Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Learned that the side intakes are a different shape and much improved over previous gen. Screens are OEM now - another big plus.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:06 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Yep, would really like those track ready brakes, lugs and wheels. Please please be an option.
Won't be, they are specials from performance friction - you have to get them through Manthey - if they will sell and ship

18s on a GT4 with 050 soft would be excellent

Last edited by groundhog; 01-05-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:30 PM
groundhog
Race Car

There are a lot of assumptions around the 4l, its the head design and internals (cams, rods, crank, pistons) that count - the short block is inconsequential other than in terms of liners, oil flow and cylinder wall thickness (if there is a material difference). From a performance perspective I quite like what Porsche have done with the 9A1, simple, effective and reliable particularly if mated with PDK. Hits a lot of buttons for a track car. Then again there are an awful lot of used 991 GT3s on the market (at least where I live).

I could see Porsche using the 4l block and more mainstream internals to deliver between 425 (with more under the curve up top) and 450HP - I certainly wouldn't be surprised if peak HP remained at 425 - the small increase in torque across the rev range would be beneficial, nice but not other worldly if the top end is artificially capped where the really good gains could be achieved. (However that is dependant on the compression ratio too e.g 12.5? 12.9? and an unlikely 13.3).

They may do something more special for a RS version but other than that watch out for marketing around the 4L moniker if indeed it does eventuate e.g. look at the gear ratios and torque curve, ignore the marketing

Last edited by groundhog; 01-06-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Won't be, they are specials from performance friction - you have to get them through Manthey - if they will sell and ship

18s on a GT4 with 050 soft would be excellent

Actually they are not that special, and are standard Cup car parts. Race car parts can be had via PMNA, if ones knows the part numbers to order them.

But truth is, they are race parts, for street use they won't be satisfactory.

Come to think of it, those are from the Cup car, so the mounting are for Cup car suspension, not normal GT4 suspension.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:15 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Actually they are not that special, and are standard Cup car parts. Race car parts can be had via PMNA, if ones knows the part numbers to order them.

But truth is, they are race parts, for street use they won't be satisfactory.

Come to think of it, those are from the Cup car, so the mounting are for Cup car suspension, not normal GT4 suspension.
Specials as in non-Brembo and indeed they look like the nickel coated callipers found on Cup cars. The other issue around swapping out for PFC includes the brake master cylinder and slave plus PTV and ABS calibration (if attempting a swap to a road going GT4).

I can see where gazza is coming from - I suspect he needs a car that can be road registered at the point of purchase and gets frustrated at the lack of options of wheels and tires (due to clearance issues with Brembos). I have found this a big issue in road rallying (for example) particularly given supp regs specify the actual number of tires - in fact your supply is marked up during scruit. In most cases this means you are reliant on Cup 2s or Trof Rs which are much slower than 050 (soft).

Do you know if the gear ratios and final reduction ratio have remained the same or have changed?

Last edited by groundhog; 01-06-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:38 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee

Agree that there are few situations where you can fully enjoy the limits of the car legally on the road. One can hold the speed limit through corners on very twisty roads, or do quick bursts of acceleration and back off around the limit. It would be nice though for the gearing to be such that 2nd gear tops out around say 112 km/h instead of 135 km/h as it does currently on the GT4. This would provide 20% stronger acceleration at road legal speeds.
You can hold the speed limit through corners in a Camry. There's really almost no way to push the gt4 to anywhere close to its limits off the track.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
More pics for you folks!
Dumb question - what's the difference between the "GT4 MR" and the "GT4 Clubsport" - is that denoting "Manthey Racing" as in the equivalent of an "AMG" or "M" moniker?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:41 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
EVO wasnt too far from the truth back in February of last year.
Kudos.

https://www.evomagazine.com.au/new-p...lat-six-power/
Too far from what “truth”?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 AM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Dumb question - what's the difference between the "GT4 MR" and the "GT4 Clubsport" - is that denoting "Manthey Racing" as in the equivalent of an "AMG" or "M" moniker?
In the world of Porsche, GT is the ‘equivalent’ of the AMG or M moniker.

MR would be closer to DINAN for BMW or BRABUS for Mercedes. It is over and above the Motorsport treatment from the factory.

What makes Manthey Racing slightly different is it is owned by Porsche which adds an additional layer of complexity when trying to compare. However, MR is definitely more than AMG or M.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
The M2 Competitions move to a S55 engine was driven entirely by one thing - Emissions Regulation. So for a change, we can be thankful that regs were to the benefit of the enthusiast. BMW had no other choice, so not a direct comparable to the GT4/3 case.
Agreed, but won't Porsche be hampered by emission regulations? Although I have no clue as of which of their engines meets the CO standard, or whatever criteria allows them more leniancy?

Old 01-06-2019, 06:33 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Is there a reason rotors aren't cross-drilled as in road models? I suspect cross-drilling helps with channeling away the water in wet conditions. Probably there are heat dissipation benefits too. Wouldn't race model gain from such benefits?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:36 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Cross drilled tend to crack around the holes after being beat on for a bit.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
More pics for you folks!
Great package.
i hope the PDK street version will come close to it!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by greggmorton

In the world of Porsche, GT is the ‘equivalent’ of the AMG or M moniker.

MR would be closer to DINAN for BMW or BRABUS for Mercedes. It is over and above the Motorsport treatment from the factory.

What makes Manthey Racing slightly different is it is owned by Porsche which adds an additional layer of complexity when trying to compare. However, MR is definitely more than AMG or M.
I think you will find that Manthey is owned 50% by Porsche and 50% by Olaf. So strong factory connections but independent. like a way to have a skunkworks.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Great package.
i hope the PDK street version will come close to it!
I also hope the street version comes close to the CS. Higly doubt it tho.
If I would still live in the US i would buy the track pack version. Over here in Northern Europe we are not so lucky with non street legal cars on track days.
The CS would be a great car to have as a track toy with its relatively cheap service intervals and beefed up track ready goodies.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?