take a refundable ~2K deposit to be followed by a larger deposit when they have a lock on availability - depends where you live. The initial deposit is in effect registration of serious interest but no guarantee of an allocation. In my experience the dealers know who's who in the zoo.
I doubt any dealer, anywhere has real allocations frpm PAG for the 718 GT4....PAG usually give those after the launch of the car....dealers will say anything just to get your $$$$ up front which is OK if they stick to the deal and they actually deliver.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Yes, its payment to reserve a place on a list - most have been on for several years already and they'll get the allocations when they are released.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:05 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Yes, its payment to reserve a place on a list - most have been on for several years already and they'll get the allocations when they are released.
Ok..now I get it...we have the same list but without the deposit...once the allocations are released (after launch) the dealer start calling everyone in order for a $5K deposit to reserve the actual allocation/production slot.
When your turn to submit the build comes you need to have at least 10% of the total value in a non-refundable deposit. That's how GT cars sales go down here......
Old 01-08-2019, 08:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Almost the same, 2k to go on the list, phone call once released, yes or no. If yes ~ 20k deposit to lock in a slot with allocation - can be a bit higher or lower depending on config PTS etc.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Almost the same, 2k to go on the list, phone call once released, yes or no. If yes ~ 20k deposit to lock in a slot with allocation - can be a bit higher or lower depending on config PTS etc.
Damn!! Where are you that you need a $20k deposit to order a car??
Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Damn!! Where are you that you need a $20k deposit to order a car??
Australia - A GT3 costs $USD300k - all built to order, so a $USD15k deposits is reasonable. Works both ways you get a guaranteed allocation and build and the dealer doesn't get left with a mahogany metallic GT3 with yellow contrast stitching, mahogany highlights, miami blue vents contrasting sharply with red interior

Keep in mind we have a luxury car tax and the top 10% of tax payers cover 60% of the take..........

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?