Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by LordLucan
What's your thoughts on why the race car is being released before the road car? It's unusual, isn't it?

Yes...it's unusual, usually it's the other way around.... IMO I think PAG didn't want to waste another race season with a car that needed several upgrades to remain competitive in GT4.....the US market is important, a launch of the CS so it's ready for Daytona is great promo to build momentum for the road car while providing teams a more competitive race car from the start in 2019. Last time the CS was launched in November 2015, Porsche was delivering street GT4s already for several months but it was a new car and there was no pressure from the GT4 racing series. Now they need to step up the performance on the race series...there's pressure from other manufacturers...they couldn't wait for the launch of the street GT4 to deliver the CS....
Old 01-02-2019, 10:29 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The published regulations allow a different engine.
only with a waiver and only if accepted by the SRO with good reason.

A mass produced car from a large manufacture wouldnt qualify for a waiver. Just no good reason.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:33 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarAholic
I still have hope and a feeling they'll debut the street car along side it.
The event is too small and too limited.
The street car launch will need more press and people. So a large auto show would be typical venue.
Street cars will be on the road this summer so expect to see an early 2019 car show launch.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The event is too small and too limited.
The street car launch will need more press and people. So a large auto show would be typical venue.
Street cars will be on the road this summer so expect to see an early 2019 car show launch.
Agreed....Geneva again??????
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

What's your thoughts on why the race car is being released before the road car? It's unusual, isn't it?
This is the result of the increase populartiy of GT4 racing worldwide and manufactures having to step up to stay in the game.
Aston Martin are stuffing Mercedes engines in their cars and Audi/McLaren and detuning what ever they have to fit within the rules.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:45 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

If we go by 981 dates......the first official youtube videos and EVO interview were released first week of February. Then the official launch at Geneva with actual deliveries on Summer 2015......sounds like they are following the same plan.
Of course this time the CS will be revealed first so this may force to release the pre-launch videos, interviews, teasers a bit sooner.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
only with a waiver and only if accepted by the SRO with good reason.

A mass produced car from a large manufacture wouldnt qualify for a waiver. Just no good reason.
TCS, many of us appreciate your patience in delivering informed responses to LordLucan. He is just trolling the board and enjoys being an instigator.
I guess every forum has to have at least one of them. lol 8-)

You can believe several highly informed, racing and development teams who are all stating that the the street GT4 is going to have the same engine.. or you can believe some guy out of, more or less nowhere, trolling the forum.. just to be an antagonist... Your choice...

I strongly believe, having followed pretty much every post on this thread, that the engine will be the same.. and many of the other specs... so Jan 3rd should be a revealing day for what the street car is going to get... it will tell us a lot.
I wouldn't let anyone convince you otherwise.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it tomorrow yet??
Old 01-02-2019, 10:55 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
Is it tomorrow yet??
According to my "sources" they get to take the CS home tomorrow Unless anything has changed....can't wait for dyno results and detail info on the drivetrain!!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
According to my "sources" they get to take the CS home tomorrow Unless anything has changed....can't wait for dyno results and detail info on the drivetrain!!!!
Hopefully they can reveal the CS cost so we can compare the delta between the old and new. Not saying it will follow exactly for the street car base price but shouldn’t be far off.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Pcar81
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

tcs, can you tell us how long of a production run PAG is planning for the GT4?
1 year, 2 years, possibly 3?

And will there be a 4rs that follows?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 12:08 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes...it's unusual, usually it's the other way around.... IMO I think PAG didn't want to waste another race season with a car that needed several upgrades to remain competitive in GT4.....the US market is important, a launch of the CS so it's ready for Daytona is great promo to build momentum for the road car while providing teams a more competitive race car from the start in 2019. Last time the CS was launched in November 2015, Porsche was delivering street GT4s already for several months but it was a new car and there was no pressure from the GT4 racing series. Now they need to step up the performance on the race series...there's pressure from other manufacturers...they couldn't wait for the launch of the street GT4 to deliver the CS....
I thought the plan for the Gen 1 Clubsport was always to have a three year life. I would guess Gen 2 road car launch is delayed after Clubsport because of GPF issues hence unusual announcement order. Then production capacity priority issues so I'd guess Osnabruck for GT4 production leaving maximum Stuttgart production for 992.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Interesting short article from Sportcar 365 in 2017 on the 981 GT4 CS and the soon to be announced 718 based CS: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/w...gt4-clubsport/
Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Teams take delivery of the cars tomorrow following the press event but the cool part is that they will go directly from the event to the garage. The Roar Before the 24 starts tomorrow & we go on track with the cars Friday morning. The fact that Porsche produces a car that can be race ready in 1 day's time is rather cool when you consider that for 15 years teams spent 200 hours during Oct - Jan building cars from scratch that started life as street cars. The year we built 2 Cayman race cars for another team, we missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and the cars were being finished literally the night before we loaded them in at the speedway.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Hey John...saw the roster for the Roar and there are 11 GT4 Clubsport classified as MR....guess they didn't want to use 718 GT4 CS or are there a few "old" MR slotted in there?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?