Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking that the CS release would clear things up a bit... Oh boy, it all got more intricate now. I can't wait for this to be over! The wait is killing me.

Meanwhile, I will keep enjoying my 981 GT4 babe.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Hi BGB - John do you have any information on gear ratios and the final reduction ratio. 😀

Looking forward to the street car reveal - given the 981 GT4 and Clubsport have the same engine it makes complete sense the 718 GT4 and Clubsport will follow the same recipe. I would be surprised if this were to change - the rabbit out of the hat scenarios - turbos, 4l are low probability outcomes other than for a special e.g GT4 RS.

The 425 HP is a nice and welcome increase - however, it is the gearing that will ultimately define how effective the car is at maximising the torque - keep in mind, given the paltry increase in torque, the difference in power under the curve between the 385HP and 425HP 9A1 is minor. Thus I do expect to see some changes in the overall gearing given that this is the approach Porsche has chosen to optimise the performance of the GT2 and GT3 stable.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Ya’ll are crazy... the credible sources are saying the street car will have the same engine as the race car. I feel like the track day version of the club sport basically is a tip off. They’re trying to sell track prepped GT4s to guys who are just using the street cars for DE.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Hi BGB - John do you have any information on gear ratios and the final reduction ratio. 😀

Looking forward to the street car reveal - given the 981 GT4 and Clubsport had the same engine it makes complete sense the 718 GT4 and Clubsport will follow the same recipe. I would be surprised if this were to change - the rabbit out of that scenarios - turbos, 4l are low probability outcomes other than for a special e.g GT4 RS.

The 425 HP is a nice and welcome increase - however, it is the gearing that will ultimately define how effective the car is at maximising the torque - keep in mind, given the paltry increase in torque the difference in power under the curve between the 385HP and 425HP 9A1 is minor. Thus I do expect to see some changes in the overall gearing given that this is the approach Porsche has chosen to optimise the performance of the GT2 and GT3 stable.
can’t wait to see those promised dynos compared to their x51 swaps too
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

very entertaining, only 51 47 more posts until 5000
race car looks great! wish I was at the ROAR!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Why I have this image in my head of Whoopsy...laughing, eating some popcorn while reading all of this.
You mean like this?

Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Ya’ll are crazy... the credible sources are saying the street car will have the same engine as the race car. I feel like the track day version of the club sport basically is a tip off. They’re trying to sell track prepped GT4s to guys who are just using the street cars for DE.
You forgot to mention that they also say any dealer can service those. Have fun getting it there since it isn't road legal. Trailer anyone?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You mean like this?

...aren't you sorry for the lives of all the poor souls here?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Im assuming we will know more come Geneva this March 7th??
Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Stoopid question!

Why is there no mesh in the bumper protecting the radiators? Is it because its a mule?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
You forgot to mention that they also say any dealer can service those. Have fun getting it there since it isn't road legal. Trailer anyone?
I feel most guys who have stripped their GT4s into DE only cars have trailers
Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free

That really depends on your point of view. The factory car has factory engineered cage, factory engineered Cup car suspension, factory engineered aero, so one KOWS everything will work perfectly. A regular street car with tracked prep by a 3rd party company using 3rd parts 'might' 'work', but you wouldn't know if everything works fine until something happens, namely the safety strength of the cage, do you want to find out first hand how a 3rd party cage hold up vs a factory cage? This season I know first hand and for a fact the factory engineered cage is extremely sturdy and can stand a hit with me inside it. Care to ask another had an incident with a 3rd party cage?

While the CS uses the street car's PDK, 7th gear is locked out again, something I don't think 3rd party tuner can do.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
...aren't you sorry for the lives of all the poor souls here?
Nope.

At times I feel sorry for myself too. Especially when Porsche changed stuff after and things didn't come out as I was told.

There had been so many changes last minute that even I am confused and mixed up. What was scheduled and on track isn't anymore. What was rejected is now back one the board, etc.

Tom had been pretty spot on, he had 2 cars on order from a while ago and he is racing them, so was tight and pretty much in talks with them everyday.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

That really depends on your point of view. The factory car has factory engineered cage, factory engineered Cup car suspension, factory engineered aero, so one KOWS everything will work perfectly. A regular street car with tracked prep by a 3rd party company using 3rd parts 'might' 'work', but you wouldn't know if everything works fine until something happens, namely the safety strength of the cage, do you want to find out first hand how a 3rd party cage hold up vs a factory cage? This season I know first hand and for a fact the factory engineered cage is extremely sturdy and can stand a hit with me inside it. Care to ask another had an incident with a 3rd party cage?

While the CS uses the street car's PDK, 7th gear is locked out again, something I don't think 3rd party tuner can do.
all valid reasons why a guy who might historically have opted to buy a street car and build it for DE duty might just say f it and spend the coin on the real deal from Weissach in the form of the track day club sport. Surely that was Porsche’s intention?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:57 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Nope.

At times I feel sorry for myself too. Especially when Porsche changed stuff after and things didn't come out as I was told.

There had been so many changes last minute that even I am confused and mixed up. What was scheduled and on track isn't anymore. What was rejected is now back one the board, etc.

Tom had been pretty spot on, he had 2 cars on order from a while ago and he is racing them, so was tight and pretty much in talks with them everyday.
Assuming it is true, I'd be curious to know why the street and race car engines are different. Emissions? Taxes? Costs? Homologation? Is there such a gulf between the consumer market demands and the gt4 class needs that the two cars need to be different in order to be competitive? If anyone can comment without giving away the details on the final product that would be cool....

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?