Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mithiral67
Makes me want to cancel my deposit. Its terrible. Oh, and the sound on clubsports and street mules have been depressing. Been dreaming of this gen gt4 since I missed out on the first gen and nothing about this release looks promising.
It will sound better then the 981.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s2kmunop
So true. It's probably the ugliest car I have ever seen. The very slight design tweak to the wheels is horrendous. The change from a center exhaust is disgusting. The replacement of a faux diffuser to a real one is ghastly. Those taillights? I mean, I know they are the exact same shape, but they changed the interior design. Blah! And don't get me started on the exhaust sound...I know it's just a phone recording from far away on a track, and no way to know if the car has the valves opened or closed but, yuck!

Good thing there are soooo many 981 GT4s for sale.
The only thing that is questionable is the rear diffuser. Everything else is more less the same in style. Slightly accented, but not drastic.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Pcar81
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Will the cars slated for North America still have the fugly diffuser and split exhaust or is this ghastly arrangement for European models only due to stricter emissions?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The only thing that is questionable is the rear diffuser. Everything else is more less the same in style. Slightly accented, but not drastic.
Exactly. Which is why it's so funny how dramatic some are being to the looks. I can understand saying you prefer one style over another but it's essentially the same car.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks tcsracing for your replay - I should have known that my “amazing” insight would be ***** ! Anyway I am looking forward to see the new beast in January!
Old 12-11-2018, 03:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pcar81
Will the cars slated for North America still have the fugly diffuser and split exhaust or is this ghastly arrangement for European models only due to stricter emissions?
Yes, all the cars will have the questionable styling diffuser.
However, it will have a function which is the trade off.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Exactly. Which is why it's so funny how dramatic some are being to the looks. I can understand saying you prefer one style over another but it's essentially the same car.
Because style is subjective. As much as you like the rear of the new, I dislike it. The tail lights, Porsche ‘bar’, reflectors, and diffusor are not great looking in my opinion. I guess I’m getting old, but I like cleaner design elements instead of more accents. But again, that’s the price of progress. At least the diffusor has a purpose.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 PM
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
So true. It's probably the ugliest car I have ever seen. The very slight design tweak to the wheels is horrendous. The change from a center exhaust is disgusting. The replacement of a faux diffuser to a real one is ghastly. Those taillights? I mean, I know they are the exact same shape, but they changed the interior design. Blah! And don't get me started on the exhaust sound...I know it's just a phone recording from far away on a track, and no way to know if the car has the valves opened or closed but, yuck!

Good thing there are soooo many 981 GT4s for sale.

DON'T FORGET THOSE HIDEOUS WHEEL LUG NUTS!!! RUINED!!! 8-) LOL
Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Not to mention, the 981 had other great aftermarket options for changing just the diffuser. The same should hold true again.... Assuming you even see it as a problem.....
Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LordLucan
I'm not asserting there is a loophole in their rules. I'm asserting that you state you know the rules regarding GT4 homologation, but then can't point out where those rules are!

To repeat, where are these rules you keep referring to?
Can you please just start a thread about GT4 racing rules and then those that want to participate can? Or let it go?

This isn't the thread for it and it has gone on for pages.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:23 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

Because style is subjective. As much as you like the rear of the new, I dislike it. The tail lights, Porsche ‘bar’, reflectors, and diffusor are not great looking in my opinion. I guess I’m getting old, but I like cleaner design elements instead of more accents. But again, that’s the price of progress. At least the diffusor has a purpose.
Of course style is subjective. That's what I said. But to call it terrible, hideous, so ugly that it makes you want to puke....and then proceed to call the 981 beautiful and timeless is just crazy to me. They are so similar that the vast majority, not on Rennlist, wouldn't be able to pick out the differences, diffusor aside. I think it looks as good as the 981 but no real steps forward in beauty, just more aggressive styling. So it just depends what you like more. Speaking of taillights, I thought the clear tails on the 981 were meh. Reminded me of the old altezza style lights. Don't get me started on the clear tails on the 991.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 PM
MC129
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LordLucan
Agreed. Parting shot - there is nothing in the SRO GT4 homologation rules that requires the 718 GT4 Club Sport to have the same engine as the 718 GT4 road car.
This message is hidden because LordLucan is on your ignore list.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MC129
This message is hidden because LordLucan is on your ignore list.
Then how did you quote him?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Amen to that !!!!! I really admire TCSRACING patience....
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Of course style is subjective. That's what I said. But to call it terrible, hideous, so ugly that it makes you want to puke....and then proceed to call the 981 beautiful and timeless is just crazy to me. They are so similar that the vast majority, not on Rennlist, wouldn't be able to pick out the differences, diffusor aside. I think it looks as good as the 981 but no real steps forward in beauty, just more aggressive styling. So it just depends what you like more. Speaking of taillights, I thought the clear tails on the 981 were meh. Reminded me of the old altezza style lights. Don't get me started on the clear tails on the 991.
It might be crazy to you, but that’s Porsche fans. No other car fan base wants so little change in new models. I mean there are guys who spend a million dollars plus on 911s that look like old cars but perform like new ones.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?