Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:39 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
There are spy pics of 718 Cayman with the rear diffuser and exhausts almost identical to the GT4 mule which was labeled as the 718 "T" because it doesn't have the rear wing. Now the T has been introduced and it has a standard rear diffuser and exhaust, it's clear this test car was not the T. Which one was it then?

Maybe a GT4 touring?
Or 718 R ?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
Is the 718 Clubsport Trackday base car the basis for homologation of the 718 GT4 racecars thus disassociating the road 718 GT4 from the homologation process?

IF Yes, nothing in theory (but not economics) need be common between Clubsport Trackday car and road car.

Just a thought..
No. The trackday isn’t street legal and the homologation process means the car has to be based on a street car. It’s just a way for Porsche to get the weekend warriors to spend an extra 40k through them instead of third party tuners.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee

The 991.1 GT3 had the same bore as the 981 GT4. The 991.2 GT3 has the same bore are the 991.2 GT3. As tcsracing1 had said in an earlier post, the 982 GT4 shares its engine case with the 991.2 GT3. The GT4 has a reduced stroke and redline version of the 991.2 GT3 motor. It is a different engine, not just the old one with X51, despite having similar performance specs to the old X51 motor.
was the bore/stroke different between the 981 gt4 road car and the 991.1 X51?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 AM
blomman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Delete
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

So let’s summarize what we have learned; GT4 CS is freaking awesome. However it has absolutely nothing in common with and gives zero information as to the road going GT4. Now, what’s up with the 992 GT3?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
So let’s summarize what we have learned; GT4 CS is freaking awesome. However it has absolutely nothing in common with and gives zero information as to the road going GT4. Now, what’s up with the 992 GT3?
I don’t think your summary is accurate. Yes, the 718 GT4CS is awesome (especially the improved aero and composite materials used). However, we have learned quite a bit about the upcoming street car, specifically the engine specifications.

As mentioned by those that own GT4CS cars, the engine in the street version will be the same. A very nice interative upgrade from the 981 GT4, which was never intended to be drastically different (.1 to .2 -like).

Regarding the 992 GT3, I’m sure there is a 992 GT3 thread floating around somewhere.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee

I was initially underwhelmed that it's just a warmed over 981 GT4 with a few simple X51 mods. However, I've now realized that despite similar performance figures, this is not just the old engine with X51, but rather a downgraded 991.2 GT3 motor. It shouldn't really matter, but emotionally it makes me feel a little better.

More importantly, beyond the engine upgrades, the composite material weight reduction, suspension, and aero upgrades have been significant according to CJ's post on the 718 forum. tcsracing1 also seemed quite pleased with the new car according to his various comments. Copying CJ's post over to here:

Give me a 718 Spyder with this motor, this suspension, and a manual transmission, and I'll be a happy camper, even if it's not the lightweight mid engined GT3 we dreamed of.

Everyone is talking about horsepower in this thread, but no one's talking about torque. Given the fact that we're not going to be wringing out our Spyders on the track, but instead running around on mountain roads, it seems to me torque and gearing are the two things that are going to determine whether or not the new car feels substantially different from the 981. It looks to me like the torque rating is the same as the 981, so unless the character of the motor is drastically different, or the gearing is drastically different, I'm in the camp right now of holding on to the 981 and saving about $30,000.

Last edited by Selo; 01-04-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

Originally Posted by blackholescion

No. The trackday isn’t street legal and the homologation process means the car has to be based on a street car.
So, what street car has the 718 GT4 homologation process been based on? A street car that doesn't exist yet and hasn't even been announced yet?!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

Originally Posted by LordLucan
So, what street car has the 718 GT4 homologation process been based on? A street car that doesn't exist yet and hasn't even been announced yet?!
There's much more than meets the eye to the very unusual sequencing, with the race car out before the (still yet to be announced) road car, and the the longer the delay continues, the more tenuous the assertion that the race car homologation is based upon the road car becomes.

Hell, if it goes on much longer, the possibility of the 718 GT4 Club Sport homologation being based upon the no longer in production 981 GT4 starts to become more plausible. (One involves believing that it's based on a road car whose production only exists in the future, the other involves believing it's based on a car whose production only exists in the past).
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LordLucan
Homologation regulations are typically “manufacturer must build x cars during the first year of competition”. There may be rules around the second year as well. The road car doesn’t have to come out first.

As for the homologation on the 981, each manufacturer can homologate based on one model. They’ve already homologated the 981 and can’t use it again. Also see the previous paragraph of when cars actually need to be delivered.

In in order for Porsche to race the new GT4, they have to homologate it and to do that they have to build cars during the first year of competition. The SRO knows this is a new car and expects Porsche to produce a new street car. The 718 is basically a 981 anyway so there’s that.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Credit: https://instagram.com/t_schleicher

This looks final to me...
Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM
pothole
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Selo
Everyone is talking about horsepower in this thread, but no one's talking about torque. Given the fact that we're not going to be wringing out our Spyders on the track, but instead running around on mountain roads, it seems to me torque and gearing are the two things that are going to determine whether or not the new car feels substantially different from the 981. It looks to me like the torque rating is the same as the 981, so unless the character of the motor is drastically different, or the gearing is drastically different, I'm in the camp right now of holding on to the 981 and saving about $30,000.
I disagree fairly violently!

The new car could have identical peak torque, and still feel completely different if that torque is produced higher up the rev range. Based on the numbers seen so far, I expect the new engine to have significantly more top end sparkle, which is what the original lack. It doesn't need any additional torque whatosever. It just needs a different style of power delivery. Which it looks as though it is getting.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:00 AM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pothole

The new car could have identical peak torque, and still feel completely different if that torque is produced higher up the rev range. Based on the numbers seen so far, I expect the new engine to have significantly more top end sparkle, which is what the original lack. It doesn't need any additional torque whatosever. It just needs a different style of power delivery. Which it looks as though it is getting.
Offtopic but I had to say this. Best nickname on rennlist so far.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pothole

If it feels completely different, then it has a completely different character, and I agree that could be a good reason to purchase the new car. On the other hand, where do you drive your car that you are able to explore the top end so thoroughly? We have some nice mountain roads in New Mexico, and I'm pretty sure we're one of the lesser populated states in this country, but not many places where I can legally let the top end sparkle.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
^^^+1

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?