Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Not a GT4, but this new 718 Boxster mule (Boxster T?) is sounding pretty good to my ears. Sounds like a 981-like NA 6 to me, unlike the muted tone of earlier GT4/Spyder mules. If Porsche really announces a non-GT 718 Cayman/Boxster with a NA 4.0 motor, I’d be super excited. The sound, performance, and excitement of a big NA motor, paired with the everyday bad road practicality of a regular model.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Pcar81
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That test mule also has center exhaust.

Is this the North American model?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
With the exception of the people that built it, Mr. RDC has more first hand knowledge of the new car than anyone else I know. In late December we are allowed to touch the race car but can't share info or pics; in early January it will be released into the wild. If you're in Central Florida the first weekend in January during the Roar Before the Rolex 24 testing, TCS Racing will give you a personal tour of his new whip and you can get up close and personal with it! Til then, we can't say much other than Dear Santa, hurry the eff up!

Hey John...shall I skip your STAGE II and go right for the STAGE III on my new GT4 when I get it?
I will be at Barber in Alabama first week of February....maybe I should stop on the way back home at your shop.......
Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 AM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

With the exception of the people that built it, Mr. RDC has more first hand knowledge of the new car than anyone else I know. In late December we are allowed to touch the race car but can't share info or pics; in early January it will be released into the wild. If you're in Central Florida the first weekend in January during the Roar Before the Rolex 24 testing, TCS Racing will give you a personal tour of his new whip and you can get up close and personal with it! Til then, we can't say much other than Dear Santa, hurry the eff up!
Cheers John. I wish there was more I could personally say about this since being hands on with the cars since July but I have to respect our relationship with PAG. Once the 3rd of January rolls around, I'm open for all the questions in the world =)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:20 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zoaPG454vkg

Not a GT4, but this new 718 Boxster mule (Boxster T?) is sounding pretty good to my ears. Sounds like a 981-like NA 6 to me, unlike the muted tone of earlier GT4/Spyder mules. If Porsche really announces a non-GT 718 Cayman/Boxster with a NA 4.0 motor, I’d be super excited. The sound, performance, and excitement of a big NA motor, paired with the everyday bad road practicality of a regular model.
That car looks so boring not having the aggressive GT4/Boxster front. Looks like a Panamera almost which is fine for a car like a Panamera not a 'sportscar'. That said that car sounds better than any of the GT4/Spyder mules we have seen running around. I don't think it will be a 4 liter anything. I am convinced. It will be a 3.8 liter just tweaked for more power. Closer we get to the Jan 3rd date the more convinced I am getting the next gen is not worth trading the current gen cars for.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
+1000

BGB and TCS have posted basically the only relevant posts in the last 10 pages.
I wish i could share everything i know but we have waited this long and have been asked to keep quiet until the unveiling. Much like what Justin said, you guys will be pleased with the next generation GT4 if you're bored of your existing one and want a freshening. The 911 has gotten all of the love for the last 40 years. In 5 years time the GT4 will benefit from revisions and will blossom into even more of an awesome piece that it is today!

Originally Posted by greggmorton
I'll be down that way visiting family for the holidays and would love to check it out. Are you able to share a bit more info on Roar Before and seeing TCS new GT4 (ie do I need tickets, where can you see the car once in, etc). Thanks!
The Roar is open to the public; i don't know how much tickets are though at the moment. I will update folks as to which garage we are in when we unload at the track and anyone interested can come and get up close and personal with the car. While it's not a big secret and while there hasn't been a public announcement yet, I am going to be allowed to realize yet another lifelong goal when i get to drive this car with Tom for his IMSA debut next year!

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Will you have RS style louvered front fenders? If I am awarded an allocation, I will be getting those ASAP! I absolutely love them on the 981 GT4.
Send him a PM or ring his shop. I'm sure he has some in inventory. I put 1 photo on IG of a 4.0L X51 Cayman with those fenders and it became the most liked photo in BGB IG history!

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Hey John...shall I skip your STAGE II and go right for the STAGE III on my new GT4 when I get it?
I will be at Barber in Alabama first week of February....maybe I should stop on the way back home at your shop.......
Si amigo! Vamos! If your intuition is correct in regards to what engine the new car will have then yes, in theory, you could skip Stage II and go right to Stage III!

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
Cheers John. I wish there was more I could personally say about this since being hands on with the cars since July but I have to respect our relationship with PAG. Once the 3rd of January rolls around, I'm open for all the questions in the world =)
Your inbox is going to explode the first week in January my friend!

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
That car looks so boring not having the aggressive GT4/Boxster front. Looks like a Panamera almost which is fine for a car like a Panamera not a 'sportscar'. That said that car sounds better than any of the GT4/Spyder mules we have seen running around. I don't think it will be a 4 liter anything. I am convinced. It will be a 3.8 liter just tweaked for more power. Closer we get to the Jan 3rd date the more convinced I am getting the next gen is not worth trading the current gen cars for.
I think it really will depend on how much you have invested in the existing car and how much you're willing to part with it. I have lots of customers that are signing up for upgrades because they don't want the new car showing them up at the track so we are making plans to upgrade existing powerplants as we speak!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:16 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Regarding the Roar - I went last year and it was FABULOUS! Well worth the trip.

If you buy tickets to the Rolex24 your admission to the Roar is included. If I recall correctly - it was $20/day admission without the Rolex24 pass. And since the Rolex24 pass hadn’t yet arrived I was advised to print the confirmation email for the Rolex24 as my “ticket” to the Roar.

Best to call the Daytona ticket office or go on their website for current info — but the Roar is a bargain either way!

I’ll be at Rolex24 this year. Not sure if I’ll make the trip down for the Roar but with the unveiling of the GT4 Club Sport I am very tempted!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:25 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Possible for them to be testing GT4 engine in a non-GT4 body, just to keep everyone confused? Possible for them to test non-GT4 engines in the GT4?

A 3.8L with an X51 and some cam work to move peak HP higher in the range, with a nicely bumped redline, could be a pretty fun car to scream around in.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:33 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Possible for them to be testing GT4 engine in a non-GT4 body, just to keep everyone confused? Possible for them to test non-GT4 engines in the GT4?

A 3.8L with an X51 and some cam work to move peak HP higher in the range, with a nicely bumped redline, could be a pretty fun car to scream around in.

Doesn't make sense especially this late in the game.

And agree about the X51 comment. I would probably consider investing some money in my car and getting a tune, plenum, headers/exhaust work done and call it a day. I just need a bit more acceleration in my car!
Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker

Boxster T (or R or GT) -- GT4/Spyder NA engine with standard Boxster auto-top. Much more practical.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Not just move it up the range, but also make sure there's no dropoff. Dyno's between non X51 and X51 show power to red line versus stock where wavers/is flat after 6500 and then it falls after 7500.

Per BGB dyno:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1049...l#post14803816
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1049...l#post14825598
Old 12-13-2018, 03:14 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Si amigo! Vamos! If your intuition is correct in regards to what engine the new car will have then yes, in theory, you could skip Stage II and go right to Stage III!
well there you go....
Old 12-13-2018, 05:13 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
well there you go....
I think this put to rest what engine we will get.....can't wait to get mine and take it to the track...of course after John send me another of his Salsa Caliente recipes.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
well there you go....
Originally Posted by jmartpr
I think this put to rest what engine we will get....
Can you pls decipher?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:28 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Can you pls decipher?
Porsche might cancel my allocations for all P products!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?